List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder what’s changed in 24 hours. Wilson still available at our pick in his updated version and Harry was available at our pick yesterday when he went with Wilson. Interesting. He must know something.
Or he knows nothing about our plans and is throwing darts

13 and 21 seems like BPA

27 seems targeted. Very random spot to come back into. 40 would have come in slightly. 27 comes out to 32 ish.

So we are talking 5ish spots.

Could it be we are really targeting 24 instead of 27? It mentions Brisbane pitching for it but surely we would be pitching for it too.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wonder what’s changed in 24 hours. Wilson still available at our pick in his updated version and Harry was available at our pick yesterday when he went with Wilson. Interesting. He must know something.

He was guessing yesterday todays the late mail

But this seems like the year he will get more wrong than he ever has tbh

Check out Dawson highlights package…I can see a huge upside with that kid, turning 18 next month so another year to get taller, already at 200cm with a good frame to fill out!
I don't hate it...North to Tas and GC to NT makes sense to me anyway.

Since I'm a billion miles away, can someone tell me why we like Wilson more than Edwards? All the posts here seem divided between the two, with a slight negative on Wilson being a bit vanilla. Since the two seem to be a pick apart, why wouldn't we just take Edwards?
Wilson has more strings to his bow, at a guess.

To be honest.

The late mail article contains a lot of different scenario based options.

I can’t see why GWS for example. Would take Leake at 8. When they could trade back and get him.
Yeah, He said as much at the start of the pod. He said it was a close call and he’s gone with a gut feel on DeMattia. The change is probably not any more information. Seems pretty obvious who the two are then that we would like to get (unless it’s not Wilson but Edwards).

I feel like we could trade back and grab him. A “mid” who doesn’t average 20 touches at country or stingrays…

If you can’t accumulate at u/18 level, then you won’t be able to at senior level.

So I’d want to know why he’s not accumulating? Is he playing limited midfield minutes? Does he have question marks over his ability to cover ground and get to multiple contests?

True but when was the last time you read one that said can’t play, can’t kick ?.
They do list all their weaknesses as well as strengths in every player analysis.

I'm yet to see one that say cant play, but to be fair there have been heaps that hae kicking as a weakness.

I'd imagine if they couldn't kick at all though they're probably not worth having a write up for. I'm sure if they did a write up on a few young fellas I coach they'd have it down though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the record. When I asked Barrels earlier today about Hardeman.

It’s because I got a message around that time saying he is someone we liked and we will probably select if there at our second pick (wherever that may be).

Fox footy latest whispers

Latest intel: The Saints are in an awkward spot in the first round where they’ll be waiting to see what happens ahead of them and who’ll slide to their first pick. There’s a good chance Murray Bushrangers star Darcy Wilsonslips to their selection, while Subiacio’s Koltyn Tholstrup would be a wide outside chance to get through. If the Magpies don’t get Lance Collard — and no club trades with Adelaide to move up the order to draft him — the Eagles NGA prospect would be a chance to be taken at St Kilda’s second first-rounder, as would fellow WA prospect Riley Hardeman, Hawks NGA prospect Tew Jiath, Launceston’s Arie Schoenmaker and Murray Bushrangers’ Phoenix Gothard if they’re still on the board. The Saints have also been linked to AFL Academy duo Mitch Edwards (ruck) and Archie Roberts (half-back/midfielder) at this pick.

Best-case scenarios: Score some sliders. One of Koltyn Tholstrup, Darcy Wilson or even James Leake drops to their natural first-rounder. Local Harry DeMattia or WA defender Riley Hardeman then slides to their second pick before a player with good outside run like Joel Freijah or Angus Hastie slips to their first pick.

Worst-case scenario: Tholstrup, Wilson, Leake are all off the board by their first pick, while DeMattia and Hardeman also slip through their fingers. And they can’t find a way to move up the order with their later selections – currently Picks 40, 77, 82 and 86 – at a draft where they could use four to five selections.

Yeah, He said as much at the start of the pod. He said it was a close call and he’s gone with a gut feel on DeMattia. The change is probably not any more information. Seems pretty obvious who the two are then that we would like to get (unless it’s not Wilson but Edwards).
Hadn’t listened to his pod.

I can understand why he might go with DeMattia.

The power. Run and kicking.

But it’s very hard to turn these kids into genuine afl mids if they aren’t already so.

27 is probably going to be pushed out 32ish on the night.

Only 2 picks before it and both are GCs likely to be sucked up.
Isn’t pick #40 going to be about pick #35 after GC/WB redeemed picks? so if we trade for #42, it will be about #37.. unless there’s a player we really want at #32, might as well wait and take 4 picks inside 40

Isn’t pick #40 going to be about pick #35 after GC/WB redeemed picks? so if we trade for #42, it will be about #37.. unless there’s a player we really want at #32, might as well wait and take 4 picks inside 40
We need our 40 and 42 from Melbourne to grab GCs 27

But seeing as you’ll be roughly 5 picks apart if we had held our pick 40.

You would have to assume we are targeting someone.

SOS and the gang are probably taking next years draft into consideration with it said to be a midfielders draft and we dont have a 2nd rounder they may decide to take the best tall defender with our second pick here and get the development started now rather than try land something (KPD) in the 3rd round next year... slim pickings for that type of player. Saying that they did say they would take best available with first two picks.

If we are adding this off-season:

Wilson/DiMattia/Edwards 1st
Cooper Simpson 3rd
Henry
Dow

Thats a good injection of mids with speed that we need. We will grab another good mid in 2024 1st round. So a key defender like Dawson or Murphy might actually happen. We chopped Highmore and Adams so our depth is lacking.

For the record. When I asked Barrels earlier today about Hardeman.

It’s because I got a message around that time saying he is someone we liked and we will probably select if there at our second pick (wherever that may be).

Fox footy latest whispers

Latest intel: The Saints are in an awkward spot in the first round where they’ll be waiting to see what happens ahead of them and who’ll slide to their first pick. There’s a good chance Murray Bushrangers star Darcy Wilsonslips to their selection, while Subiacio’s Koltyn Tholstrup would be a wide outside chance to get through. If the Magpies don’t get Lance Collard — and no club trades with Adelaide to move up the order to draft him — the Eagles NGA prospect would be a chance to be taken at St Kilda’s second first-rounder, as would fellow WA prospect Riley Hardeman, Hawks NGA prospect Tew Jiath, Launceston’s Arie Schoenmaker and Murray Bushrangers’ Phoenix Gothard if they’re still on the board. The Saints have also been linked to AFL Academy duo Mitch Edwards (ruck) and Archie Roberts (half-back/midfielder) at this pick.

Best-case scenarios: Score some sliders. One of Koltyn Tholstrup, Darcy Wilson or even James Leake drops to their natural first-rounder. Local Harry DeMattia or WA defender Riley Hardeman then slides to their second pick before a player with good outside run like Joel Freijah or Angus Hastie slips to their first pick.

Worst-case scenario: Tholstrup, Wilson, Leake are all off the board by their first pick, while DeMattia and Hardeman also slip through their fingers. And they can’t find a way to move up the order with their later selections – currently Picks 40, 77, 82 and 86 – at a draft where they could use four to five selections.

A week ago Tholstrup was going late first at best, suddenly , because Melbourne visit him, h'e sliding if he gets to us.

I feel like we could trade back and grab him. A “mid” who doesn’t average 20 touches at country or stingrays…

The more I watched of this kid the more I liked him. His kicking action is a little awkward but he had decent range and a right boot when he needed it. Given his background maybe they think he has more growth in his game than Wilson. Anyway I guess we’ll find out tomorrow and I still wouldn‘t be surprised if we called Edwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Draft Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Back