List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Honestly it was probably overs for what he's achieved. We had to save face and they had to save face so both wasted each other's time and energy. Probably both happy to play grown ups while the big boys were playing.

Hopefully we can repair the relationship because he's worth more to us playing than what he'll get us next year.
Who’d have thought doing very little was a great result? Anyone who follows st kilda, we need a clean out of this rats next of a club. Peak mad thommo can’t possibly be worse than these campaigners who don’t give two hoots about st kilda.

I genuinely want him to break out and still want to leave.

I want to bend North over for their pick 1.

Like Dard Ball Get get does to George
You seem fascinated by this bending over business...it's okay to let those true feelings out Stav

The problem is if you drop no-one wants in and players want out to chase a premiership. The only reason we haven't had an exodus up until now is that most of our lists have been s**t and our good players get paid like superstars.

We have to start doing everything better from on-field to recruiting, development and list management.
I think everyone can agree on that. Lots of new faces in administration and coaching, hopefully it leads to improvement.

at least Bytel didn’t get traded,

Highmore too.

I'm amazed those guys are sticking around.

Both big chances to be very good AFL players- better them on our list than elsewhere, for at least another year.

12 months is an eternity in footy- they are both 1 injury to a teammate away from getting a real decent crack at cementing a spot in (hopefully) a strong, finals bound team.

Garbage offer by Norf, glad we didn't take it. Our counter was pricey but we didn't want to part with him and if they want a contracted player, they had to try (much) harder.

The problem is if you drop no-one wants in and players want out to chase a premiership. The only reason we haven't had an exodus up until now is that most of our lists have been s**t and our good players get paid like superstars.

We have to start doing everything better from on-field to recruiting, development and list management.
Don’t know if you’ve noticed, nobody wants to come anyway.
If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Looks like we tried to trade Clark for a quality pick.

If we get Dunkley then you give up pick 9 and next years first. I just don't know if that's a smart move for us.

Bowes was obviously always going to Geelong I wouldn't lose sleep over that one.
Agreed, it’s not that we didn’t try, it’s that we didn’t achieve.
We are where we finished, whereas on the surface level Dees, Cats, Lions, Tigers, Dogs and Pies have all levelled-up.

Agreed, it’s not that we didn’t try, it’s that we didn’t achieve.
We are where we finished, whereas on the surface level Dees, Cats, Lions, Tigers, Dogs and Pies have all levelled-up.
Definitely looks that way. We need to find a way to get improvement out of the current list, if we can't do that we are stuffed.

Jeez we over rate some of our players.

Bowes was thrown in as steak knives in the Pick 7 deal

Clark has very rare traits that aren’t reflected through a stats package on footy wire. Will be a Poor reflection on himself if he isn’t a top 5 player on an AFL list during his career.

So Geelong downgraded their first and gave away all but their first round picks this year and next year.
Under the rules i think they are obliged to take a player with the last pick in the draft this year.

They got Bruhn, and Bowe.
Not an amazing result, it all hinged on them getting that bullshit pick 7 that came with Bowes.
I hope that Karma smacks them one and their pick goes Trent West on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Gallagher is stating that we will push for the flag in 2024. Must mean that Ben King & Connor Rosee (Saints Fan as a kid) have informed us, that they will come to us? in 2024

WHY SAINTS DECIDED AGAINST GRUNDY PLAY

St Kilda considered making a play for traded Collingwood ruckman Brodie Grundy before deciding to install Rowan Marshall as the club’s No.1 ruck for the foreseeable future.

Ruckman Paddy Ryder has retired and the Saints decided they would prefer to lock in a partnership between Ryder and key forward Max King instead of bringing in the dual All-Australian.

They were unapologetic about their quiet trade period, adamant they wouldn’t go “throwing draft picks (and) money out just to finish sixth”.

They signed lockdown defender Zaine Cordy (Western Bulldogs) as a free agent, who could free up Callum Wilkie to play on a third tall forward and take more intercept marks.

Cordy will also help shelter the Saints’ baby key defenders before they are ready for the rigours of regular AFL football.

List boss James Gallagher said supporters, who would have to be in their late 50s to have seen the club’s only premiership in 1966, wouldn’t mind waiting another 12 months to ensure the Saints spiked sharply.

“There’s a real sense of urgency at our footy club to get better and go up the ladder. But we’re not trying to go up the ladder to finish sixth,” Gallagher said.

“We want to be a team that plays at the real pointy end of the year. If that takes a year longer, that’s OK.

“Our supporters are unbelievably patient. They’re passionate, they are loyal and they are patient.”
Gallagher said most of the club’s improvement in 2023 would come from their nucleus who missed large chunks of the year through injury.

Top-10 picks Jack Billings and Hunter Clark played just eight games while captain Jack Steele missed a month mid-season.

“All I know is we’ve got a number of good players that we didn’t get a lot out of in 2022 primarily through injury that are going to come back into our side in 2023,” Gallagher said.

“So there’s a lot of growth there. We played some pretty good footy in the first half of the year. We played some pretty ordinary footy in the second half of the year.

“We’re not miles off.”

The Saints had a red-hot crack at free agent Jordan De Goey, but after missing out Gallagher said: “We’re not just going to throw money at getting other players in or another player that becomes available. We’ve got to be really strategic about that”.

Gallagher said picks in the top 25-30 – and the first six – were being tightly held, but he was content with the draft hand and backed recruiter Chris Toce to nail the talent call.

The Saints hold picks 9, 28, 32 and 47.

“We might have a pick inside 10 and then a couple of picks in the second round, which based on what I’ve seen of this year’s draft, that’s a pretty good hand,” he said.
Trying to fix things quickly can take a very long time.

So, we did nothing. Didn't improve the draft hand either (although pick swaps are live to trade until draft night).

We are good enough when we're at our best but the end to last season has put me in a position where I don't exactly know what to make of us heading into 2023. Hard to get a read on.

I'm leaning more towards us falling away than going up based on everything so far. Hopefully the clean out of footy dept staff was our trade period and that's what we needed to unlock the potential in this group.

Going into 2023 with a lot more pessimism than previous years and just hoping I'm wrong. The way we've gone about the rebuild has really started to concern me this year. Just hoping mentalities change and consistency is found and that 8-3 team we saw last season becomes permanent.

We have the talent to win a premiership with the current list but there's so much potential that isn't being realised and we are fumbling a premiership away in a sense given how much we are getting in our own way to becoming a good side.

I hope I'm dead wrong and we somehow turn the ship around with the current crop. Ultimately I've got no idea what to expect and that worries me.

The thing Gags said about waiting a year makes me think we have some big commitments coming our way. Probably Bing at a minimum.
Im really pumped for ‘24. 👊
I have some very exciting opportunities opening up through some connections which I have in Nigeria. You can be a part of them but I need you to give me $500,000 to get it off the ground.

Definitely looks that way. We need to find a way to get improvement out of the current list, if we can't do that we are stuffed.
Well a fit Clark, coffield, gresham, billings, Steele, Marshall, mckenzie, Higgins and Howard isn’t a bad start. Not to mention 1 of our most underrated players in Paton will be much better after coming back from a bad break.

The thing Gags said about waiting a year makes me think we have some big commitments coming our way. Probably Bing at a minimum.
Im really pumped for ‘24. 👊
I was really excited last year when the president said 2022 is when our window will be open and we will be competing for a flag

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Back