Game Day 2022 Trade Period Match Thread

Have you installed a Rheem or felt the loving embrace of Continental Tyres safely guide your trip?

• Having a shower in my Rheem right now

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • No, what a stupid poll

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • YOU DONT KNOW ME

Votes: 22 18.0%
  • Luke Jackson

Votes: 65 53.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'll be on Freo & development if Liam goes to the Demons and becomes Kozzie mark 2, he's got all the attributes but our development of him has been s**t.
And with 2 of our top 10 from the medal last night leaving, should call it the Mundy medal, we is in for some pain next season imo
Could be part of the problem but there's also that saying you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Sounds like a he's a good kid that's talented but maybe the lad isn't cut out to be an elite sportsperson, there's no shame in that.

Anyway although time is now starting to become a factor where he actually has to start showing something pretty soon there's still enough left for that to happen.

If Top 10 players leave your club, it's generally behavioural (Liam doesn't drink etc) or the club has not used the skills of the player properly.
He's still very light, and I'd like him to get strength to his core. Not easy for indigenous sometimes, but if Charlie Cameron or Kozzie are the prototypes, then Liam has the potential, in spades.
All you Kool Aid drinkers thinking we'll just get better naturally are in a parallel universe. Geelong will get stronger, Richmond same, Brisbane stronger etc.
To get better you need to keep your core to push to get higher. I'd argue that Lobb & Logue are core

If Top 10 players leave your club, it's generally behavioural (Liam doesn't drink etc) or the club has not used the skills of the player properly.
He's still very light, and I'd like him to get strength to his core. Not easy for indigenous sometimes, but if Charlie Cameron or Kozzie are the prototypes, then Liam has the potential, in spades.
All you Kool Aid drinkers thinking we'll just get better naturally are in a parallel universe. Geelong will get stronger, Richmond same, Brisbane stronger etc.
To get better you need to keep your core to push to get higher. I'd argue that Lobb & Logue are core
Agree about Lobb.

The other argument is when was the last time a small forward changed a GF?
They are a piece of the puzzle.
There is a reason Cats, Tigers, even Dees acquired more talls.
Even the Pies are into McStay.

Forward line still under construction, has been since Pavlich retired.
Can't win a big one with the present forward line

I think a lot of it needs some serious development of thought within the heads of the coaching box. Longmuir seems to favour a small but fast, running "pressure" forward line like he had (and sort of still have) at Collingwood; I agree with others that that is unlikely to get us through to a premiership, particularly as our centre midfield often seem setup for defensive counterattack from the get go rather than a strike-first mentality. The forward line failures are as much about the midfield as they are the personnel in the forward line.

Having said that, them backing in Amiss at the end of the season was a positive development - hopefully that continues next season regardless of whether Lobb is still with us or whether he has gone. I want them to actually swap out Logue (assuming he is going) with a medium forward that can actually kick goals; if we lose out a bit on tackle pressure then we need to wear that; we can't bring in Johnson or Banfield instead of Sturt if they are going to be a goal a game on average behind Sturt or another medium forward or well behind on marks.

It's funny, I watched on one of the channels a long collection of Bailey Fritcsh not tackling, chasing or generally being selfish kicking for goal, and was thinking that it is all of that kind of stuff that is not seeing some of our more talented forwards not get a game.

OR once again the top 10 player just isn't what was hoped. There's literally a truckload of top 10 players that just don't make it.
Henry is young and has opportunity. I'd have liked the noise about him being that he is looking forward to a big pre-season and working on aspects of his game to get into the 22. Instead the noise is he wants to go elsewhere for opportunity with a year to run on his contract.

Although, most don't really know why he's leaving if that's his desire, if it's because he felt he wasn't getting a go? He's soft as... in every aspect.

Of course there are also a lot of people who move to Perth and love the relaxed suburban feel of the place. They move into their little suburban bubble and just love the convenience of that kind of life.
I'm sorry, but there's only enough for one Suburban beauty in my life and his name is Nick and won 3 brownlow medals!

He's a light midfielder, with exquisite foot skills on both sides.
He needs strength, in contest and in tackling.
From what I've seen he hasn't developed any of these at Freo.
He's got the requisite skill set, and maybe another club is what is needed?
If so, Freo have failed and we will see another ex Freo player making the most of his 2nd opportunity.
There's been plenty

It'll be on Freo & development if Liam goes to the Demons and becomes Kozzie mark 2, he's got all the attributes but our development of him has been s**t.
And with 2 of our top 10 from the medal last night leaving, should call it the Mundy medal, we is in for some pain next season imo
What attributes are they?

If so, Freo have failed and we will see another ex Freo player making the most of his 2nd opportunity.
There's been plenty

All hypothetical. Could just as easily go to another club and do SFA. Been plenty of those types too.

If he’s required to strengthen up, how much is that on the club?

Once again I like Henry. It’s on him.

There's been plenty
I think exquisite foot skills overstates it a lot.
I find his kicks limited enough, they float through the air and take an age to reach their target.
Meat and drink for good AFL defenders.
He’s got to improve that aspect big time I feel.

The Serong thing is a storm in a teacup type of thing, I didn't take him wanting to leave out of that speech at all. BUT if Serong left that might just be it for me, I can handle Lobb and Logue leaving as they seem like up themselves flogs but Serong leaving would absolutely rip my heart out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think at some point Serong will go home. Maybe around 2026 if our window is closing. He will be at his prime then and will have million dollar contract offers. We would want 2 high first round picks. If he was made captain after Fyfe then that might sway him to stay longer.

With the age profile of our list, our window is more likely to be opening/primed in 2026 than it is to be closing. It might not be a popular opinion on here due to nudging top 4 this year and people's impatience, but I think we have 2-3 years of development before approaching our peak. I don't think we will be true contenders until guys like Chapman, O'Driscoll, Erasmus, Johnson and Amiss are where the likes of Brayshaw and Serong are now.

There's been plenty
Then he needs to put in the work and be patient. He should play when he is ready, not when his draft position seems to dictate to him. If you saw him play lately, there has been nothiing exquisite about his skills.

I was watching the end of the doing when I got home last night and it worried me that Sergong and Brayshaw have girlfriends from Melbourne.

Is anyone else concerned about that going forward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was watching the end of the doing when I got home last night and it worried me that Sergong and Brayshaw have girlfriends from Melbourne.

I’ve heard the girls from Melbourne are just as nice as ones from Perth…

Oh, you meant in terms of them leaving? Hell naw. Would be the end of Freo if their dual captains left.

I have said in the past that when a club recruits a player it also recruits his missus to a certain extent.

Some girls are quite happy to follow their other half where ever their career takes them but others are not. A young lady who has aspirations of a career as a model may not want to live out west on Perth.

I find his kicks limited enough, they float through the air and take an age to reach their target.
Nah he has one of the best field kicks at the club, has a Walters type of kick albeit right foot. When his confidence is low at the back end of the wafl season this year he started missing more kicks.
On that note even Walters was kicking some god awful shanks/over the head/turn overs when his form was poor last year.

To be fair he is an early first round draft pick moving after three years and they think he's going to be a star. That's pretty s**t for them. Logue's no star and has given us six years. I think that's the difference.
Imagine if, say, Hayden Young was heading back east this year after giving us three years, I reckon there might be calls for blood.
Yeah Id had a few to drink, wasn't thinking the straightest and regret calling the Melbourne lads out like that haha, if Young or Serong had requested trades 3 years in id be bloody dirty too.

That's a crap call, Kozzie is as physical as they come, Henry avoids contests.

My take is Henry's kicking is excellent, his best asset. He can pinpoint a bullet to a team mate in a small area. He is just not physical enough yet and probably not maturing fast enough in general. Another year or two and we'll know if he's any good or not.

The Serong thing is a storm in a teacup type of thing, I didn't take him wanting to leave out of that speech at all. BUT if Serong left that might just be it for me, I can handle Lobb and Logue leaving as they seem like up themselves flogs but Serong leaving would absolutely rip my heart out.
Leave? where would you go? West Coast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back