Player Watch 2022 AFL National Draft Discussion - read the pinned post

Who will you be happy with Hawthorn selecting with their first pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
National AFL draft Monday November 28(first round only).
All other selections to be held on Tuesday November 29.
The pre-season and rookie drafts will then take place at 3pm (AEST) on Wednesday November 30.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he posts another blinder in this weeks U18 GF final he won’t be available at pick 7. His recent form along with the upcoming draft combine results (he’s an elite endurance and sprint athlete) will cement him in the top 6 picks, so unfortunately I dont think he makes it to our pick.
Hope you are right 🤣

Given the opportunity if Brayden George slips to our second pick that would be special. Love his game.

A Humphries (at 7) and George (2nd pick) will have us entertained for a decade. Twin explosive goal kicking bulls.

He will need to work on his awareness in traffic. He was getting caught with ball in hand when he had plenty of time to dispose of it. Love his hate of losing and will be a future captain , I just don’t know what his best position will be.
Day had Pendlebury like space and awareness in his 1st year.

Not sure if he lost confidence or what but I couldn't believe how many times he was caught HTB this year.

Hopefully he gets his mojo back.

I want a run and carry centre square mid. McKenzie isn't that. He's an accumulator rather than a playmaker. We need a playmaker with our first pick. I worry about McKenzies running power at the top level. I feel he might be a risk defensively.

Ward is a run and carry midfielder.

Not sure if he lost confidence or what but I couldn't believe how many times he was caught HTB this year.

He isn't rushed, similarly to Pendles.

But Day was playing in the backline then, and hasn't shown that he has that same awareness (as Pendles) in heavy traffic. Granted he hasn't had much of a chance as yet, so that could change.

Ye
I wonder if we see Day as our run and carry midfielder given the amount of times Sam put faith into him and threw him in the guts.

I don't see it personally would prefer his skill on the outside but if he was to bulk up he might be an option as that first or second receiver.
Yet to see Day look comfortable anywhere in the midfield. Still think rebounding defender is where he plays best.

Ward is a run and carry midfielder.
Yes he is I want another but with a burst of speed. We need a band of mids that can run the lines. For mine CMac doesn't fit that bill. I know it is not a popular view.

I don't know what Mackenzie you've been watching, but Cam is pretty much the exact player you just said we need. Potentially his biggest knock is his lack of top-end, 30+disposal games, but his stride kicking, pace, stamina and game sense making him a perfect playmaker and impact midfielder. I'm not sure who you're watching if you don't rate his defensive workrate, he isn't a behemoth Jack Steele type grunt but he works both ways and has a solid, fundamental tackling technique. He spent a good chunk of his academy development as a back pocket, so he's not going to be inept at 1-on-1 defending.
Spot on

Mostly got pinged trying to take on the tackler with pace and run past them.
Pendles doesn’t do that, he knows his limitations and just finds and a make space as needed

Coby Burgiel is an interesting prospect, he was killing it in the midfield earlier in the year which is when i first started adding him to my lists, got asked about his parents, little did i know he was the son of an ex-hawk listed player, played well in midfield in the Vic Trials at Werribee, miserably cold windy day tbh, 1 aspect to his game i like is his endurance, in the 4th quarter when most players start to fall off, he seems to take off, so he must have a good endurance base from what you see on ground, i dont have combine numbers, but im guessing he will have good long distance combine numbers, he was a dangerous forward for Vic Country and in his interview where he seemed very level headed and a good bloke, he seemed to also enjoy half back, very versatile, can accumulate and win contested footy in the centre with a good burst of pace to find space, he can kick a goal from tight angles and he likes the freedom to run off of half back(he generally excels in all areas from what i have seen), i was hoping he would be a later option for us (as nobody but i had even mentioned him until the champs were near an end) some other bigfooty draft watchers started talking him up and Cal Twomey put him in his top 30 recently, meaning if we want him it will have to be pick 25 or thereabouts, but not sure he fits a need of pure midfielder/general forward?
Not coming to the Hawks. We're the only team not to speak with him as of yesterday.

I do like Coby Burgiel. However, if we were to select him, do we think he could develop sufficiently to play as a forward? I only have that query regarding him. In my opinion, we ought to use our second pick to select a more seasoned forward like Clarke, Jones, or Konstanty. Mids and forwards should be prioritised in this year's draft, especially with our top-end picks, because it's likely that a forward/mid/forward will be our top selection in 2023. Having said that, Burgiel's talent might be too obvious to ignore, and I'd be delighted if we chose to select him.
And so would he as he's a mad Hawks supporter. Problem is that we haven't spoken to him at all and he's shattered about it too!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He isn't rushed, similarly to Pendles.

But Day was playing in the backline then, and hasn't shown that he has that same awareness (as Pendles) in heavy traffic. Granted he hasn't had much of a chance as yet, so that could change.
I think Day was the unlucky victim of players putting in their single best defensive chase down effort of the season on a few occasions as well. I mean when have we ever seen Zac Merrett chase like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back