Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok sober(ish) again. Love our draft for first 3 picks hustwaite at 37 a steal and a point of difference. Don’t know anything about O’Sullivan except 1 article that said he is a talent cruelled by injuries. Although he said some things that could be construed as FIGJAM so be warned.
Only thing I know about Bailey MacDonald is watching the metro v country final and exclaiming f^*k he’s fast!
Some good options seemingly didn’t get drafted - d’aloia, magor, drury, Leary, teal, munkara would love to see us take d’aloia or magor or drury from what I’ve seen. Lawrence and Bennett’s can train for ssp spot and play for box hill for msd spot when we put frosty on the LT injury list for running headlong into a goalpost!
Disappointed to weaken our hand next year but understand live trading is a terrible game to be in if you are the chaser and the trade itself wasn’t that bad viewed in that context. My question was simply are we advanced enough in our rebuild to be trading out that much draft capital, which will naturally be a contentious (and ultimately unprovable) debate.
How anyone could rate our draft as a D+ is obviously agenda driven. 2 first rounders and a touted first rounder at 37 and 2 high upside late picks is a good haul.
Right time to drink again…
FB19 out.

Not sure if this has already been discussed regarding our dealings with Sydney...

I'm sure Sydney took Vickery to get back at the Hawks, after Hawthorn took Weddle.
Most mock drafts had Sydney taking Weddle with their first pick. Sydney thought they'd trade pick 18 and get some future picks, expecting Weddle to be their two picks later at their next pick (20). But Hawthorn pounced.
We completely shafted Sydney. Not only did they trade picks with us, but we used their pick to take who they most wanted.
Hence, I believe it's part of why they took Vickery. And personally, I don't think we rated Vickery that highly.

Ok sober(ish) again. Love our draft for first 3 picks hustwaite at 37 a steal and a point of difference. Don’t know anything about O’Sullivan except 1 article that said he is a talent cruelled by injuries. Although he said some things that could be construed as FIGJAM so be warned.
Only thing I know about Bailey MacDonald is watching the metro v country final and exclaiming f^*k he’s fast!
Some good options seemingly didn’t get drafted - d’aloia, magor, drury, Leary, teal, munkara would love to see us take d’aloia or magor or drury from what I’ve seen. Lawrence and Bennett’s can train for ssp spot and play for box hill for msd spot when we put frosty on the LT injury list for running headlong into a goalpost!
Disappointed to weaken our hand next year but understand live trading is a terrible game to be in if you are the chaser and the trade itself wasn’t that bad viewed in that context. My question was simply are we advanced enough in our rebuild to be trading out that much draft capital, which will naturally be a contentious (and ultimately unprovable) debate.
How anyone could rate our draft as a D+ is obviously agenda driven. 2 first rounders and a touted first rounder at 37 and 2 high upside late picks is a good haul.
Right time to drink again…
FB19 out.

Riley Beveridge was really high on him last night, did mention that O’Sullivan was keen to show that he is one of the best in the entire draft so hopefully that desire equals hard work.

Not sure if this has already been discussed regarding our dealings with Sydney...

I'm sure Sydney took Vickery to get back at the Hawks, after Hawthorn took Weddle.
Most mock drafts had Sydney taking Weddle with their first pick. Sydney thought they'd trade pick 18 and get some future picks, expecting Weddle to be their two picks later at their next pick (20). But Hawthorn pounced.
We completely shafted Sydney. Not only did they trade picks with us, but we used their pick to take who they most wanted.
Hence, I believe it's part of why they took Vickery. And personally, I don't think we rated Vickery that highly.
I think that view makes sense, but realistically an experienced and generally successful recruiting group would only ever pick someone they thought was worthy of that pick. Theres no way I pick a bloke i genuinely didnt want, waste years of hard recruiting work and future resources for a petty reason. I can see a team forcing another to match in those circumstances, but you still need to be happy with the kid unless the other team calls your bluff.

If I was Sydney and truly felt annoyed the Hawks took Weddle before us, Id be twice as motivated to make sure the next kid we pick is the best one he could be.

At the end of the day, if a club isnt making the absolute best decision possible for them at every opportunity youd potentially fall behind everyone else who should also be doing the same.

Sent from my SCV41 using Tapatalk

You’re speaking about professional and highly regarded list managers and recruiters. I very much doubt shafting people is up there on their priority list when considering the future of an 18yo.

Listening to both Beatson and Mackenzie both clubs rated Vickery. Swans had him ranked their 12th best player in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Media outlets are targeting certain supporter groups now with their analysis to get clicks as they know they react

SEN have made a conscious decision to go after North/Hawks/Tigers as have Fox

Its been happening for awhile, but its now a concerted effort and a targeted one
Yep. Kane Cornes' BSB + Account number has been doing this for years 😂

You’re speaking about professional and highly regarded list managers and recruiters. I very much doubt shafting people is up there on their priority list when considering the future of an 18yo.

Listening to both Beatson and Mackenzie both clubs rated Vickery. Swans had him ranked their 12th best player in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are right but Beatson comes across as a bit of a campaigner... Can't stand him

I think our young small forward stocks are pretty good. We've got Butler, Brockman, MacDonald, and Moore all good shots for best 22 this season, with JOS and Seamus developing in the VFL ready to take their chance when it comes. Hopefully we pick up Will Elliot as a flyer in the rookie draft and try and get some tall forwards working up through Box Hill, we seems to do really well when we get kids through the B Team system.
Speaking of our small forward stocks and with us picking up so many mids in the draft you have to wonder if Wingard's days in the middle are over and that he'll be a stay at home forward now. If he can hit form up front in the twilight of his career it will go a long way to salvaging what we gave up for him. Keeping him off ball will also likely extend his career too and hopefully limit the soft tissues injuries.

You are right but Beatson comes across as a bit of a campaigner... Can't stand him
Sydney’s benefits as a northern state expansion club really need to removed in the back of their conduct.. They scream blue murder whenever their academy benefits are threatened but will do all they can to exploit and undermine other clubs position to benefit their own. I know they are acting in the best interest of their own club but they should be forced to stand on their own two feet.. they have access to fathers sons, their academy should be in line with other southern states.. GWS and GC are the only two clubs that should have top end academy access whilst they can’t access father son picks..I really can’t stand the way Sydney conducted business in the draft, really poor form..

Just started listening to an SEN interview with Mark McKenzie and he didn’t respond for 10 seconds at the start. Sorry but sometimes the obvious is just the best…
Fall Asleep Knock Out GIF by Ovation TV

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Sydney wanted him that much they would have just picked him with pick 18. Mock drafts are not the views of list managers. The club is also not going to pick up a player they don't want purely to spite another team, it just does not happen.

Fox Footy had the players we selected ranked as this prior to the draft:
1 - Mackenzie @ 10

2 - Weddle @ 23

3 - Hustwaite @ 29

4 - O’Sullivan - over 50

5 - MacDonald @ 40

So our first two picks were 3 and 5 over what they ranked, so pretty close to what they thought.

Hustwaite 8 picks later and MacDonald 11 picks later, both these 2 slid a bit going by their ranking.

O’Sullivan the only bolter.

And then they give us a D+, even with the trade swap with Sydney we at least broke even with is at a minimum of a pass mark, so a C or C+

Each year I’d love them to compare their rankings from 5 years ago to now and re rank them to see how different they are.
There’d be plenty of egg on their faces me thinks

I think that view makes sense, but realistically an experienced and generally successful recruiting group would only ever pick someone they thought was worthy of that pick. Theres no way I pick a bloke i genuinely didnt want, waste years of hard recruiting work and future resources for a petty reason. I can see a team forcing another to match in those circumstances, but you still need to be happy with the kid unless the other team calls your bluff.

If I was Sydney and truly felt annoyed the Hawks took Weddle before us, Id be twice as motivated to make sure the next kid we pick is the best one he could be.

At the end of the day, if a club isnt making the absolute best decision possible for them at every opportunity youd potentially fall behind everyone else who should also be doing the same.

Sent from my SCV41 using Tapatalk
I totally agree with you, but I did say it may have been 'part' of the reason, not the main reason. For example, if Sydney had 3 players they rated highly and more-or-less equally at pick 27, and couldn't really separate them, then, maybe, tipping the ledger may have been to take Vickery who Hawthorn wanted because we took Weddle.

If you take Vickery and pick 27 out of the discussion, and looked at pick 18 as a separate entity, ask yourself 'was Sydney pissed off' that we took the player they wanted, with the pick we asked for, that they kindly traded to us? Remember, Sydney did us a favour with the pick trades because we approached them. They obliged and as soon as they turned around, we stuck a knife in their back lol.

I totally agree with you, but I did say it may have been 'part' of the reason, not the main reason. For example, if Sydney had 3 players they rated highly and more-or-less equally at pick 27, and couldn't really separate them, then, maybe, tipping the ledger may have been to take Vickery who Hawthorn wanted because we took Weddle.

If you take Vickery and pick 27 out of the discussion, and looked at pick 18 as a separate entity, ask yourself 'was Sydney pissed off' that we took the player they wanted, with the pick we asked for, that they kindly traded to us? Remember, Sydney did us a favour with the pick trades because we approached them. They obliged and as soon as they turned around, we stuck a knife in their back lol.
People watch too much television

If you seriously think they said" We will trade you this pick if you don't pick Weddle" and then we go and pick Weddle, no club would purposely burn bridges like that, its self harm at its finest, it just doesn't happen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back