Preview 2022 Rd 17 Carlton vs West Coast Sunday July 10 @ 4:40PM - Team Post #655

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I can't argue against that.....no doubt. I don't think dow will make it with us but if he played like cerra did tonight (and a few games this year) people would be demanding he gets delisted.

Pick 6 is looking a lot for what we've got so far.....early days, no doubt he can get the ball but his ball use by foot has been well below what id expect for a trade of that order.

I hope I'm wrong and probably will be but he has been underwhelming so far, Martin-esque

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
Agree re Cerra's ball use. Whilst he looks like a good kick often his decision making is wanting. He is still only 22 however so has scope for improvement.

Agree re Cerra's ball use. Whilst he looks like a good kick often his decision making is wanting. He is still only 22 however so has scope for improvement.
Not an excuse, but think opposition player obscured by umpire for that horrendous inboard pass in the last line.
Multiple player interviews through the year rated him as our best kick, particularly entering forward 50. His role change to accommodate Newnes going back and keeping Fisher in the midfield was poorly thought out. I don’t mind tactical errors, as long as we learn from them.

Square peg, round hole ....worked well for teague

I’m going.

Out Plowman Honey Newnes

IN Weiters Stocker Owies

B: Kemp Young Saad
HB: Doc Weits Newy
C: LOB. Crippa Cerra
HF: Jack Harry Mots
F: Durdin Charles Owies

Foll: TDK Kennedy Walsh

IC: Hewitt Stocker Cotts Fish

Emg: Plow Setters Dow Honey

Yes, he will.
Us punters have the luxury of backing the $5 horse.
Coaches usually stick with the $2 horse.
Sometimes … luck favours the brave 😉
I want to see Jack Carroll back in the side soon. He’s a lovely player. Speed / endurance combo, bit of height, great hands, tries very hard not to waste the ball. Super awareness.

I want to see Jack Carroll back in the side soon. He’s a lovely player. Speed / endurance combo, bit of height, great hands, tries very hard not to waste the ball. Super awareness.

There’s nothing quite like being a player outside the starting 22 following a bad loss…for a moment I thought you were talking about Robbie Flower (RIP).

I’m not sure many thought much of Carroll” super awareness” when he got caught holding the ball like a “deer in the headlights” late in the last quarter of the Pies game.

Let’s just all relax - yes we lost and it’s disappointing - but it’s hardly the end of our season, and I’m confident with key players set to return soon we’ll bounce back.

There’s nothing quite like being a player outside the starting 22 following a bad loss…for a moment I thought you were talking about Robbie Flower (RIP).

I’m not sure many thought much of Carroll” super awareness” when he got caught holding the ball like a “deer in the headlights” late in the last quarter of the Pies game.

Let’s just all relax - yes we lost and it’s disappointing - but it’s hardly the end of our season, and I’m confident with key players set to return soon we’ll bounce back.
Carroll had a shocker against the Pies, shouldn't have been playing.
That doesn't mean that he's not going to be a very good player, nor that he won't help the team in the near future.

Certainly not this week, but it's not unreasonable for windows to want to see him in 'soon'.

It's a long season, a lot of teams are evenly matched. We've gotten away with several wins when we've played poorly but the Saints were more switched on mentally and duly got the job done.

This will refocus us well for the West Coast game, which would actually have been a serious danger game had we not lost last night.

With Weitering back a lot will change, too. I can almost guarantee that we will win one of the Geelong, Brisbane or Melbourne games. It will mean more to us than them, we will lift. That's so much a part of what footy is about. Yes it's an intangible and it's easy to say but it's true.

Carroll had a shocker against the Pies, shouldn't have been playing.
That doesn't mean that he's not going to be a very good player, nor that he won't help the team in the near future.

Certainly not this week, but it's not unreasonable for windows to want to see him in 'soon'.

Fair enough and in future year he could be a fine player for us but from what I’ve seen of him and at the stage of his career he is at I doubt Carroll is going to be able to have a tangible impact for us in the big games we have in the run home this season.

Wtf? I’m not talking about last night. And ok let’s be super precise if you’re gonna be a smart arse about my posts.

I’m projecting what I think Jack will be and I’m not meaning he will be AA level. He will be a very good player.

In time I think Jack will be a super player and I like getting games into them. I don’t mind him getting caught holding the ball from time to time because he’s really valuing finding a target. As he adjusts to the pace of the game his decision making speed will match the level and he will be a terrific contributor to the team.

He would already be a good contributor in my view. A terrific two way runner who is cleaner than a few of the others.

I’m keen to have him in the side for his development. Young and TDK are good examples of guys getting a good run at it and benefitting from it.

I by no means am saying “bring Carroll in because he is the panacea to our problems”.

It's a long season, a lot of teams are evenly matched. We've gotten away with several wins when we've played poorly but the Saints were more switched on mentally and duly got the job done.

This will refocus us well for the West Coast game, which would actually have been a serious danger game had we not lost last night.

With Weitering back a lot will change, too. I can almost guarantee that we will win one of the Geelong, Brisbane or Melbourne games. It will mean more to us than them, we will lift. That's so much a part of what footy is about. Yes it's an intangible and it's easy to say but it's true.
100% agree.

As much as I hate losing I’d rather we lose to the Saints who are in the mix this season (they’ve beaten Richmond, Geelong and Fremantle in Perth) than drop a game to the second bottom team.

All the teams we have lost to are all in the finals mix whereas some of the teams around us have dropped losses to lowly sides (Saints vs Dons, Dogs v Crows, Tigers v Crows, Lions v Hawks, Cats v Hawks, Pies v Eagles) and it’s those games that prove costly in the final wash up.

For all our problems last year if we’d just beaten 3 of the bottom 4 sides (Pies, North and Suns) we probably would have made the top 8.

We simply cannot afford to lose a game like that this season and I have confidence in the group they will respond with a win.

Wtf? I’m not talking about last night. And ok let’s be super precise if you’re gonna be a smart arse about my posts.

I’m projecting what I think Jack will be and I’m not meaning he will be AA level. He will be a very good player.

In time I think Jack will be a super player and I like getting games into them. I don’t mind him getting caught holding the ball from time to time because he’s really valuing finding a target. As he adjusts to the pace of the game his decision making speed will match the level and he will be a terrific contributor to the team.

He would already be a good contributor in my view. A terrific two way runner who is cleaner than a few of the others.

I’m keen to have him in the side for his development. Young and TDK are good examples of guys getting a good run at it and benefitting from it.

I by no means am saying “bring Carroll in because he is the panacea to our problems”.

See my response to Stamos earlier…

Fair enough and in future year he could be a fine player for us but from what I’ve seen of him and at the stage of his career he is at I doubt Carroll is going to be able to have a tangible impact for us in the big games we have in the run home this season.

Also I don’t think the comparison you make to Young and TDK is valid or fair as they are at very different stages of their career where they need to take the step up as opposed to Carroll whose career is still very much in his infancy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cerra can't play wing, look like a lost puppy out there. If anything I took out of that game.

Cerra looked underdone but THEY( our coaches)know more than we do
Kemp will be a gun and shouldn’t play 2s again
Newnes will not make the cut when we have everyone available
Motlop also a gun in the making- keep him in
Plowman is everyone’s whipping boy but wasn’t the reason we lost

We lost because of poor kicking and composure up front, considering who our defence had out our back 7 were pretty good

It’s not the time to rest players
Christ we just had a bye a few weeks ago

Probably a good wake up call to knuckle down and get back to manic pressure and improve our efficiency and kicking

Was a bit fumbly also last nite

Just my humble opinions….
Cerra definately didnt look great. Hopefully he'll be better for the run though.

The way we've got our forward half unit trying to pressure right now is not sustainable, and worse, was downright manipulated by the Saints. Throw in Motlop's lack of speed/endurance base and attacking instincts in the mix, and you get the cluster-**** from last night that destroyed our ability to do anything other than sit behind the ball.

I am not going to hold Motlop solely responsible, but we need to address it. Durdin and Honey both managed 20+ pressure acts but didn't really force a whole lot of mistakes or turnovers from St Kilda. It also burnt them out, putting them at 64% & 68% game time respectively compared to Motlop's 62%. Basically we had three small forwards, but at any given minute, you could only expect two of them on the field.

If they're not applying enough genuine pressure or link work to tilt the midfield battle, that's not acceptable.

EDIT: some typos

Last edited:
Yeah I can't argue against that.....no doubt. I don't think dow will make it with us but if he played like cerra did tonight (and a few games this year) people would be demanding he gets delisted.

Pick 6 is looking a lot for what we've got so far.....early days, no doubt he can get the ball but his ball use by foot has been well below what id expect for a trade of that order.

I hope I'm wrong and probably will be but he has been underwhelming so far, Martin-esque

Cerra has runs on the board, both with us and Freo that Dow doesn't have. Thats the difference.

Story of us always having to play teams when they get certain players back (saints tonight) or have their backs against the wall (saints again tonight)

Can we just for once play a side that is missing half their team?
It isn't always woe is us.

R1 - Prestia going off in the 3rd was a game changer
R2 - Dogs inaccurate (like us last night)
R5 - Got Port at the worst in the first half, before getting them back into form after half time
R13 - Got Essendon still playing crappy before their mini revival beginning a week later
R15 - Freo after bye, maybe a bit rusty

Swings and roundabouts. We were a bit fortunate to hang on v Dogs, Hawks and Port as well.

R5 - Got Port at the worst in the first half, before getting them back into form after half time
R13 - Got Essendon still playing crappy before their mini revival beginning a week later

Swings and roundabouts. We were a bit fortunate to hang on v Dogs, Hawks and Port as well.

Saints had their best 22 but copped a few in game injuries too.

GWS might take a few scalps, playing better under mcveigh.

Cerra for mine is still building,he has provided similar contributions in several of his games
he is well back from the main group contribution wise ....if he gets tired or injured ,then they rest him....he looks in place at games so far

They need to nail this game and take 4 points.....i dont care if its a close game.....just need the access to finals

Cerra was our best mid vs Collingwood and one of our best players. That was the game before he got injured.

Was rusty but he'll be right.

This is revisionist history in terms of the Dogs game.
They kicked 13.5 (13.5!!!) before their 'inaccuracy', when after the last goal of the game and 18 points down, they kicked 5 points, and had 2 rushed. They got those shots from repeat entries, if any had have been a goal, the ball goes back to the centre. The closest they got at any time was 12 points, the final margin.

If Cerra is dropped to the VFL I’ll eat a hay bale.

Voss mentioned that Martin, Owies, Weitering and Durdin S. will all be available next week. He also said Mc Lovin will play Round 18.

In: Weitering, Owies

Out: Kemp, Honey

I don’t like Newnes playing half back so he may be dropped for Stocker.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Huge ins. Just need Pitto back as well

This is revisionist history in terms of the Dogs game.
They kicked 13.5 (13.5!!!) before their 'inaccuracy', when after the last goal of the game and 18 points down, they kicked 5 points, and had 2 rushed. They got those shots from repeat entries, if any had have been a goal, the ball goes back to the centre. The closest they got at any time was 12 points, the final margin.
This exactly. I had a Dogs friend say the same thing. "They would have won" if they kicked straight but wouldn't have any of me telling him they kept missing of repeat entries and had they kicked one, the ball would go back into the middle.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back