VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Matty was really good, Espescially considering his size. Was very clean in the wet. As much as people will write him off he will take time. He has the tools though.
I don't see him with any future on the wing

I get we are probably just trying to get his hands on the footy and help his development a bit but I think if he's ever going to make it it's likely as a third tall forward so I'm hoping before too long we let him start developing in that role

I get we are probably just trying to get his hands on the footy and help his development a bit but I think if he's ever going to make it it's likely as a third tall forward so I'm hoping before too long we let him start developing in that role

As Batch said, he'll play him on the wing for a few more weeks.... they obviously have other plans for Allison & they're trying to teach him a few things before the next part of the development plan begins.

There really is no rush at all with him at this stage. Let him develop physically, get used to playing against men & build his understanding of the game at an elite level.

The NVM’s of the world are much rarer then the Sonsie’s, and the Hobb’s and the Sinn’s.

I would’ve liked Sonsie too if we had the right pick, but I’m very very happy with NVM, Windy and Owens. That’s a great haul on paper thus far, given our picks, with Adams, Peris and Kyle as prospects.
I only watched the 13 min mini match - and the thing I like about Owens is he looks like he loves playing and getting physical - at 18 playing against men in pouring rain and wind at Sandy a young bloke might be excused for thinking abit about preservation - this guy just seemed to have a smile on his face the whole time and looked liked he was loving it

The NVM’s of the world are much rarer then the Sonsie’s, and the Hobb’s and the Sinn’s.

I would’ve liked Sonsie too if we had the right pick, but I’m very very happy with NVM, Windy and Owens. That’s a great haul on paper thus far, given our picks, with Adams, Peris and Kyle as prospects.

I'd say that he looks more of a high risk, high reward type. Sonsie and Sinn both have a bit of something different. Hobbs looks more like your regular bull mid that are easy to find but not find good ones.

NWM is hard to work out how they'll play him. He seems to be given licence to run everywhere right now. Where they settle him will make or break his career IMO. If he's playing as a free wheeling outside midfield runner he should be able to set up a lot of goals, if he gets dropped to a back flank he could be bored to death. Ratts seems to love his best users rebounding off HBF.

He looks like the type that finds footy quite natural but keeping him engaged will be key to getting the most out of him. Those types that find footy easy can get bored quickly. Basically keep him out of defence.

That’s a bit ambiguous. So is he available round three? Hope so

Yeah it's confusing. I think it means he "could" play round 3, but it "could" be stretched out even further.

If someone told me that I couldn't open the fridge until at least 7, to me that means the fridge would be available to me at 7 at the earliest.

I think Batch might have put him there to build his confidence back up. He got absolutely massacred down back and would have been feeling pretty shitty after the week before. I think he needs to pick a forward role and be developed there. I haven't seen any evidence that throwing players around to learn variety has any major benefits to them other than to delay their development. We've invested in Matty for the longer term, we need to make him work out, give him a role to learn and play him there.

I'd say that he looks more of a high risk, high reward type. Sonsie and Sinn both have a bit of something different. Hobbs looks more like your regular bull mid that are easy to find but not find good ones.

NWM is hard to work out how they'll play him. He seems to be given licence to run everywhere right now. Where they settle him will make or break his career IMO. If he's playing as a free wheeling outside midfield runner he should be able to set up a lot of goals, if he gets dropped to a back flank he could be bored to death. Ratts seems to love his best users rebounding off HBF.

He looks like the type that finds footy quite natural but keeping him engaged will be key to getting the most out of him. Those types that find footy easy can get bored quickly. Basically keep him out of defence.
I think our two ngas also played a part in the selection of nwm. If we say picked Hobbs we would of got three very similar players. NWM looks like he will be a gun, a lot faster than I thought he was as well

I think Batch might have put him there to build his confidence back up. He got absolutely massacred down back and would have been feeling pretty shitty after the week before.

In his comments the week before he said they had to throw Allison back because they lost players to the AFL side, so I think the wing was always the plan, for better or worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our two ngas also played a part in the selection of nwm. If we say picked Hobbs we would of got three very similar players. NWM looks like he will be a gun, a lot faster than I thought he was as well

That we got Owens and Windy certainly helps.

But I’m not sure Sinn or Hobbs were the best choice. I think they’ll be players but not totally convinced they would’ve been the best bang for our buck. NVM was always going early, and if we passed Port would’ve taken him for sure. He’s a point of difference currently, and if Hobbs or Sinn were in our team I’m not sure they’d be a point of difference. Neither of them are quite that right type of inside/outside mid we are looking for. Windy and Owens are almost better options in that regard and on potential.

Of course, NVM isn’t that type of mid either. But he’s gonna be striving to be the best in his position (wing). That’s future value on investment.

To my suprise, NVM has also fitted in well at AFL level. He’ll only improve the areas that take time to improve (where to position and so on) but it’s the little intangible things which are very assuring. In the games he’s played he’s demonstrated that silky kick of his which alludes to a high ceiling in that area. He’s tall, he’s physical, and I reckon he’ll have a specky or two in him before the seasons out. An excellent selection so far who promises so much.

At first I was worried about bust potential, but injury and perhaps home-sickness aside, all indicators are pointing to NVM being an absolute player. Looks special. Just don’t **** up his development.

As Batch said, he'll play him on the wing for a few more weeks.... they obviously have other plans for Allison & they're trying to teach him a few things before the next part of the development plan begins.

There really is no rush at all with him at this stage. Let him develop physically, get used to playing against men & build his understanding of the game at an elite level.
we also have a Caroll ( i think) as a development guy this should help all the players

I think it makes sense. He's still slight but is filling out pretty well. If he can build a tank, get used to touching the pill a bit more as his body is developing then he could get thrown back into a KPD spot in a year or two. He'd have had twice as many touches over those developing years, learned more about the footy that gets played in the middle of the ground, and have more confidence that he belongs.

I used to think "draft a KP player, play them there" but not if it means they'll get beat up for a few seasons and have less confidence once their body has matured.

Interesting that the Bummers are getting smacked in the contests, yet Hobbs , who was said to be ready to go, hasn't been called up.

though....
now it looks like they will throw him to the wolves.

Interesting that the Bummers are getting smacked in the contests, yet Hobbs , who was said to be ready to go, hasn't been called up.

though....
now it looks like they will throw him to the wolves.
Not sure why they are throwing him to the wolves

We was reportedly very good in the VFL against a quality side in Casey

I can also understand why they started him in the VFL. Essendon just played finals and have a fairly deep midfield.

They haven't performed and he's earnt his spot

In his comments the week before he said they had to throw Allison back because they lost players to the AFL side, so I think the wing was always the plan, for better or worse.

i think the answer lies in his strengths. allison's strengths are his work rate. his ability to cover ground and compete. his weakness seems to be finding the footy, particularly the running patterns required.

chucking him on the wing should get him clear of an immediate opponent and give him the freedom to roam and find the footy without a hard tag. if you chuck him fwd he's going to attract attention with a lock down defender. throw him back and he's under pressure having to do something he's probably not suited too.

having said that the challenge for him will be to get involved in the play, but that could be the easier of the three before mentioned challenges to overcome.

you just need to get him going. getting him clunking a few. get him involved in some plays. then you can move adjust from there.

That we got Owens and Windy certainly helps.

But I’m not sure Sinn or Hobbs were the best choice. I think they’ll be players but not totally convinced they would’ve been the best bang for our buck. NVM was always going early, and if we passed Port would’ve taken him for sure. He’s a point of difference currently, and if Hobbs or Sinn were in our team I’m not sure they’d be a point of difference. Neither of them are quite that right type of inside/outside mid we are looking for. Windy and Owens are almost better options in that regard and on potential.

Of course, NVM isn’t that type of mid either. But he’s gonna be striving to be the best in his position (wing). That’s future value on investment.

To my suprise, NVM has also fitted in well at AFL level. He’ll only improve the areas that take time to improve (where to position and so on) but it’s the little intangible things which are very assuring. In the games he’s played he’s demonstrated that silky kick of his which alludes to a high ceiling in that area. He’s tall, he’s physical, and I reckon he’ll have a specky or two in him before the seasons out. An excellent selection so far who promises so much.

At first I was worried about bust potential, but injury and perhaps home-sickness aside, all indicators are pointing to NVM being an absolute player. Looks special. Just don’t **** up his development.
Bloody hell, a boy does one bullet pass in one game, and everyone on here says "this kid is going to be special". Max King kicks 4 goals twice in a row and it's "This guy is going to be the next Buddy"

Just cool it and enjoy watching these players develop without the Messiah expectation.

Bloody hell, a boy does one bullet pass in one game, and everyone on here says "this kid is going to be special". Max King kicks 4 goals twice in a row and it's "This guy is going to be the next Buddy"

Just cool it and enjoy watching these players develop without the Messiah expectation.

Or the alternative… hasn’t demanded a spot in 2 covid ruined years, has been injured & medical sub, seasoned senior players in his way…

Delist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

giphy.gif

Would be saying the same thing without that bullet pass. It’s the early signs of confidence, taking the difficult kick, leaping for marks, getting physical and being quick with his hands. It’s promising stuff for a 2nd gamer “who would be a slow developer”.

Only talking potential here but as I said, the indicators are good. And there’s a reason most tend to agree and he was highly rated in the draft.

But if you don’t think he has potential to be special that’s your prerogative. I’m enjoying watching him play either way.

There is no messiah expectation, just the Nasiah expectation.

As for King, you only have to look as far how every other fan-base seems envious of him to get a picture on how promising he is. He’s as close to a ‘messiah’ as any other kid in the AFL. And by messiah I mean, he’s gonna kick a crap tonne of goals.

Good response, keep that up and you could be the next Gringo.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back