Preview 2022 Rd 19 Carlton vs GWS Sunday July 24 1:10PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #838

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weiters may be lacking a bit of match fitness which has impacted his recent performances but I doubt it’s due to him still carrying a shoulder injury.

Last night it seemed Geelong used Hawkins as a decoy to get Weiters out of the play so Cameron and Rohan could be left isolated with their direct opponents.

I’m more worried about Harry’s performances which have been inconsistent and even lacking intent this season when it gets a bit hard.
Voss restrained himself from saying exactly that in the press conference last night … but he’s all over it.
Expect better from Harry in the coming weeks.

This week I’d be bringing Pitto and Gov to come in for Plowman and Hayes and I’d also consider Martin and Owies for Durds and Motts (unlucky) if they are fit but I doubt they will be available.

Pitto is so important as last night showed Sos in the ruck should be a “break glass” option and we need Sos in the forward line where he is a critical cog. Gov just offers more than Plow with his intercepting and kicking, albeit I’d be fine with Plow playing if Gov were unavailable.

If Martin and/or Owies are available then Durds may pay a price for his recent inconsistency but I certainly have liked what I’ve seen from him this year and I’m confident he will be a player in the years to come. Ditto for Motts who looks to have the highest ceiling of all our small forwards. Honey however IMO is not an option for the rest of this season as I’m still not sure if he can deliver at AFL level this season (maybe next year). If Owies and Martin are fit and available they both offer more at this point in time.

Similarly IMO there is no point bringing in LOB for Hayes as both have shown they are not going to be AFL level wingmen (IMO both could be delisted at the end of the season especially if we can get Sholl) and for the remainder of the season I’d prefer us pushing Cerra or Walsh to the wings rotations with Cotts and Newnes so we have some quality there.

Along the same lines as the above unless necessitated by injury I’d almost be ruling a line through the likes of Lob, Honey, Hayes, Carroll, Dow, Setts and Kemp in favour of more “known” quantities like Gov, Plow, Newnes, Motts, Durds, Cotts and Stock for the remainder of the season.

This might be a harsh view but IMO making the finals this year is so critical for our journey to eventually becoming a flag contender in the coming years, so from here on in with the season on the line there is no point bringing in players who we aren’t yet sure can contribute.

Last edited:
Pittonet is a definite in, will be an enormous addition.

Think Dow can give us a different look and burst from stoppage, shift Cerra to a wing if necessary.

Who comes out and how we set up our talls around the ground... not sure.
In Pitto, Gov, Owies if fit
Out Hayes, Durdin, Jsos rest
Jsos does NOT need a rest. He just had one a month ago. At the rate we are playing he'll have one soon enough. He is moving well, competing and shows no signs of tapering off...have I missed something?

This week I’d be bringing Pitto and Gov to come in for Plowman and Hayes and I’d also consider Martin and Owies for Durds and Motts (unlucky) if they are fit but I doubt they will be available.

Pitto is so important as last night showed Sos in the ruck should be a “break glass” option and we need Sos in the forward line where he is a critical cog. Gov just offers more than Plow with his intercepting and kicking, albeit I’d be fine with Plow playing if Gov were unavailable.

If Martin and/or Owies are available then Durds may pay a price for his recent inconsistency but I certainly have liked what I’ve seen from him this year and I’m confident he will be a player in the years to come. Ditto for Motts who looks to have the highest ceiling of all our small forwards. Honey however IMO is not an option for the rest of this season as I’m still not sure if he can deliver at AFL level this season (maybe next year). If Owies and Martin are fit and available they both offer more at this point in time.

Similarly IMO there is no point bringing in LOB for Hayes as both have shown they are not going to be AFL level wingmen (IMO both should probably be delisted at the end of the season especially if we can get Sholl) and for the remainder of the season I’d prefer us pushing Cerra or Walsh to the wings rotations with Cotts and Newnes so we have some quality there.

Along the same lines as the above unless necessitated by injury I’d almost be ruling a line through the likes of Lob, Honey, Hayes, Carroll, Dow, Setts and Kemp in favour of more “known” quantities like Gov, Plow, Newnes, Motts, Durds, Cotts and Stock for the remainder of the season.

This might be a harsh view but IMO making the finals this year is so critical for our journey to eventually becoming a flag contender in the coming years, so from here on in with the season on the line there is no point bringing in players who we aren’t yet sure can contribute.
Gov and Pitto should have played last night!

Setterfield looks like he could deserve a game after his VFL performance. McGovern will get called up too you’d think. Did Pittonet play VFL I didn’t see him in the summary I read.

I a few guesses as to who will make way but Newnes has dropped off and I could see him making way for Setterfield or maybe Cottrell who also has dropped off.

McGov… hard to know who but he comes in. He’s not a Stocker replacement (who did ok). He is probably a Plowman replacement who didn’t really do anything wrong against Geelong (but also didn’t have any impact out of defence).

I expect Durdin to be given another go.

In: Gov, Setterfield
Out: Newnes, Cottrell

If Silvagni gets rested then that’ll answer one of the outs.

I assume Pittonet isn’t ready.
Pitt is cherry ripe, played very well. He will come in this week.

Don’t think we can play 3 wingmen, that is a luxury. 7 defender/ 5 mid to cover the 20% game time. Cotts and Lob can play 90% ( Langdon doesn’t come off at all just stays on the far wing).

MCG is not going to gain touch try to mark the incoming bricks on suburban ground. Bring him back in. Probably for Stock this week to keep Plow for TG.

Upset Honey didn’t get a run to work on his game. Waste of a week for a guy who has played so little this year.

Sadly Dow will miss again . Our midfield has been worked out and only won one of the last 6 games. Really need his Point of difference. Have to hope Pitt can make a difference.

Five weeks ago there were a few people here (not me) who looked at the coming games & our injury list and predicted 2 wins out of 5. And that's how it's turned out, although the Freo and Saints results were switched compared to most predictions.

Looking at the next five weeks now, I'd say 3 wins out of 5 is most likely. And I wouldn't be surprised to see us beat one of Melbourne or Brisbane and drop one of the others. If we can manage 4 wins then that would be an excellent outcome.

GWS looks like the most likely win of the 5, so will be hoping for a strong performance to set up the rest of the season.
We will annihilate Collingwood round 23. Pencil that one in too

Don’t think we can play 3 wingmen, that is a luxury. 7 defender/ 5 mid to cover the 20% game time. Cotts and Lob can play 90% ( Langdon doesn’t come off at all just stays on the far wing).

MCG is not going to gain touch try to mark the incoming bricks on suburban ground. Bring him back in. Probably for Stock this week to keep Plow for TG.

Upset Honey didn’t get a run to work on his game. Waste of a week for a guy who has played so little this year.

Sadly Dow will miss again . Our midfield has been worked out and only won one of the last 6 games. Really need his Point of difference. Have to hope Pitt can make a difference.
Stocker will not be dropped, he was one of our better performers on the night.

We simply have to re jig things so Dow can play..... He is a cut above VFL and a SHI-T LOAD better than Hayes or Newnes.

Watched VFL yesterday and he was exceptional again, has the ball on a string and his ability to get it off by hand in heavy traffic is just SO GOOD!

And I know Hayes numbers good but..... execution overall woeful. Back to the VFL.

Cotterell and Durdin also have been poor for a few weeks now.

Lob back, Martin and Mc Gov for Newnes , Hayes, Cotterell . Durdin one more week to impress?

Pitto one more in the VFL probably .

Martin to the wing, McGov to half back and Dow in the guts with Cerra to other wing rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss restrained himself from saying exactly that in the press conference last night … but he’s all over it.
Expect better from Harry in the coming weeks.

Good. He was so unimposing last night that I assumed he was playing either injured or with a flu bug. If he is healthy then a rocket would be timely.

Just can’t see that one happening
Shame you don't! Collingwood aren't that good champ! Credit to them that they're finding ways to win and scraping through against bottom 6 teams. They got Melbourne at the right time with their bad patch and injuries. People are carrying on like they're premiership contenders. Just like people laughed at me when I predicted us to smash Freo by 40 points recently. Just think of me when we destroy the pies. We had a VFL team against them the last time we played, that's how depleted we were and lets not forget losing JW in the first 5 minutes of that game too. We played 10 minutes of good footy that whole duration and still nearly won it.

Shame you don't! Collingwood aren't that good champ! Credit to them that they're finding ways to win and scraping through against bottom 6 teams. They got Melbourne at the right time with their bad patch and injuries. People are carrying on like they're premiership contenders. Just like people laughed at me when I predicted us to smash Freo by 40 points recently. Just think of me when we destroy the pies. We had a VFL team against them the last time we played, that's how depleted we were and lets not forget losing JW in the first 5 minutes of that game too. We played 10 minutes of good footy that whole duration and still nearly won it.
I cannot believe the pies have won 8 in row, yes some lucky wins but they keep playing well every week,
blues must beat them last game otherwise we don't deserve to make the8.

I cannot believe the pies have won 8 in row, yes some lucky wins but they keep playing well every week,
blues must beat them last game otherwise we don't deserve to make the8.
Credit to them. Like I said, they have found ways to get over the line and you hit the nail on the head with their luckiness. Pretty easy draw they've had. I tipped Adelaide yesterday, I thought they were deserving to get that win. Should've beaten them. Don't be surprised if Collingwood drop the next 5 games

Credit to them. Like I said, they have found ways to get over the line and you hit the nail on the head with their luckiness. Pretty easy draw they've had. I tipped Adelaide yesterday, I thought they were deserving to get that win. Should've beaten them. Don't be surprised if Collingwood drop the next 5 games
Based on form think * are a big chance against them next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back