List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know what the deal is with this top up player scheme from the POV of the WAFL club? Do they get to replace those players, is there any compensation or is it another case of "thank you sir, may I have another"? Don't get me wrong, I'd love the players to get a chance at AFL level, but what's the cost?
I think that is why when Gil made the big announcement he said it's been worked out for 16 of the 18 clubs but the WA details are still being nutted out.

Anyone know what the deal is with this top up player scheme from the POV of the WAFL club? Do they get to replace those players, is there any compensation or is it another case of "thank you sir, may I have another"? Don't get me wrong, I'd love the players to get a chance at AFL level, but what's the cost?
Its for a week at random, so the club will miss out for that week

These players aren't likely to be needed for many weeks of the season, its more a break in case of emergency thing

Yep on Swan's list now.

Damn. A quick google search has failed me.

So our only ex-players we can list are players that realistically have zero chance of being so.

Those eligible would be Dillon O’Reilly, Harley Bennell, Cam McCarthy and Nick Suban. O’Reilly is maybe a tiny chance but I can’t see it given some of the other players likely to be available.

Reckon Schlensog would be a good list fit. I have outlined my intricately thought out position below;

• Better forward than Meek
  • Is not Rory Lobb

Thankyou.

I think that is why when Gil made the big announcement he said it's been worked out for 16 of the 18 clubs but the WA details are still being nutted out.

Probably just working out the split tbh.

Seems to be Peel, East Freo, South Freo, Claremont and West Perth for us.

Seems to be West Coast, Subiaco, East Perth, Perth and Swan Districts for the other mob.

The issue may be that the allocation of clubs may be a bit in our favour.

Probably just working out the split tbh.

Seems to be Peel, East Freo, South Freo, Claremont and West Perth for us.

Seems to be West Coast, Subiaco, East Perth, Perth and Swan Districts for the other mob.

The issue may be that the allocation of clubs may be a bit in our favour.
despite the name at this rate would kinda make sense for WCE to get EF seeing they’ve taken 3 of their players already

West Coast get the team that has competed in like 8 or 9 of the last 10 grand finals and won like 6 or 7 of em

Then they took East Freos best players

Evens out any slight advantage we may have had

Yeah we aren't, have missed the deadline now

I think it’s a good thing, as we have the mid season draft spot, and a lot of players to eyeball in the meantime.

The Weagles had no option to list NADs, Joyce etc as they wouldn’t have been available to them as Covid top ups! As they are in Freo’s zone.

What happens if a covid top up player has been needed and is playing and doing well?

My understanding is for the msd we have no hold on them or priority access, and they are available to any club.

They could be playing for us one week, and against us the next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Schloithe burnt bridges at Freo on the way out. Don’t think we’ll be putting his name up as a top up. The budgies up the road can nominate him.

I suspect the players we have had train with us (plus Zac Strom who hasn’t trained with us and Chad Pearson who we have previously been interested in) as well as ex-players like Giro, Watson, Matera, Pina, Scott Jones etc. plus a few others will be in our sights.
Some people don’t think.

Clubs change players, coaches, staff and to stay bitter isn’t very smart.

What happens if a covid top up player has been needed and is playing and doing well?

My understanding is for the msd we have no hold on them or priority access, and they are available to any club.

They could be playing for us one week, and against us the next.

That could happen. Most players will only miss a single game due to covid and we need to be down to desperately low levels of available players to activate a covid listed backup, which to me says that if we have covid pushing us over the line on availability we are already in really bad shape.

So I don't suspect we will have a late pick in the MSD if we are calling up back listed players, and I don't think those backup players will have more than a game or two in order to show their wares resulting in them being clamored over at the MSD ahead of the U19s or U20s players who would normally feature.

That could happen. Most players will only miss a single game due to covid and we need to be down to desperately low levels of available players to activate a covid listed backup, which to me says that if we have covid pushing us over the line on availability we are already in really bad shape.

So I don't suspect we will have a late pick in the MSD if we are calling up back listed players, and I don't think those backup players will have more than a game or two in order to show their wares resulting in them being clamored over at the MSD ahead of the U19s or U20s players who would normally feature.
It's not difficult to see a scenario where am individual top up players is required for multiple games.

It's not difficult to see a scenario where am individual top up players is required for multiple games.

I'm expecting to see the AFL listed players being required to be played ahead of mature bodied backups. So we will see Jye Amiss playing key back before we can bring on someone like Strom to fill that spot, and it gets even harder to use the smaller players when you have fit albeit immature bodied AFL listed players who would take that spot.

I'm expecting to see the AFL listed players being required to be played ahead of mature bodied backups. So we will see Jye Amiss playing key back before we can bring on someone like Strom to fill that spot, and it gets even harder to use the smaller players when you have fit albeit immature bodied AFL listed players who would take that spot.
Terrible idea. So a player who is not at the fitness level required for AFL may be required to play. No potential legal issues there.

Terrible idea. So a player who is not at the fitness level required for AFL may be required to play. No potential legal issues there.
Well you might think it is a terrible idea, but that's what Gil announced. You have to turn to your list first, can only access this provision of there are no listed players available. If Amiss is fit enough to play for Peel he plays ahead of any top up.
And rightly so IMO, it's why you have a list

Well you might think it is a terrible idea, but that's what Gil announced. You have to turn to your list first, can only access this provision of there are no listed players available. If Amiss is fit enough to play for Peel he plays ahead of any top up.
This will allow for some "creative" injury lists when listed players remaining aren't in the positional profile required by a team

Naive and irresponsible in my opinion. Players are routinely "available", not on an injury list, and also not considered ready to play. Fyfe last weekend as an example. Duty of care means they don't play. The legal ramifications of a recovering player re-injuring themselves would be interesting.

But if Gil announced it everything's fine eh.

Naive and irresponsible in my opinion. Players are routinely "available", not on an injury list, and also not considered ready to play. Fyfe last weekend as an example. Duty of care means they don't play. The legal ramifications of a recovering player re-injuring themselves would be interesting.

But if Gil announced it everything's fine eh.
This is wrong. Fyfe didn't play for Peel last week, so wasn't fit.
The rule is simple, if you have a fragile Benning type player on your list and he is fit but last man standing, he plays AFL this week not Peel. You only use your top ups if you literally have no one fit to play. Yes it will be exploited - you can fake a Benning injury in this circumstance and he plays for no one. But in no way should a player on a AFL list that is fit be usurped by someone not on a list.

Think they are looking at something like giving the WAFL club $1000 per game (per player) plus $10k if the player gets a season ending injury.

This will allow for some "creative" injury lists when listed players remaining aren't in the positional profile required by a team

That's exactly what I expect will happen. General soreness will mean players are on "restricted minutes" in the WAFL and can't be considered for AFL selection. Restricting them to just 95 minutes of game time that weekend.

The avenue I haven't seen people talking about yet is what happens if you field a player who is thirty from the WAFL and offer him a job under the table for after football if he takes out a key opposition player? His suspension doesn't impact your list, but it can really impact someone else's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back