Autopsy 2022 Rd 6 - Never in it. Blues disappoint in the West.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game tonight. Unfortunately the writing was on the wall when we didn’t get value for money for our first quarter dominance and then the injuries to Pitto and Harry came.

That said you could see the players were weary of the rebound off turnovers and genuinely dug in, but the repeat impact of the ball just continually coming back over the course of the second and third quarters with speed eventually wore us down.

In the end whilst the result was inevitable from half time at least the players didn’t waiver in their endeavours albeit the execution was sadly lacking.

I’ve seen the likes of Williams, Saad and Newman cop a fair bit of flak in the match day thread but they actually had a genuine crack.

For me the bigger issue was the lack of ideas when we had the ball during the 2nd and 3rd term both from the player in possession and those up the ground.

Blokes were putting in the effort and the likes of Cotts, Setts, Walsh, Owies and Newnes ran huge distances covering gaps and stopping overlaps but the problem was when their turn came to win a 50/50 contest they couldn’t.

In summary by far and away the biggest problem we have is that we have several player who simply cannot impact a game for long enough, and whilst some of them are familiar names in that group such as Fish, Martin, Durdin, Owies, Cotts, Newnes and Setts unfortunately some of them are also players like Harry and Charlie.

Last edited:

With Pitto's PCL we need a ruckman and Mirkov is the last dawg on the chain.....

Big blokes don't get any smaller

We've still got one spot left on the list I'd be scouring the countryside....
Pcl? We going the ol commentators diagnosis again are we?

Jeez that means Cripps is still out for another week. Shame.

Voss said it was a significant corkie. Let's go with the coach and not hyperbolic clowns in a box

Michael, you said similar, before we played them last year and you know the results

Yes, at the moment Dockers look slick in their ball movement and certainly play better at home, they are a solid side

Longmuir has had 3 preasons and 2 full years to bed down a gameplan, us 1 and 6 games

The other thing, unless they win a flag in the next 2 years, unlike them, we don't have to find replacements for players such as Walters, Mundy, Colyer, Fyfe, Wilson, Lobb, Hamling, Taberner, all 29+, all of which won't be around and or improve over that period

For different reasons, I see both sides at a similar level moving forward
I don't doubt we can catch them. At the moment Freo are a level above. We had around 7 players today who will never be afl finals standard. Austin has to really earn his keep at the draft table

Poor use of the ball killed them tonight

Yes but poor use of the ball seems like a symptom of players being unable to handle the pressure of teams when they up their intensity and really come at us.

We've seen it in lots of games now - second half against Dogs, Hawkes and Port. Most of the game against Suns and Freo - when the opposition bring the heat we have too many players that get the yips, fumble, turn to water or just don't know what to do.

It makes me wonder if we train for that level of pressure? I mean our own defense doesn't often exert it on opposition teams during actual games.

Last edited:
Hewett disposals by match: 28, 32, 28, 29, 33, 30.

Not too far off 50% contested rate, yet still running at 84% DE. Incredible.

Now add in 8 clearances and 5 tackles a match.

The guy is getting it done, doing the hard yards AND doing all that cleanly.

I can't get over how amazing his recruitment is.
He’s just so consistent with his effort and impact. We are very lucky to have him. I also think Cerra to a lesser degree has shown those traits too. Sadly there’s a few who have been around a bit longer like Setts, Fish and Martin who seemingly cannot. Until we get Hewett like effort and impact from a lot more players we are going nowhere in a hurry.

Yes but poor use of the ball is a symptom of players unable to handle the pressure of teams when they up their intensity and really come at us. We've seen it in lots of games now - second half against Dogs, Hawkes and Port. Most of the games against Suns and Freo - when the opposition bring the heat we have too many players that get the yips, fumble, turn to water or just don't know what to do. It makes me wonder if we train for that level of pressure? I mean our own defense doesn't often exert it on opposition teams during actual games.
We did during the preseason but you can’t train like that throughout the week every week, especially when you are about to go on the road. It’s all about maintenance at that point. Might be a reason why we look so soft on the road at the moment. Maybe we aren’t training with that intensity during the lead up so everyone can come off the plane cherry ripe to play.

We did during the preseason but you can’t train like that throughout the week every week, especially when you are about to go on the road. It’s all about maintenance at that point. Might be a reason why we look so soft on the road at the moment. Maybe we aren’t training with that intensity during the lead up so everyone can come off the plane cherry ripe to play.

Yep I get that and I am probably totally wrong with my assessment - I am just searching for reasons why so many of our players seem to lose composure when the heat is really on. It could just be that many are young and inexperienced but there are players out there who also have enough games under their belt that I feel it shouldn't be happening quite as much as it is.

I was at the game tonight. Unfortunately the writing was on the wall when we didn’t get value for money for our first quarter dominance and then the injuries to Pitto and Harry came.

That said you could see the players were weary of the rebound off turnovers and genuinely dug in, but the repeat impact of the ball just continually coming back over the course of the second and third quarters with speed eventually wore us down.

In the end whilst the result was inevitable from half time at least the players didn’t waiver in their endeavours albeit the execution was sadly lacking.

I’ve seen the likes of Williams, Saad and Newman cop a fair bit of flak in the match day thread but they actually had a genuine crack.

For me the bigger issue was the lack of ideas when we had the ball during the 2nd and 3rd term both the player in possession and those up the ground.

Blokes were putting in the effort and the likes of Cotts, Setts, Walsh, Owies and Newnes ran huge distances covering gaps and stopping overlaps but the problem was when their turn came to win a 50/50 contest they couldn’t.

In summary by far and away the biggest problem we have is that we have several player who simply cannot impact a game for long enough, and whilst some of them are familiar names in that group such as Fish, Martin, Durdin, Owies, Cotts, Newnes and Setts unfortunately some of them are also players like Harry and Charlie.

Who was playing on, and completely shutting out Fredericks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Setters young Parkes boyd cott Newnes arnt up to it right now. Their footy nous is non existent ..they continually panick.
Carry one or 2 but not that many. But injuries AGAIN are f our season. Once AGAIN no continuity. We r not at the stage where we can absorb so many guys out. Still very much a work on progress.
Sos kennedy in help alot. Carroll and stocker def make us better as well..bar for injury both would have already played. Also mite b time to chuck motlop in as well. All 5 have the same thing in common..they are footballers..they know have 2 play. The 2 bedutants are beauties..

Yep I get that and I am probably totally wrong with my assessment - I am just searching for reasons why so many of our players seem to lose composure when the heat is really on. It could just be that many are young and inexperienced but there are players out there who also have enough games under their belt that I feel it shouldn't be happening quite as much as it is.
Look at it on the flip side. We’ve made some decent oppo players look very fumbly throughout the year. When the heat is on, you start to realise who the best players in the comp are and it’s the players who are one touch no matter what sort of pressure is around. That is an elite group of players. Just didn’t have enough players do that tonight. Just played hot potato and couldn’t absorb it. It’s like were allergic to repeat stoppages in our d50.

Not sure why people are hating on Fisher. Had a shocker today sure but so did 10 others.

Before today he's averaged 19 touches 2 tackles and a goal in a tough half forward spot.
Runs one way. Lots of pressure acts but his man is always the one creating the overlap run. In every single game this year. It's fisher's guy.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Runs one way. Lots of pressure acts but his man is always the one creating the overlap run. In every single game this year. It's fisher's guy.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Sadly have to agree, when judged on his overall game is not up to it.

I hate to say this but this is about what I expected going into the game.

That said to lose by 6 goals and for:

• SOS to be ruled out before the game
  • Pittonet to go down early
  • Harry clearly playing injured

Actually fills me with more hope and belief than had we just gotten beaten.

Absolutely no excuses but valid reasons. All three are hugely important in how we play as a unit.

Hope the medical results come back positive for Pitto and H.

Onto the next. Our every season danger game.

I hate to say this but this is about what I expected going into the game.

That said to lose by 6 goals and for:

• SOS to be ruled out before the game
  • Pittonet to go down early
  • Harry clearly playing injured

Actually fills me with more hope and belief than had we just gotten beaten.

Absolutely no excuses but valid reasons. All three are hugely important in how we play as a unit.

Hope the medical results come back positive for Pitto and H.

Onto the next. Our every season danger game.
I agree with this. When Pitt went down we were playing with one less man. I turned the TV off when I saw Lewis Young and Setterfield rucking against that big fat guy from freo.

I got a sinking feeling when I saw our strip too.

And freo need to settle down a bit. They should have put us away. They didnt. Freo are effective but I do not like them. In fact I hate them. Put them in the bin with Port, WCE, Bris and Ess. Putrid horrible team. Can we arrange pooey pants Brayshaw and Cripps to have 5 minutes in a cell, bare knuckles?

I still very much like us. You can see we are still a work in progress. I dont like seeing Newnes, Cottrell, Boyd getting games - but what do I know. Lets see the boy Carroll please, and Stock - come back now please.

I still very much like us.

Freo are putrid oxygen thiefs.

Thanks for your time Wickzki

While it was a disappointing loss tonight, in better news, last week we beat the team that just smashed West Coast by 84 points!!!! Wow wee we are good 👍 👏 😀

Was frustrating to watch.

Seemed to me that Freo consistently were able to free up their hands when being tackled and hit targets. They’re either very good at it or something is wrong with our technique.

The crowd got on top of the umpires in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, but that evened off in the last and is never an excuse.

We have some better players in the stands that will improve us when they come in - most of our problems can be fixed with the cattle we have.

Pittonet is not a top level ruckman imo, yet without him we’re stuffed - I think that’s a glaring concern for us given the style of game we are trying to play.

Better to be 4-2 with issues than 1-5 with issues ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Rd 6 - Never in it. Blues disappoint in the West.

Back