List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

We don't need mids if we have our long term core in place already. Realistically, clubs have a strong trio in at CBAs that they mix and match, with Steele, Crouch, and Ross generally been those 3 for the past few years.

Scud and Mitch would appear to be the two I'd build around moving forward, there is room for one more, and then you add in the Clark's, Windhagers, and the like into the mix.

I actually think we should be thinking FA for that third spot if one bobs up, but we just need quality.
If you look at our list demographic we 100000% need midfielders.

The future isn’t Crouch Steele nor Ross and we just don’t bat deep enough with what we have

We don't need mids if we have our long term core in place already. Realistically, clubs have a strong trio in at CBAs that they mix and match, with Steele, Crouch, and Ross generally been those 3 for the past few years.

Scud and Mitch would appear to be the two I'd build around moving forward, there is room for one more, and then you add in the Clark's, Windhagers, and the like into the mix.

I actually think we should be thinking FA for that third spot if one bobs up, but we just need quality.

We are probably stacked for straight extractors. The more utility types and future replacements for centre mids.

We are probably stacked for straight extractors. The more utility types and future replacements for centre mids.

Yep we need speed and break away midfielders plain and simple. What ever else we do at the draft I hope two of our picks are versatile midfielders.

I hold no concerns with trading out of next years 1st round, if the club have workable plans moving forward. If that means we take 3 x first rounders this year its worth the gamble.

We don't need mids if we have our long term core in place already.

I am glad you said IF

Scud and Mitch would appear to be the two I'd build around moving forward,

The problem is that we do not know if one or both of these players can actually play as full time mids at an elite level.

They both look very good, but it may be that while they may both prove to be exceptional players for us, that as inside mids they may not be guns. So we do not want to be in the position of them both having to become gun mids in order for us to become a good team..

Last edited:
Yep we need speed and break away midfielders plain and simple. What ever else we do at the draft I hope two of our picks are versatile midfielders.

I hold no concerns with trading out of next years 1st round, if the club have workable plans moving forward. If that means we take 3 x first rounders this year its worth the gamble.
As gringo says, we need extractors. Dow is one, speed on the outside, Hill and Henry, would love centre bounce mids, however a one position mid doesn't fly anymore, ask Dunstan or Bytel.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

As gringo says, we need extractors. Dow is one, speed on the outside, Hill and Henry, would love centre bounce mids, however a one position mid doesn't fly anymore, ask Dunstan or Bytel.

It's fine if you are a quality midfielder, the issue with those guys was thet weren't good enough.

Agreed, the beauty with all the mids I mentioned is they can rotate forward, hence they can play forward whilst they develop their games eg Pou & Owens. What a difference that would make if our midfield brigade were also dangerous forward. As far as extractors are concerned we still have Crouch for another couple of years, Steele for sometime, Dow is reasonably young and then Owens & Windhager.

Inside mids are available at every draft and come cheaply trade wise, speed, class and skill you have to pay for. I think we have the inside role covered for the time being.

Seems the players in our range will be Windsor Wilson (both probably gone) Tholstrup, Demattia, Edwards, Collard, Murphy

I am on the Tholstrup wagon just think he is something different amongst a lot of bland prospects has a presence and is physical with enough speed and agility can see him and Mitch causing havoc in the forward line together. Was surprised WA didn’t give him a run in the midfield so suspect any midfield time would be part time will be interesting to see where he settles at AFL but should be entertaining. He was great against SA and gets up the wings as a target, made good decisions competed all the time and defended just as hard on the way out. Just no idea if he is any good at a ball up. Even in the forward line at ball ups or throw ins he was positioned 25m off the contest consistently seems like he would be good at it has the size and power

Demattia looks like a better version of Zac Jones but suspect he ultimately ends up in the backline rather than mid. I still like him and could make a good Webster replacement.

Edwards not enough to go on just a couple of highlight packages which look decent. The profile of a big fast mid sounds perfect but there is a lot of maybes in that. Will leave Toce and SOS to make a more informed decision on him.

Wilson I really like he should be higher on the boards in my opinion if he falls to us I will be amazed has McLuggage vibes to my eye.

Windsor is flavour of the month but I am not sold seems capable but nothing special to me. Pass

Collard was pretty ordinary for most of the Champs but so were WA so not great for a forward pocket the highlights packages make him look like the second coming of Charlie Cameron Will let Toce and team determine if the usual scuttle but of work ethic and go home factor that is about and tends to follow indigenous kids from WA is real or just racist drivel

Murphy not sold on him seems to be sliding in most mock drafts now probably to a more realistic level after Twomey and others start getting more mail from actual recruiters. Am OK at our second that seems about the right value for a KPB that will take at least 2 years to be big enough to play and his biggest asset is his height. He is not a patch on Connor O’Sullivan who I would really want but will be well gone. Just didn’t see him control the backline or anticipate and intercept in any meaningful way.

Some of these kids seem to get talked up by the media way more than their demonstrated talent would seem to suggest they should be. Murphy, Archie Roberts Windsor Croft all seem over rated to me.

Seems the players in our range will be Windsor Wilson (both probably gone) Tholstrup, Demattia, Edwards, Collard, Murphy

I am on the Tholstrup wagon just think he is something different amongst a lot of bland prospects has a presence and is physical with enough speed and agility can see him and Mitch causing havoc in the forward line together. Was surprised WA didn’t give him a run in the midfield so suspect any midfield time would be part time will be interesting to see where he settles at AFL but should be entertaining. He was great against SA and gets up the wings as a target, made good decisions competed all the time and defended just as hard on the way out. Just no idea if he is any good at a ball up. Even in the forward line at ball ups or throw ins he was positioned 25m off the contest consistently seems like he would be good at it has the size and power

Demattia looks like a better version of Zac Jones but suspect he ultimately ends up in the backline rather than mid. I still like him and could make a good Webster replacement.

Edwards not enough to go on just a couple of highlight packages which look decent. The profile of a big fast mid sounds perfect but there is a lot of maybes in that. Will leave Toce and SOS to make a more informed decision on him.

Wilson I really like he should be higher on the boards in my opinion if he falls to us I will be amazed has McLuggage vibes to my eye.

Windsor is flavour of the month but I am not sold seems capable but nothing special to me. Pass

Collard was pretty ordinary for most of the Champs but so were WA so not great for a forward pocket the highlights packages make him look like the second coming of Charlie Cameron Will let Toce and team determine if the usual scuttle but of work ethic and go home factor that is about and tends to follow indigenous kids from WA is real or just racist drivel

Murphy not sold on him seems to be sliding in most mock drafts now probably to a more realistic level after Twomey and others start getting more mail from actual recruiters. Am OK at our second that seems about the right value for a KPB that will take at least 2 years to be big enough to play and his biggest asset is his height. He is not a patch on Connor O’Sullivan who I would really want but will be well gone. Just didn’t see him control the backline or anticipate and intercept in any meaningful way.

Some of these kids seem to get talked up by the media way more than their demonstrated talent would seem to suggest they should be. Murphy, Archie Roberts Windsor Croft all seem over rated to me.
Agree, O’sullivan vs Murphy is like night and day.

To me, the kid must be at good at contest, can beat his direct opponent / win the ball and has a presence; able to control the backline, like Alex Rance.. Murphy is not even close, his only positive attribute is his height unfortunately.

Agree, O’sullivan vs Murphy is like night and day.

To me, the kid must be at good at contest, can beat his direct opponent / win the ball and has a presence; able to control the backline, like Alex Rance.. Murphy is not even close, his only positive attribute is his height unfortunately.

I believe Zane Zakostelsky at our 2nd or Will Dawson late would both be better options than Murphy.

Last edited:

Hardeman will be strongly considered. If they want Sinclair midfield full time then Hardeman decision makes sense to help Nasiah with run from back half.

Or they could address that with Jiath pr Roberts with 2nd pick and take Tholstrup or Collard with first.

Hardeman will be strongly considered. If they want Sinclair midfield full time then Hardeman decision makes sense to help Nasiah with run from back half.

Or they could address that with Jiath pr Roberts with 2nd pick and take Tholstrup or Collard with first.
What's the obsession with the WA trash?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would give up if they were our first two selections.
One of the few positions weren't need are small forwards and HBF'ers

We have nothing anything like Collard. I rate Higgins, but Butler leaves a lot to be desired.

I just don’t understand what tholstrup is or will be. Looks a genuine role player who is hard at the footy, but where does he end up? Is already physically mature, doesn’t have blistering pace, not elite skills and isn’t an accumulator. I’m picturing a beau McCreey type pressure forward (who I do rate) but you can usually get those type of players in a rookie draft, not using a top 15 pick on them. I’d prefer hardeman over him if we are looking at the WA boys. I also think demattia ends up being a lockdown small defender like a Blake Hardwick type (who I also rate) but once again, seems like the type of player you can get in the 3rd and 4th rounds usually. I’m really warming to James Leake but nearly zero chance he makes it to us. If one of Windsor of Wilson somehow get to us we surely take them, after that I have no clear preference, could throw a blanket over edwards, tholstrup, hardeman, collard, demattia, roberts, Cooper Simpson etc

We have nothing anything like Collard. I rate Higgins, but Butler leaves a lot to be desired.
It's funny how things are perceived. I thought Butler was playing higher up than in previous years, and was doing some good things...in a bit of a different role. Kicked over 30 goals, and only 3 or 4 less than Higgins who was still playing the typical small forward role. I had Butler ahead of Higgo by a margin.
I think Higgins is great when switched on, but is otherwise a bit like King, in that he seems to pick and choose his moments, which is bloody frustrating to watch.
Butler, just keeps on keeping on, but is definitely prone to the absolute "mare" of a game. He needs to be a bit more aware of his limitations.
Better to have someone try and occasionally fail though, than stand there like a witches hat, or just be completely unsighted.
Effort is non-negotiable. Butler, I don't think, can be questioned on that.

I feel like the media have talked up the Top 10 of this draft, but it also feels like our pick is falling just outside of some other guys who are clearly above the Tholstrups and Collards of the world (Windsor, Wilson, etc.).

We just need a reach or two from some clubs ahead of us to make an easy decision at that first pick, and luckily Sydney is there who are hard to gauge and typically go against the grain at times.

PMBangers has them choosing Will Green (?) the Northern Knights ruckman at that point and Windsor falls to us...

I feel like the media have talked up the Top 10 of this draft, but it also feels like our pick is falling just outside of some other guys who are clearly above the Tholstrups and Collards of the world (Windsor, Wilson, etc.).

We just need a reach or two from some clubs ahead of us to make an easy decision at that first pick, and luckily Sydney is there who are hard to gauge and typically go against the grain at times.

PMBangers has them choosing Will Green (?) the Northern Knights ruckman at that point and Windsor falls to us...

From a non Swans supporter point of view, Sydney need a few developing young talls.

Hopefully they reach for Murphy, Read, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny how things are perceived. I thought Butler was playing higher up than in previous years, and was doing some good things...in a bit of a different role. Kicked over 30 goals, and only 3 or 4 less than Higgins who was still playing the typical small forward role. I had Butler ahead of Higgo by a margin.
I think Higgins is great when switched on, but is otherwise a bit like King, in that he seems to pick and choose his moments, which is bloody frustrating to watch.
Butler, just keeps on keeping on, but is definitely prone to the absolute "mare" of a game. He needs to be a bit more aware of his limitations.
Better to have someone try and occasionally fail though, than stand there like a witches hat, or just be completely unsighted.

I don't disagree with any of that. It would be good to have another choice to select from.

It’s not long ago both Wilson & Windsor were ranked in the late teens, as was James Leake…which means there must be a couple of sliders.
I’m confident Chris Toce has done his homework & will be well prepared when our picks come up.
A lot’s been said about mids & leg speed but one thing that we also need more of is quality ball use!

Two years in a row that Higgins has largely gone missing after about a third of the season (albeit some excuses for 22). At least Butler shows up and we need that role.

It’s not long ago both Wilson & Windsor were ranked in the late teens, as was James Leake…which means there must be a couple of sliders.
I’m confident Chris Toce has done his homework & will be well prepared when our picks come up.
A lot’s been said about mids & leg speed but one thing that we also need more of is quality ball use!

Here's an early one from July.

Had Wilson at 12, and Windsor at 19. Leake at 20.
So Windsor have performed well and pushed up past Tholstrup , Murphy etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back