Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You’re speaking about professional and highly regarded list managers and recruiters. I very much doubt shafting people is up there on their priority list when considering the future of an 18yo.

Listening to both Beatson and Mackenzie both clubs rated Vickery. Swans had him ranked their 12th best player in the draft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
12th best? And you believe that?

So they must have rated Konstanty who they picked with their first, in the top 10!

C'mon mate.

D+ my ass.

Extremely happy with our first three, and O'Sullivan and BMac seem to offer something valuable...

How foxfooty gave us that ranking... they're just second-hand analysts...

The whole ranking must largely be because of what we gave away to get pick 18.

Using people's beloved points system it'll probably be a top 5ish in points to get pick 18 this year.

Surely Vickery isn't ranked higher on their board that few of the other guys picked after him
View attachment 1564692
Maybe he was for the Swans, they have a great track record of developing raw talent. I'm alright with him getting taken, I don't know where he fits into our development timeline and I'd rate HH and JOS ahead personally.

Looking at the trade in hindsight, the three players available at our original pick that I would have liked were Burgiel, Hotton, and Hustwaite and we got one of those with 37. Port gave up a F2 last year to move up two spots. How anyone says we didn't do extremely well is beyond me when you look at the actual players and not just the numbers. If, in an alternate world, we took Hustwaite at 27 I don't think anyone would have batted an eye. If we've essentially used a F2+F3 to take a player we rate as a top 15 talent we've done very well.

For the rookie draft, Szybkowski, Magor, D'Aloia, Teal, Gilbee, and Seth Campbell would all be good pickups on talent. Magor and Campbell look the most likely just based on need, and we talked with Szybkowski a lot through the year. Teal and Gilbee aren't positional needs, but there's a mountain of talent there if we want it. Will Elliot as a train-on or later rookie would be a good shout, he still has the drive to be great and just needs a good run without injury.

I totally agree with you, but I did say it may have been 'part' of the reason, not the main reason. For example, if Sydney had 3 players they rated highly and more-or-less equally at pick 27, and couldn't really separate them, then, maybe, tipping the ledger may have been to take Vickery who Hawthorn wanted because we took Weddle.

If you take Vickery and pick 27 out of the discussion, and looked at pick 18 as a separate entity, ask yourself 'was Sydney pissed off' that we took the player they wanted, with the pick we asked for, that they kindly traded to us? Remember, Sydney did us a favour with the pick trades because we approached them. They obliged and as soon as they turned around, we stuck a knife in their back lol.

Interestingly, 1-2 days prior to the draft, Kinnear Beatson had an interview with Cal Twomey and Co. He specifically said they had plans to trade one of their first rounders to get back into the 2nd round and at the same time strengthen their 2023 draft hand. So I would say the hawks and Sydney had discussed this trade before draft day. They weren’t doing us any favours.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The expectation is that we’ll redraft Seamus and leave a spot spare - but lots of interesting names still available. Szy, teal, Gilbee, Magor - Will we grab one as too good to pass up? Would be taking chance that we’ll have a lti that will open msd spot (which is reasonable but would be shame to miss msd)

Interestingly, 1-2 days prior to the draft, Kinnear Beatson had an interview with Cal Twomey and Co. He specifically said they had plans to trade one of their first rounders to get back into the 2nd round and at the same time strengthen their 2023 draft hand. So I would say the hawks and Sydney had discussed this trade before draft day. They weren’t doing us any favours.

Mark Mckenzie seemed to say that we had this planned out from the trade period, they just wanted to make sure Weddle was going to be available at the pick.

The expectation is that we’ll redraft Seamus and leave a spot spare - but lots of interesting names still available. Szy, teal, Gilbee, Magor - Will we grab one as too good to pass up? Would be taking chance that we’ll have a lti that will open msd spot (which is reasonable but would be shame to miss msd)

I think MacDonald was the interesting name too good to pass up on. We were only planning to take four in the ND, so MacDonald onto the list as the fifth will mean an unexciting rookie draft.

We're going to keep a spare spot for pre-season and have a few Box Hill guys and other SSP potentials training with us, including potentially Lawrence I'd imagine.

The more interesting question is whether Bennetts is worth the free hit as a Cat B pick even if we had originally earmarked it for Vickery.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope you guys don't mind me coming here but I thought I would ask about Vickery. What are your general impressions of him? Beatson seemed to believe Vickery would be the new Nick Smith in that he would be the defender to go onto an opposition's small forward. Is that a role he would be suited for?

Also have to say I am still so annoyed you guys got Hustwaite. Wanted him in the first round so you guys getting him at pick 37 is a complete steal. Hope he does well so I can be proven right :)

Hope you guys don't mind me coming here but I thought I would ask about Vickery. What are your general impressions of him? Beatson seemed to believe Vickery would be the new Nick Smith in that he would be the defender to go onto an opposition's small forward. Is that a role he would be suited for?

Also have to say I am still so annoyed you guys got Hustwaite. Wanted him in the first round so you guys getting him at pick 37 is a complete steal. Hope he does well so I can be proven right :)
We’re pretty disappointed we didn’t get him, his highlights package is great. Whether or not he’s worth 27 is another question but no doubt Swans have done their homework.

Mark Mckenzie seemed to say that we had this planned out from the trade period, they just wanted to make sure Weddle was going to be available at the pick.
Let me assure you that weddle was a player we were really keen on we had put in place plans to get him and when he was still available at the swans pick we pounced

Vickery has a lot of upside with his speed, reach, and disposal all being very good. I'm not sure if he can play on anyone at AFL level without a lot of work in the gym, he's very easily brushed aside in marking contests and at ground level. I'd compare him more to Saad, he can take a nice mark and run at a million miles an hour with a ripper kick in the 20-40m range but throw him on Charlie Cameron and he's letting a bag of goals through. With your guy's development squad, I expect him to be the perennial AA back pocket by this time next season.

Hustwaite is such a talent, I reckon we'll be running a Hustwaite-Mackenzie-Ward midfield for many years to come. He's just so classy, great vision, and a real will to improve. Players that learn new roles and make big strides as a junior are invaluable at senior football clubs because they're the ones who will do everything to improve. We saw this with Connor MacDonald last year, and now Mackenzie, Weddle, Hustwaite, and B. MacDonald are all fast improvers with mountains of drive. JOS went into the year highly ranked, and I loved seeing him talk about wanting to prove the world wrong and be one of the best players in the draft. He reminds me of Ginnivan in that respect. I'd be intrigued to see Hustwaite float deep as a forward, he's a good judge of the footy and should be a neat kick for goal while keeping the opposing interceptors accountable.

It is amazing how quickly we move on from the players we wanted the club to pick 40-18hrs ago.
I am now wrapped with what we have done!
Will Elliott would be and intriguing pick up in the rookie draft?

I’d love that. I also love the idea of getting Lawrence and Bennetts but we don’t have the space to get then all and Seamus. 😔

Bennetts is the only interesting watch for today. Do we rate him enough?

Otherwise it will only be Seamus selected in the Rookie draft.
We will keep that last spot available, most likely for the MSD. Stronger draft next year, & we will likely have access to an early MSD pick. They have proven to be outstanding value in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back