Preview 2022 Rd 19 Carlton vs GWS Sunday July 24 1:10PM @ Marvel Stadium - Team - Post #838

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS, Gold Coast, North and Adelaide the past month. All bottom 6 teams when they played them respectively and all pretty much still are, Hawthorn before that and a VFL sided Carlton. I mentioned earlier they got Melbourne at the right time with their injuries and bad patch with form. Solid draw? 4 of those game were decided by less than a kick. Credit it to them they are finding ways but don't believe the hype champ

GWS, GC, North and Adelaide the past month, so what? We have played the same teams. The only thing that separates the draw is who you play twice and they haven’t got any easier run than us, if our run home was tough, it’s because our earlier season was easy.

We play two of those teams the next two weeks, but they have had an easy draw?

Every team we play twice missed the finals last year.

GWS, GC, North and Adelaide the past month, so what? We have played the same teams. The only thing that separates the draw is who you play twice and they haven’t got any easier run than us, if our run home was tough, it’s because our earlier season was easy.

Play or player ? Because that’s just not true.

Why you getting defensive for? Did you have a bad dream last night brother? The other chap and I brought up how they've won the past 8 games, we applauded their efforts and also agreed they've had an easy run the past 6 weeks, you've asked how and I gave you the facts and now you are getting offended! You secretly a Collingwood supporter bud? Go back to sleep champ

Club has stuck by them all that time. They’ve done all they can. As good a talent as they are I’d have no problems if club did not offer next contract.

Our flag window is opening up we need to get things right moving forward from here.
You must have a crystal ball on player fitness going forward - big call.
The thing to maybe consider is that genuine class and both of these blokes have it - is exactly what is required to win a flag.
We have found out this year ( and just in this last week) that in big games- a team can only afford so many 'battlers' before any system breaks down under finals type pressure from the opposiiton.

I'll back the Club to make the right calls and a fair bit of that will be who they think they could get in to replace two such players. Good luck with that.

the myth of cuners grows by the week. he showed decent signs and had nice attributes. he wasn't bona-fide best 22 in 2020/2021 when we were a weaker side than we are now though.
the short term memory of posters on here is a constant though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always though pushing Saad on to the wing would be a great move for us, I’m surprised with our wing issues it hasn’t at least been tried.

Whats the biggest barrier toSaad playing wing?

I think we have better options to fill Saads absence in defence, than persisting with the current wing set up, a centre line of Walsh-Cripps-Saad is a premiership winning centre line.
Saad on a wing would work for sure- but Saad running lines off HBF along with Docherty has always been the plan and works a treat when we have Pittonet tapping to advantage.

With Boyd in an argument can be made that Williams could play wing HFF - but Williams repeat lower leg injuries might see an end to such possibility on a consistent basis.

I also disagree with Walsh on a wing because Walsh has teh running power and emerging repeat leg speed that compliments his roving mission around contests - guarding a wing FT deprives the midfield balance as far as that goes.

Wings were always going to be the weak spot for the team and I made the point over and over again in pre-season - Voss has given a lot of blokes have 'go' at this role and he started with Setterfield and LoB and is still trying to solve for this weakness - most recently by elevating Hayes.

Peopel calling for Dow and Settefield to play are barking uop the wrong tree unfortunately - Dow doesn't have the mythical leg speed that everyone crows on about - he has good acceleration for 3-5 meters which is great and then is clueless about what to do with the ball after finding some space. As far as defensive endeavour goes- which is 90% of what players have to do in game he is VFL. Setterfield? watch his disposal in low pressure VFL - ordinary on a good day, hesitant and always takes an easy option because he isn't a very good kick - just a fact on display every week. LoB is the pick of the bunch - but he has serious performance anxiety issues to get over.

This is why Voss has made wing a defensive position in the current game plan.

Big eye opener against a good side, saw where our weaknesses are and where we need to improve. We need to roll the dice because without at least one third tall defender and weak wingmen we will stand no chance against the better sides. This means McGovern, Marchbank, Pittonet and Williams have to without a doubt return early.

B: McGovern Weitering Plowman
HB: Saad Young Docherty
C: Setterfield Cripps Cottrell
HF: Fisher DeKoning Walsh
F: Durdin McKay Curnow
OB: Pittonet Cerra Hewett
IC: Newman Kennedy Motlop Silvagni
SUB: Kemp

OUT: Newnes Stocker Hayes
IN: Setterfield McGovern Pittonet

Next few weeks you bring in Marchbank for Plowman and Williams for Newman. If Owies or Martin get up, probably need to find a spot for either of them too.

Please NO on Setterfield.

if fit, he might be a plausible option on a wing. but he doesn't 'walk in' to our 22 based on his form at AFL level. he has had decent games, one outstanding one v Essendon. that's it really.
Cuningham was a clean bright ray of sunshine in a team that was rudderless and coach-less in his developmental years. HFF or Forward pocket are places that players went to suffer when our midfield was getting smashed week in week out - it is a hard enough role to play in a good team let a alone the joke that was Teague.

Sure he has had more than his fair share of injury over the course- that is the only thing that makes me pause- but as far as his playing ability goes- he walks into this side when fit. I don't see him as a wingman I see him as a genuine HFF/Mid rotation.

GWS, Gold Coast, North and Adelaide the past month. All bottom 6 teams when they played them respectively and all pretty much still are, Hawthorn before that and a VFL sided Carlton. I mentioned earlier they got Melbourne at the right time with their injuries and bad patch with form. Solid draw? 4 of those game were decided by less than a kick. Credit it to them they are finding ways but don't believe the hype champ

i agree - they would have lost to better teams if they weren't playing the like of North and Crows the last 2 weeks

Id be happy to play them come finals time - better than Freo or Syd interstate

the myth of cuners grows by the week. he showed decent signs and had nice attributes. he wasn't bona-fide best 22 in 2020/2021 when we were a weaker side than we are now though.

He was starting to play better footy and imagine being used properly by a good coach and not teague......would be a handy player to be able to name in the 22 if form was good. has attirbute we would love to be able to have on the park, burst and speed.

Big eye opener against a good side, saw where our weaknesses are and where we need to improve. We need to roll the dice because without at least one third tall defender and weak wingmen we will stand no chance against the better sides. This means McGovern, Marchbank, Pittonet and Williams have to without a doubt return early.

B: McGovern Weitering Plowman
HB: Saad Young Docherty
C: Setterfield Cripps Cottrell
HF: Fisher DeKoning Walsh
F: Durdin McKay Curnow
OB: Pittonet Cerra Hewett
IC: Newman Kennedy Motlop Silvagni
SUB: Kemp

OUT: Newnes Stocker Hayes
IN: Setterfield McGovern Pittonet

Next few weeks you bring in Marchbank for Plowman and Williams for Newman. If Owies or Martin get up, probably need to find a spot for either of them too.

I would play only one of Gov, Plow and Marchbank in the same side.

Two of Stocker, Newman and Williams.

Weitering, Young, Doc, Saad locked in.

Pretty simple, just win this week.

As a side note, I was really disappointed with Newman's game on the weekend. Not sure if I'm being harsh but some costly turnovers in the wrong part of the ground, some fairly average defending etc.

Hopefully a much improved game coming up (from everyone, not just Nic).

i agree - they would have lost to better teams if they weren't playing the like of North and Crows the last 2 weeks

Id be happy to play them come finals time - better than Freo or Syd interstate

Good chance the bombers will beat them this week.

LOB was sent back to the 2s to work on something. He seemed to have a good half. If he ticked the things off, he comes back in.
If Pitto did enough, then he's in too. Hayes (suspended) and Newnes (omitted) out.

Gov looked too rusty, give him another week in the 2s.
Fair enough, Plow stays then. Do we know if Owies will get up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back