Preview 2022 Rd 19 Carlton vs GWS Sunday July 24 1:10PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #838

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wats surprising me, is the pies are meant to be rebuilding, how they are able to maintain high level of footy winning so many games in a row!
they have been winning close games.....they got some good forwards,and a lot of luck at the moment
the 2 Daicos's are running the show no.35 unbelievable

was at Suns game on Gold Coast and he was everywhere.....Sam Walsh plus

We barely had a standout player across the park. Bottom 6 are going to be exposed if the top end of the 22 is soundly beaten.

These players can pick up the slack if a few of the better players are struggling provided there's a foundation to build off, but there were no safe harbours tonight. Geelong's pressure around the ball was relentless and made our best look decidedly average.

See this is were I disagree. You cannot and must not always depend on your top 6 or so to dig you out of trouble every week. It’s the bottom tier that need to assists and support. I felt our midfield struggled but didn’t get beaten last night. The others however......well they sh1t the bed.

Geelong had winners everywhere and supported Selwood, Duncan and comp. Until we move on from the strugglers, when push comes to shove, we won’t be able to match the top sides.

I haven't been watching any VFL but saw some of Setter's stats and it looks like he's dominating the last few weeks. Does he get a call up?
it's like you've just come back from a 40 stop tour of victorian tourist spots and they were all rosebud beach...............

See this is were I disagree. You cannot and must not always depend on your top 6 or so to dig you out of trouble every week. It’s the bottom tier that need to assists and support. I felt our midfield struggled but didn’t get beaten last night. The others however......well they sh1t the bed.

Geelong had winners everywhere and supported Selwood, Duncan and comp. Until we move on from the strugglers, when push comes to shove, we won’t be able to match the top sides.
we will, when we can........

Surprisingly he does have a decent tank. Has built a good base now over the past few seasons. But he’d be a horrendous wingman because he has no idea where the ball is going. Which I suspect is why you think he doesn’t have a tank- because he’s often nowhere near it.

Don't disagree, he struggles to read the next phase of play.

Best bet is to use him as a HF that drifts into the middle to play off an opponent that leads him to the pill

Harry was down no doubt
But man he got burnt a few times with delivery
The intent was still there
Harry’s first choice when having lost a contest is to either fall to the ground or accentuate any form of contact received. He’s at the point where it’ll serve him and the team better that he focuses on being in the contest at hand or playing his part in the next play at hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cuningham under Voss will be a match winner - if Fisher/Owies/Durdin etc can lift to be good AFL players- Cuningham will absolutely kill it.
Cuningham will be lucky to be on our list next year, same with Marchbank.

Cunners - 41 games in 7 years (4 games in the last 2 years) and never played more than 12 games in a season.

Marchy - 49 games in 8 years (1 game in the last 3 years) and never played more than 16 games in a season (2016).

Feels like everything now hinges on GWS and Adelaide games. Win them both, as we should, and then reassess. This is where ALL focus needs to be. No doubt both those games will be hard fought, can't think of an exception all year. This is CFC, 2022 style. Exciting to watch, yet still make you nervous every week.

Having watched the reserves and seniors, IMO Pittonet a clear inclusion this week. Obviously Hayes out, and expect only 1-2 more changes for team balance or tactical reasons. Now is not the time for massive overhaul, instead rely on all team members to lift, individually and collectively. They have generally done so where necessary this year.

GO BLUES, hopefully a resounding victory this week, but at the end of the day, any sort of victory will be good for me against this troublesome mob, can keep building onwards and upwards thereafter.

Cunners - 41 games in 7 years (4 games in the last 2 years) and never played more than 12 games in a season.

Marchy - 49 games in 8 years (1 game in the last 3 years) and never played more than 16 games in a season (2016).
Club would be wise to stick with both of them imo. Its not as if both players are limited footballers either. Cunners is a beautiful athlete with power and speed. He breaks lines and kicks long goals on the run, he is exactly the kind of midfielder that we are currently bereft of.
Marchy is also a huge talent, great at intercept marking and he has a big tank when he is fit. Felt really bad for him when he did his last injury. Both of these players have had a wretched run, just maybe things can turn around for both of them. I bloody hope so.

Club has stuck by them all that time. They’ve done all they can. As good a talent as they are I’d have no problems if club did not offer next contract.

Our flag window is opening up we need to get things right moving forward from here.

Tend to agree tho would not surprise me if one or both get a 1 year deal. If given the option I'd choose Marchbank over Cunners - Marchy has shown more over the limited body of work and looked quite settled in his return game against Essendon despite such a long layoff.

Credit to them. Like I said, they have found ways to get over the line and you hit the nail on the head with their luckiness. Pretty easy draw they've had. I tipped Adelaide yesterday, I thought they were deserving to get that win. Should've beaten them. Don't be surprised if Collingwood drop the next 5 games

How have the Pies had a weak draw?

I’ve always though pushing Saad on to the wing would be a great move for us, I’m surprised with our wing issues it hasn’t at least been tried.

Whats the biggest barrier toSaad playing wing?

I think we have better options to fill Saads absence in defence, than persisting with the current wing set up, a centre line of Walsh-Cripps-Saad is a premiership winning centre line.

Big eye opener against a good side, saw where our weaknesses are and where we need to improve. We need to roll the dice because without at least one third tall defender and weak wingmen we will stand no chance against the better sides. This means McGovern, Marchbank, Pittonet and Williams have to without a doubt return early.

B: McGovern Weitering Plowman
HB: Saad Young Docherty
C: Setterfield Cripps Cottrell
HF: Fisher DeKoning Walsh
F: Durdin McKay Curnow
OB: Pittonet Cerra Hewett
IC: Newman Kennedy Motlop Silvagni
SUB: Kemp

OUT: Newnes Stocker Hayes
IN: Setterfield McGovern Pittonet

Next few weeks you bring in Marchbank for Plowman and Williams for Newman. If Owies or Martin get up, probably need to find a spot for either of them too.

How have the Pies had a weak draw?
GWS, Gold Coast, North and Adelaide the past month. All bottom 6 teams when they played them respectively and all pretty much still are, Hawthorn before that and a VFL sided Carlton. I mentioned earlier they got Melbourne at the right time with their injuries and bad patch with form. Solid draw? 4 of those game were decided by less than a kick. Credit it to them they are finding ways but don't believe the hype champ

Club has stuck by them all that time. They’ve done all they can. As good a talent as they are I’d have no problems if club did not offer next contract.

Our flag window is opening up we need to get things right moving forward from here.
Agree with this. There's a point where you need to cut bait, as hard as it may be given the investment made.

I feel like Marchy is more likely to be given 1 more shot, especially if he can get on the park again in the last game or 2 and not be injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back