VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Bloody hell, a boy does one bullet pass in one game, and everyone on here says "this kid is going to be special". …

Just cool it and enjoy watching these players develop without the Messiah expectation.

It’s spelled Nasiah.

Saints love the covid impact. Hub season led to our first finals appearance and win in ages and now free access to Windy and Owens who would have gone out of our reach
We were due some luck...let's just hope the coaches and development team work that luck into something advantageous.

The NVM’s of the world are much rarer then the Sonsie’s, and the Hobb’s and the Sinn’s.

I would’ve liked Sonsie too if we had the right pick, but I’m very very happy with NVM, Windy and Owens. That’s a great haul on paper thus far, given our picks, with Adams, Peris and Kyle as prospects.
I dunno, from his pre draft footage and watching him vs sandy I think sonsie is quite different to sinn and hobbs. Sonsie has brilliant disposal, even in the wet on the weekend his kicking was lace out

I dunno, from his pre draft footage and watching him vs sandy I think sonsie is quite different to sinn and hobbs. Sonsie has brilliant disposal, even in the wet on the weekend his kicking was lace out
Definitely, Sinn, Hobbs, NVM and Sonsie are all different style players by my understanding.

Sinn = running half back
Hobbs = contested inside player
Sonsie = small mid/fwd
NVM = winger

I just think that NVM as a winger is more unique then Hobbs as a contested player for example. I love NVM’s height as well, he’s just got the weapons to develop into a unique player. But hey - I’m just operating on potential and bias, and who knows how they grow as players.

I wouldn’t have complained about taking any of these players at pick 11 - though Sonsie may have been a reach given where he went on draft night. However, he was BOG for Richmond VFL last weekend, and obvs highly rated as a jnr.

Definitely, Sinn, Hobbs, NVM and Sonsie are all different style players by my understanding.

Sinn = running half back
Hobbs = contested inside player
Sonsie = small mid/fwd
NVM = winger

I just think that NVM as a winger is more unique then Hobbs as a contested player for example. I love NVM’s height as well, he’s just got the weapons to develop into a unique player. But hey - I’m just operating on potential and bias, and who knows how they grow as players.

I wouldn’t have complained about taking any of these players at pick 11 - though Sonsie may have been a reach given where he went on draft night. However, he was BOG for Richmond VFL last weekend, and obvs highly rated as a jnr.
Wings tend to have a very high bust factor compared to mids. Generally because they are usually playing wing because winning their own ball isn’t their strength. So far NWM looks good though.

Wings tend to have a very high bust factor compared to mids. Generally because they are usually playing wing because winning their own ball isn’t their strength. So far NWM looks good though.

Yeah he's pretty similar to Farren Ray and Faz did not much at the Dogs for the first 5 years / 75 games of his career. Eventually came over to us in his 6th year and was handy, at that point his body had developed enough to win a little bit of hard ball, even though it was never his game really.

I was a big fan of Sonsie and still amazed he wasn't rated higher

I would have been happy to take him at 11 to he honest

Is it nonsense to suggest that there is an ilk of a player, that whilst playing in the lower quality of competition or even in a poor quality AFL side will not necessarily shine. Put that same player in a squad of the highest quality and suddenly question marks appear to be answered.......contrary to what would normally be the case........you'd imagine there's more time and opportunity in the twos but for a select few not the case.

In SHARMAN's case.....his qualities seem to take a leap of magnitude when he plays seniors. The higher quality around these kinds of players seems to enable their skill set.
In a similar but different sense with a player like WANG MIL........I don't think our team in the seniors would have been good enough prior to this season to afford the kind of luxury of having both a HILL type and a WANG MIL...the better the team gets the better these two will make us ...its not an exponential factor but it definitely excedes the standard increase!.

Its not just that they are both receivers but as they grow everyone will appear to improve with them. Readiness for greatness arrives like that I believe, furthermore we are showing signs of approaching that.. Then with the potential excitement that radiates from the likes of KYLE, PERIS, OWENS and particularly WINDHAGER now, it grows yet again.

In an aside regarding the critics of HILL in the past...I think he has done an amazing job of trying to be more than he is, in a way that doesn't suit his apparatus and modus operandi. We weren't really good enough for him to enable him to be at his best but now there are signs that we can extract what the likes of these two are really built for!
Maybe there's a lot of the obvious about what I'm feeling but hopefully it proves to be correct! Time in the twos good for some, not so for others...It must be so hard as a coach or inner circle personnel, to always get this distinction identified and get it right!

Is it nonsense to suggest that there is an ilk of a player, that whilst playing in the lower quality of competition or even in a poor quality AFL side will not necessarily shine. Put that same player in a squad of the highest quality and suddenly question marks appear to be answered.......contrary to what would normally be the case........you'd imagine there's more time and opportunity in the twos but for a select few not the case.

In SHARMAN's case.....his qualities seem to take a leap of magnitude when he plays seniors. The higher quality around these kinds of players seems to enable their skill set.
In a similar but different sense with a player like WANG MIL........I don't think our team in the seniors would have been good enough prior to this season to afford the kind of luxury of having both a HILL type and a WANG MIL...the better the team gets the better these two will make us ...its not an exponential factor but it definitely excedes the standard increase!.

Its not just that they are both receivers but as they grow everyone will appear to improve with them. Readiness for greatness arrives like that I believe, furthermore we are showing signs of approaching that.. Then with the potential excitement that radiates from the likes of KYLE, PERIS, OWENS and particularly WINDHAGER now, it grows yet again.

In an aside regarding the critics of HILL in the past...I think he has done an amazing job of trying to be more than he is, in a way that doesn't suit his apparatus and modus operandi. We weren't really good enough for him to enable him to be at his best but now there are signs that we can extract what the likes of these two are really built for!
Maybe there's a lot of the obvious about what I'm feeling but hopefully it proves to be correct! Time in the twos good for some, not so for others...It must be so hard as a coach or inner circle personnel, to always get this distinction identified and get it right!

Some truth to that. Hill has been taking the contact this year and after getting shitty at his softness I think he was better last year when he could play out in space. Hill is playing a much tighter game in 2022 which is probably why we can let Naz off playing a more defined role.

I think there is some truth to it and I've thought that as well. Some players the way they play could shine at a higher level with better ball use and quality around them, more professional coaching, etc.

I think there is some truth to it and I've thought that as well. Some players the way they play could shine at a higher level with better ball use and quality around them, more professional coaching, etc.
I think that's why so many posters worry about having a player like SHARMAN back in the twos. Like he's proven he can excel amongst quality opposition, he's a blooded warrior and now we are keeping him in boot camp...where the metal of his blade might only be dulled. The other point is more about a skill not even becoming realised or manifest until our seniors are good enough to make use of it..........in the WANG MIL and HILL scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont mind a good winger in the side especially if they can creep forward. Not every player has to win their own ball but their finishing skills need to be good. The extra height is good as well. There are a few good gut running wingers around and that takes courage to do as well.

He got a tackle in against Richmond, something 6 of our players didn't.
And without making him a contested beast, 4 contested possessions out of 12 is pretty good for a noob. ( Butler and Hill 3 each ).

If we end up with a Daniel Wells type ( without the injuries ), i'll be real happy.

Sandringham 15.4 (94) def Richmond 5.10 (40)
10 Marcus Windhager (San)
8 Tyler Sonsie (Ric)
5 Tom Campbell (San)
5 Mitch Owens (San)
5 Maurice Rioli (Ric)
1 Ryan Byrnes (San)
1 Darragh Joyce (San)

Wait, how many votes do the coaches get to give out? I count 35 votes cast here :drunk:

As with the AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year, the VFL award is voted on by the coaches of each club after every game.

The coaches are awarding 5-4-3-2-1 to their best players in the game from either team, with those votes collated and revealed each week on vfl.com.au.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2022 Sandringham Zebras

Remove this Banner Ad

Back