Preview 2022 Rd 5 Carlton vs Port Adelaide Sunday 17th 1.40PM @ MCG - Team changes post #803

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you (and many others) so quick to jump on Young? He isn't Weitering or Jones, but he provides just as much as OMac does and has youth and a non-broken body on his side.

I would be persisting with him.
Young lacked intent and physicality against the Suns. That is a non-negotiable when playing "the guerilla" position.

Why are you (and many others) so quick to jump on Young? He isn't Weitering or Jones, but he provides just as much as OMac does and has youth and a non-broken body on his side.

I would be persisting with him.
He got brushed aside so easily by Chol at times despite being taller and heavier than him. That’s not a good sign.
At best he doesn’t know how to use his body at worst he doesn’t want to use it.
I shudder to think what happens if he has to match up on the likes of Tex Walker, Peter Wright or Tom Hawkins.
I think McDonald is a safer bet this year at least.

Yeah he hasn't got me too excited, just seems too defensive and plays like a bloke who believes he can't play. He's a good VFL player and he's had his good games but he hasn't come on. Surprised by a lack of marks and strength. McDonald definitely the better player but he also has 3 years on him as well which is a bit at their age.

Unfortunately the ideal player to fit into that team is Liam Jones but he has let everyone down.
I wonder if we could try TDK down back. He's not ready to full time ruck and his forward craft is woeful. Being at the game on Sunday he really has no clue inside 50 aside from his athleticism.
We're missing an athletic tall defender without Jones and maybe playing with the ball in front of him would help.

Perhaps would need a few games in the 2s in the role though

Problem is we have 25 half backs and all who will play it better than him.

Maybe try him on Setterfields wing?
Are you sure they'd be better than him? I watched plenty of him at HB at the Suns and he was a better intercept marker than Plowman, Doc, Williams and Saad. The others sans Plow would be better on the rebound but Jack would be better in the air and at least as good kick as all of them, possibly the best of them.

Last edited:
“Don’t want to knee jerk after one loss, but some of our vulnerabilities were “spectacularly” put on show on Sunday. I had a first hand viewing of the debacle as well as the reserves game.

There were some sub standard efforts from a range of players. We did not have the mindset to take on a side bringing maximum intensity while we has a couple of key absentees.

Durdin’s pressure is a fire starter, his energy is infectious. Do not also underestimate his game awareness. He is the most game savvy member of our forward line and already does more directing than most realise. We have some highly talented forwards, but intelligence is not in oversupply outside of Durds, JSOS and Owies. Harry, Charlie, TDK, Martin and Fisher get by on ability and instinct alone, but all have the fault of believing their own hype a little too much at times. Our structures suffer accordingly too often.

Durdin in providing he has recovered from Covid. Who goes out? Late replacement Fogarty is the first. My first thought was that Motlop needed a bigger body of work to assume a spot which is clearly his very soon. Then I thought Owies, Fisher and Martin were all sub par on Sunday. Port’s biggest chance to win this game is their defence. A strong team defence is what they offer. They will “dominate” a disjointed forward line. Motlop’s family is 50% SA and 50% WA, he would relish a debut on that turf. Uncle Steve playing for the oppo adds another layer as well. If young Jesse is going to come up short, it will be on the pressure “patterns”, making retention of Owies a priority. Fisher or Martin in the firing line for mine. I have Fisher offering least and am over his dinky little moves that rarely add anything to our connection and are often counter productive in that area.

If Pitto is fit must come in, with some question over his readiness, TDK holds his spot and gets a chance to earn back some credit. Love young Tom as a prospect, but his ruck work is one dimensional. Is it him, or is it coaching? Needs to reacquire a bit of grunt and advance his career. (Still think he may be a key defensive prospect if given opportunity)

Stocker is generation next in defence. Did enough to reclaim his spot and for mine replaces either Plowman or Newman. A little depends on their line up. Marshall and Georgiades were their talls last week. Lycett under a cloud, a possible debut for Sam Hayes. Hard to see them playing him one out, so perhaps Finlayson get’s a recall or they get creative. Do we need Plow as a third tall? If not he makes way, it they bring in a third tall then Newman becomes the casualty. (I would not complain if Parks got a gig as a third tall either, depending on the mix) Georgiades will be the biggest threat so will need a suitable athletic match up. While poor last week, Young is our best bet here (allowing OMac another week or some managed minutes in the twos). Weiters more than a match for Marshall.

Thinking both defences are a relative strength with our forwards having more weapons if they can get adequate delivery. Wines and Crippa out blunts both midfield groups. They have Boak and some decent youngsters who will have to step up phenomenally if our group is back in the job. It would be hard to deny Dow the chance to strut his stuff in the absence of the skipper.

That leaves us:
In: Stocker, Dow, Pittonet, Motlop, Durdin
Out: Cripps, Plowman(Newman), Fisher, Fogarty and Boyd(sub)
Pick your sub from the 23 Martin or Setterfield front runners

Plenty of changes, but four “no brainer“ ins and the fifth a matter of timing.
Your 3rd paragraph...100% spit on

At the very least you reward Stock and Dow for strong VFL form

Durdin and Pitt reclaim their spots

Interesting MC coming up….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m prepping for some serious melts when the team is selected. Teague era selection committee melts. Backbone will be mentioned.

IMG_8616.gif

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m prepping for some serious melts when the team is selected. Teague era selection committee melts. Backbone will be mentioned.

View attachment 1371030

Our main go to when we lose a game is the MC. Why isn’t player x selected he’s been killing it in the 2s....etc etc

Now I understand your point :thumbsupv1:
Your initial post, was a throw away statement that I didn't know what you meant...

Agree, we do not need to make wholesale changes on the back of a loss...
We seem to agree we lost the game at clearance our main scoring avenue and our zone has become loose and lacks any forward pressure...
Really hope to see some improvement in this area

Heard an interesting stat today
Rounds 1-3 - we were +24 points from clearance
Round 4 - We were -6 points from clearance

30 point differential, game set and match right there...
Then the undisciplined goals we gave away from 50m penalties...

We both have largely the same changes...
If fit, on historic form Pittonet, McDonald, Stocker & Durdin are all best 22 players... If available this week I'd bring them all in...

Don't think Mirkov is anywhere near ready for Seniors...

What is the humidity differential between games?

Our main go to when we lose a game is the MC. Why isn’t player x selected he’s been killing it in the 2s....etc etc

We have such short memories. Agree that players should be aiming to get into the firsts… but there is a reason that they are in the twos.

(Different if they’re coming back from injury)

The thing that I’ve enjoyed about Voss is it seems that the game plan has established roles that players are trained and selected to fulfill. Big difference from picking the best players and putting them in roles they’re not ideal for.

Carlton Head of Footy Brad Lloyd refused to put a line through the skipper on SEN SA Breakfast which, at the very least, indicates the injury is very minor.

“His hamstring is not too bad at all. It’s pretty minor. He sort of just overstretched,” Lloyd said.
“He was on the ground crouching down and sort of got a bit of contact, so he’s really just overstretched there.
“He’s had a scan and it was pretty positive. There’s not much damage there at all.

“He’s likely to miss a week, hasn’t been ruled out at this stage for this week, but he’s likely to miss a week and be back the following week which is a good result".

He got brushed aside so easily by Chol at times despite being taller and heavier than him. That’s not a good sign.
At best he doesn’t know how to use his body at worst he doesn’t want to use it.
I shudder to think what happens if he has to match up on the likes of Tex Walker, Peter Wright or Tom Hawkins.
I think McDonald is a safer bet this year at least.
I agree with the great beast…all teams need options…must persist with him.

It's amazing how important Durdin is to our team now (in my opinion). 19 years old and 5 career games. Pick 37. Super impressive
Makes things happen, is dangerous, harasses and applies pressure
Plenty of growth to come
Hopefully Motlop shows the same aptitude. I don't think Owies quite "has it" (although serviceable) and leg speed seems a problem

Would be looking to include stocker, bring durdin, pitto and Omac straight back in. So that's 4 changes already without even really 'swinging the axe'. It's just 4 better players returning.

There's a case for Parks in over Plowman. Parks is faster, better in the air and showing more desire and follow up work than plow atm. I also just wanna see parks back in the team. He's not one to lie down like the team did vs gc...

If Crippa is out that could then be 5 changes pretty easily, too. Really interesting selection week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back