Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I feel like Mackenzie needs to work on his bodywork before he becomes a forward target. His core strength is great at ground level, but he gets moved off the mark a bit too easily. Whether that's strength or technique, it can be worked on in a professional environment. He doesn't leap for marks as Clark does, he can stand tall but isn't crashing over the top of a pack. Clark's forward craft really impressed me, he knows how to nudge players under the footy and when to fly up over the top. Mackenzie has the frame to float down and make a loose defender pay for playing off him, but Clark is someone who can be a genuine target heading inside 50.
i think Clark would be a better forward than MacKenzie as MacKenzie was a half back in his underage year and a good one too, i think his forward craft is lacking compared to Clark, one of the reasons i liked MacKenzie over Clark is because of their interviews, they are very different types of kids, Clark is a jock type from the movies and MacKenzie is a more quiet reserved type, i like MacKenzies speed on the ground more also, i like that he has a height advantage, i like that he has shown a lot of improvement this year with his chance to play midfield instead of defence last year for Vic Metro/Sand, i like the fact he is a star in a premiership winning team, i like that he looks like a slightly different version of Will Ashcroft stylistically as well as physical similarities, Clark being a Collingwood supporter Vs MacKenzie being a Hawks supporter is a small bonus, Clark does have moments of brilliance and is a good i50 kick, he also has a more developed forward game, like i said its a coin toss, after seeing them both play over a dozen games i just favour MacKenzie for his burst away from packs ability that he has over Clark and we need this more imo, if we were looking for a more in and under medium pace type Clark is more that type, maybe we see Clark as a TOM replacement? i could see that, i wish i had the contested ball and clearance numbers for both, i think they are similar?.

Coby Burgiel is an interesting prospect, he was killing it in the midfield earlier in the year which is when i first started adding him to my lists, got asked about his parents, little did i know he was the son of an ex-hawk listed player, played well in midfield in the Vic Trials at Werribee, miserably cold windy day tbh, 1 aspect to his game i like is his endurance, in the 4th quarter when most players start to fall off, he seems to take off, so he must have a good endurance base from what you see on ground, i dont have combine numbers, but im guessing he will have good long distance combine numbers, he was a dangerous forward for Vic Country and in his interview where he seemed very level headed and a good bloke, he seemed to also enjoy half back, very versatile, can accumulate and win contested footy in the centre with a good burst of pace to find space, he can kick a goal from tight angles and he likes the freedom to run off of half back(he generally excels in all areas from what i have seen), i was hoping he would be a later option for us (as nobody but i had even mentioned him until the champs were near an end) some other bigfooty draft watchers started talking him up and Cal Twomey put him in his top 30 recently, meaning if we want him it will have to be pick 25 or thereabouts, but not sure he fits a need of pure midfielder/general forward?

post Grand Final Update

1. Will Ashcroft - 180cm 76kg - Sandringham (Bris F/S)
2. Harry Sheezel - 184cm 77kg - Sandringham
3. George Wardlaw - 182cm 81kg - Oakleigh
-----------------------------------------------------------Elite Tier ^
4. Aaron Cadman - 194cm 88kg - GWV
5. Elijah Tsatas - 186cm 79kg - Oakleigh
6. Cam MacKenzie - 187cm 80kg - Sandringham (StK NGA)
7. Jhye Clark - 181cm 77kg - Geelong
8. Mattaes Phillipou - 191cm 83kg - WWT
9. Jedd Busslinger - 196cm 82kg - East Perth
------------------------------------------------------------ Top Tier ^
10. Reuben Ginbey - 189cm 85kg - East Perth
11. Bailey Humphrey - 184cm 86kg - Gippsland
12. Lewis Hayes - 197cm 81kg - Eastern
13. Elijah Hewett - 186cm 82kg - Swan Districts
14. Matthew Jefferson - 194cm 76kg - Oakleigh
15. Isaac Keeler - 198cm 88kg - North Adelaide (Adel NGA)
16. Oliver Hollands - 184cm 71kg - Murray
17. Adam D'Aloia - 186cm 86kg - WWT
18. Mitch Szybkowski - 186cm 84kg - Dandenong
19. Jaspa Fletcher - 184cm 73kg - Bris A (Bris A)
20. Brayden George - 185cm 87kg - Murray
21. Anthony Munkara - 186cm 77kg - NT/West Adelaide (Ess NGA)
22. Olli Hotton - 181cm 77kg - Sandringham
23. Tom McCallum - 192cm 78kg - Tasmania
--------------------------------------------------------------- High Quality Prospects ^
24. Coby Burgiel - 183cm 76kg - Gippsland
25. Henry Hustwaite - 194cm 84kg - Dandenong
26. Al Davey Jnr - 181cm 74kg - Oakleigh (Ess F/S)
27. Jed Hagan - 175cm 73kg - East Fremantle
28. Darcy Jones - 175cm 67kg - Swan Districts
29. Josh Weddle - 191cm 87kg - Oakleigh
30. Kobe Ryan - 183cm 73kg - West Adelaide
31. Harry Barnett - 202cm 93kg - West Adelaide
32. Lachlan Cowan - 188cm 81kg - Tasmania
33. Luke Teal - 188cm 78kg - Oakleigh
34. Charlie Clarke - 182cm 75kg - Sandringham
35. Brandon Leary - 177cm - Tasmania
36. Hugh Bond - 184cm 81kg - GWV
37. Shadeau Brain - 185cm - Bris A (Bris A)
38. Will Dowling - 187cm 79kg - North Adelaide
39. Jonti Schuback - 183cm 75kg - Gippsland
40. Noah Long - 178cm 74kg - Gippsland
41. Ed Allan - 194cm 82kg - Claremont
42. Archie Lovelock - 178cm 72kg - Glenlg
42. Callum Verrell - 187cm 79kg - Eastern
43. Blake Drury - 177cm 73kg - Oakleigh
44. Jacob Konstanty - 176cm 70kg - Gippsland
45. Cooper Vickery - 180cm 72kg - Gippsland (Haw NGA)
46. Jake Walker - 184cm 85kg - Glenlg
47. Jaiden Magor - 185cm 79kg - South Adelaide
48. Sam Gilbey - 188cm 71kg - Claremont
49. Harry Rowston - 180cm - Calder/GWS A
50. Harry Lemmey - 199cm 93kg - West Adel
---------------------------------------------------------------- Quality Prospects ^

other good prospects that have good qualities: J.Ryan, Scully, Hempel, Penny, J.Davey, Harvey, J.Lawrence(Haw F/S), Petric, K.Windsor, Ashwin, M.Clohesy, T.Clohesy, Northam, O'Sullivan, Binns, Van Es, Fogarty, Wright, McMullin, C.Mitchell, Foster, Michaelanny, Sadler, Michael, MacNeill, Cleaver, Green, Julian, Cole, Campbell, Madden, Knobel and Campbell-Farrell

Josh Bennetts (Haw NGA)

Coby Burgiel is an interesting prospect, he was killing it in the midfield earlier in the year which is when i first started adding him to my lists, got asked about his parents, little did i know he was the son of an ex-hawk listed player, played well in midfield in the Vic Trials at Werribee, miserably cold windy day tbh, 1 aspect to his game i like is his endurance, in the 4th quarter when most players start to fall off, he seems to take off, so he must have a good endurance base from what you see on ground, i dont have combine numbers, but im guessing he will have good long distance combine numbers, he was a dangerous forward for Vic Country and in his interview where he seemed very level headed and a good bloke, he seemed to also enjoy half back, very versatile, can accumulate and win contested footy in the centre with a good burst of pace to find space, he can kick a goal from tight angles and he likes the freedom to run off of half back(he generally excels in all areas from what i have seen), i was hoping he would be a later option for us (as nobody but i had even mentioned him until the champs were near an end) some other bigfooty draft watchers started talking him up and Cal Twomey put him in his top 30 recently, meaning if we want him it will have to be pick 25 or thereabouts, but not sure he fits a need of pure midfielder/general forward?
I do like Coby Burgiel. However, if we were to select him, do we think he could develop sufficiently to play as a forward? I only have that query regarding him. In my opinion, we ought to use our second pick to select a more seasoned forward like Clarke, Jones, or Konstanty. Mids and forwards should be prioritised in this year's draft, especially with our top-end picks, because it's likely that a forward/mid/forward will be our top selection in 2023. Having said that, Burgiel's talent might be too obvious to ignore, and I'd be delighted if we chose to select him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I want a run and carry centre square mid. McKenzie isn't that. He's an accumulator rather than a playmaker. We need a playmaker with our first pick. I worry about McKenzies running power at the top level. I feel he might be a risk defensively.

I want a run and carry centre square mid. McKenzie isn't that. He's an accumulator rather than a playmaker. We need a playmaker with our first pick. I worry about McKenzies running power at the top level. I feel he might be a risk defensively.
So RR at 7 would you prefer Phillipou? He is still evolving from a forward to a midfielder but he is strong, tall and can break away from a pack

So RR at 7 would you prefer Phillipou? He is still evolving from a forward to a midfielder but he is strong, tall and can break away from a pack
He would have to be in the mix esp being so bottom age. McKenzie is the one I've seen live and I don't think he is what we need.

i think Clark would be a better forward than MacKenzie as MacKenzie was a half back in his underage year and a good one too, i think his forward craft is lacking compared to Clark, one of the reasons i liked MacKenzie over Clark is because of their interviews, they are very different types of kids, Clark is a jock type from the movies and MacKenzie is a more quiet reserved type, i like MacKenzies speed on the ground more also, i like that he has a height advantage, i like that he has shown a lot of improvement this year with his chance to play midfield instead of defence last year for Vic Metro/Sand, i like the fact he is a star in a premiership winning team, i like that he looks like a slightly different version of Will Ashcroft stylistically as well as physical similarities, Clark being a Collingwood supporter Vs MacKenzie being a Hawks supporter is a small bonus, Clark does have moments of brilliance and is a good i50 kick, he also has a more developed forward game, like i said its a coin toss, after seeing them both play over a dozen games i just favour MacKenzie for his burst away from packs ability that he has over Clark and we need this more imo, if we were looking for a more in and under medium pace type Clark is more that type, maybe we see Clark as a TOM replacement? i could see that, i wish i had the contested ball and clearance numbers for both, i think they are similar?.

Great insights mate, as always.

Watching last night, and with Newcombe, Ward and Worpel likely to be major parts of our midfield mix, I thought we desperately need to find a Chad Warner. Not a massive accumulator, but someone that can burst from stoppage and have a massive impact on the game with 20 touches.

With Tsastas unlikely, could MacKenzie be this?

Last edited:
I wonder if we see Day as our run and carry midfielder given the amount of times Sam put faith into him and threw him in the guts.

I don't see it personally would prefer his skill on the outside but if he was to bulk up he might be an option as that first or second receiver.

I don't know what Mackenzie you've been watching, but Cam is pretty much the exact player you just said we need. Potentially his biggest knock is his lack of top-end, 30+disposal games, but his stride kicking, pace, stamina and game sense making him a perfect playmaker and impact midfielder. I'm not sure who you're watching if you don't rate his defensive workrate, he isn't a behemoth Jack Steele type grunt but he works both ways and has a solid, fundamental tackling technique. He spent a good chunk of his academy development as a back pocket, so he's not going to be inept at 1-on-1 defending.

I wonder if we see Day as our run and carry midfielder given the amount of times Sam put faith into him and threw him in the guts.

I don't see it personally would prefer his skill on the outside but if he was to bulk up he might be an option as that first or second receiver.
He will need to work on his awareness in traffic. He was getting caught with ball in hand when he had plenty of time to dispose of it. Love his hate of losing and will be a future captain , I just don’t know what his best position will be.

Last edited:
I don't know what Mackenzie you've been watching, but Cam is pretty much the exact player you just said we need. Potentially his biggest knock is his lack of top-end, 30+disposal games, but his stride kicking, pace, stamina and game sense making him a perfect playmaker and impact midfielder. I'm not sure who you're watching if you don't rate his defensive workrate, he isn't a behemoth Jack Steele type grunt but he works both ways and has a solid, fundamental tackling technique. He spent a good chunk of his academy development as a back pocket, so he's not going to be inept at 1-on-1 defending.
Happy to disagree. We need a mid who has explosiveness and CMac ain't that from what I have seen live and firmed up by his highlights. Not sold on his speed for an early pick going to the top level.

If he posts another blinder in this weeks U18 GF final he won’t be available at pick 7. His recent form along with the upcoming draft combine results (he’s an elite endurance and sprint athlete) will cement him in the top 6 picks, so unfortunately I dont think he makes it to our pick.

I‘m leaning towards Humphries at pick 7 even though I think Hewett is the better talent and mid.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back