List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Very curious to see who will be pulling the string I really hope it’s Toice not Sos. Sos got lucky one year and the rest of his drafting leaves a lot to be desired. Toice has more of the Dalrympal /Derek Hine vibe which is taking risks on X factor players Pou, Nas but also rewarding state leaguers , Hayes, Coops and Wilks

Just watched a highlights package on Cooper Simpson.
If you want to see an ideal prototype of what we need, look no further than this kid…absolute jet!

Agree I'll be surprised if he is not taken higher than the phantom drafts have him. He is basically a lower production version of McKercher, who would fit well into our midfield mix.

Polarising - I hope he's polarising enough to slide a few spots - I'd take him in a flash with our second pick

14. George Stevens

GWV Rebels/Vic Country

MID/DEF, 189cm, 84kg

Talent League: 13 games, 28.8 disposals, 7.0 clearances

Stevens is a polarising player in this draft - He doesn't burst from contest and isn't flashy. But he's an elite ball-winner and decision-maker, plus can bite off corridor kicks with reliable ball use in space. His athleticism is peripheral to these traits as an inside midfielder, and clubs know his leadership and professionalism are top notch after rehabbing a torn ACL last season and returning to captain the AFL Academy.

Comparing a kid like Murphy to Adams is quite bizarre TBH.

Adams was a pick in the 50's for a reason.

Murphy is rated in the teens for a reason.

Harris Andrews doesn't really defend man on man... neither does Darcy Moore.

Both were also gangly AF when drafted.

Fair call but from what I have seen he is not that good at defending, how much of him playing have you actually seen? I watched half a dozen Sandringham games and all the championships this year and nothing about him stood out to me - other than he is tall with a good reach.

In their draft year Andrews 91kg's and Moore 93kg's, Murphy is reported at 85kg's. I dont purport to be a draft expert, but I cant see what the supposed experts see in him. I likened him to Adams in build wise taking years to develop, not on reported abilities.

I saw in todays Twomey and Sheahan phantom draft they didnt have him in the top 20. You might recall Andrews was taken at pick #61 because he was tall and rangy. Some players of that size work out some dont eg Zach Reid at Essendon pick #10 in 2019 and still hasnt secured a permanent game. I simply I dont think he is worth using our 1st pick on, he would be a good 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Fair call but from what I have seen he is not that good at defending, how much of him playing have you actually seen? I watched half a dozen Sandringham games and all the championships this year and nothing about him stood out to me - other than he is tall with a good reach.

In their draft year Andrews 91kg's and Moore 93kg's, Murphy is reported at 85kg's. I dont purport to be a draft expert, but I cant see what the supposed experts see in him. I likened him to Adams in build wise taking years to develop, not on reported abilities.

I saw in todays Twomey and Sheahan phantom draft they didnt have him in the top 20. You might recall Andrews was taken at pick #61 because he was tall and rangy. Some players of that size work out some dont eg Zach Reid at Essendon pick #10 in 2019 and still hasnt secured a permanent game. I simply I dont think he is worth using our 1st pick on, he would be a good 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Grainger-Barras was hocked around this year too. Former pick 6. Similar tall lanky kid.

Talent is talent IMO.

If you have the chance to draft the next Harris Andrews or the next Will Brodie, who are you taking?

I'm not locked in on Murphy at #13 by the way. TBH I'm leaning towards Tholstrup unless there's a slider of note. He reminds me of Zac Bailey in many ways.
I've heard the Zac Bailey comparisons with Tholstrup. I can't see it myself, Bailey is very zippy I haven't seen that with Tholstrup. Tholstrup looks very composed still but he did test top 10 for agility. Good Saints man Tholstrup I have seen today some sort of bonus if we take him.

I wouldn't touch any of the WA kids around our picks TBH.
Murphy a risk but l haven't seen enough to have a strong opinion, but he seems to be competitive and not shy of contact which are 2 big ticks in my book. If his physical testing points to fast twitch muscling then it's a yes from me.

Edwards and Johnston would round out an all Dragons intake which l like too.

I really don't know how we'd get another pick prior to 40, but add Gothard to that list and we'll have made out very very well.
Murphy is rated highly because he has shown he can intercept but also shut down a dangerous key forward. Watch the Allies Vs Vic Metro game when Jed Walters kicks 3 1st qtr goals they move Murphy to him and he shut Walters down for the rest of the game.

Murphy is a natural defender, plays with that desperation to every contest. Will need to develop a frame first though, seems to go to ground a lot like Max King did his first couple years in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Murphy is rated highly because he has shown he can intercept but also shut down a dangerous key forward. Watch the Allies Vs Vic Metro game when Jed Walters kicks 3 1st qtr goals they move Murphy to him and he shut Walters down for the rest of the game.

Murphy is a natural defender, plays with that desperation to every contest. Will need to develop a frame first though, seems to go to ground a lot like Max King did his first couple years in the AFL.
Yeah l wouldn't be unhappy to get him, just a bit dubious about the 1st pick bizzo.
I want Edwards and Visentini, and Cooper Simpson now too.

Apart from the size, body shape, forward-mid role, goal kicking, cameos in the midfield...

Who knows who's in our side in 3 years time... if he gets drafted, plays well and keeps getting better then he's probably a monty to be in someone's best team in 2027.
Probably not a perfect comparison but definitely similar types in many ways.

What I like about him is his competitiveness, very Mitch Owens like in that regard.

He also gets himself in plenty of scoring chains. 37% of his touches in the champs were score involvements. Looks a very good kick inside 50 which I’m sure Max would be happy with.

As an under age player in the 18’s he was a 2 goal a game forward. He would have dominated that comp if he’d have played there all year I’d imagine.

I can see why he’s got a lot of fans.

Last edited:
I’m starting to come around to hardeman. Good overhead for a player of his size, he actually has a similar two Leg leap as membrey, and he’s lightning quick, arches the back and takes the game on. His skills look decent, seems to take some risky kicks that pay off. Reminds me a bit of Darcy wilmot from the lions. I could see him coming in and playing that lockdown small defender role straight away, taking Webster/stockers spot. I’d prefer we take him at our second pick though, and can get a Wilson/Windsor/Leake at our first.

Yeah l wouldn't be unhappy to get him, just a bit dubious about the 1st pick bizzo.
I want Edwards and Visentini, and Cooper Simpson now too.
We have three 3rd round picks next year. Surely they can find a dceent young key defender to develop. We need speed but wont be unhappy if they choose Murphy as long as the following two picks they grab speed

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back