List Mgmt. 2023 List Management thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mod notice after Mr Bob did a lot of annoying work in moving days of posts out of here. As we are heading into offseason, this thread is for 2023 list management only. Getting upset on previous trades can be taken to the vent thread. Lets keep this thread on track in the part of the year it's actually relevant

Last edited:
Just concentrating on the (centre clearance) midfield speed (and other characteristics) and taking the top teams at the moment:

Collingwood midfield: Pendlebury (192cm, good kick, average speed) Nick Daicos (184cm, good kick, average speed = 2.98sec 20m sprint) Tom Mitchell (182cm, average kick, average speed) Jack Crisp (190cm, good kick, good speed = telstra top 3 tracker 2019 for Collingwood).

Port midfield: Willem Drew (188cm, good kick, average speed), Jason Horne Francis (185cm, good kick, average speed) Connor Rozee (185cm, good kick, good speed = Top 3 Telstra 2021 fastest player for Port), Ollie Wines (190cm, average kick, average speed)

Brisbane midfield: Lachie Neale (178cm, average kick, average speed), Josh Dunkley (191cm, good kick, average speed), Jaspa Fletcher (183cm, average speed, good kick) Will Ashcroft (182cm, good speed, good kick).

Melbourne midfield: Jack Viney (178cm, average kick, average speed), James Harmes (185cm, average kick, average speed), Kysiah Pickett (171cm, good kick, good speed), Christian Petracca (186cm, good kick, average speed) ( Pickett was named last week but arguably replaced in strongest lineup with *Clayton Oliver 189cm, average kick, average speed).

I would have said Freo centre clearance team atm was predominantly:
Fremantle midfield: Caleb Serong (179cm, average kick, average speed), Andrew Brayshaw (185cm, average kick, average speed), Jaeger O'Meara (183cm, good kick, average speed), Matthew Johnson (192cm, good kick, good speed).

For mine, it is not speed that is the differentiator and nor is it size. It is maybe centre clearance kicking, years' experience and maybe centre clearance strategy.

Might be party running ability. Our team doesn't look like they are very strong at running both ways. Might do, but it doesn't look like it.

I personally believe we have most of the right pieces already, we just have to be patient.
We basically need our 2021 draft class in their fourth year, we'll improve next year, and we should attack 2025 with intent. That's the first year our list will open its window, and it will last for a while.

While we've lost players to retirement/other clubs, we've also lost O'Driscoll, Chapman, and Brodie who are injured or aren't the players they were last season. We've effectively lost 8 players from last season and their replacements aren't ready. Hope we get these three back in form next year.
A bit more experience and level-headedness and IMO we'd have three extra wins at a minimum (North/Rich/StK) and be right in the mix for a top 4 finish.

We're not far off at all.

Think we need to target DGB, to fix our defensive issues. That or go all in
for Sam Taylor in 2026.

Think we need to target DGB, to fix our defensive issues. That or go all in
for Sam Taylor in 2026.
Issues?

Pearce is 28 and Cox 25. Two young KPDs in the background developing.

Whilst I'd support having a crack at Taylor in 2026 (Pearce is probably done by then) I think saying we have issues is an overreaction.

At best I might look towards a mature aged KPD but I'm not sure convincing DGB to come here and sit on the pine can be done. Just needs to be someone with a reasonably strong body and isn't a disaster with ball in hand. I could find such player by looking at whose been delisted the last few years tbh but I'm sure there's a decent 22-24 year old floating around in the state leagues too.

What about Nathan Broad? WA boy goes alright

Just concentrating on the (centre clearance) midfield speed (and other characteristics) and taking the top teams at the moment:

Collingwood midfield: Pendlebury (192cm, good kick, average speed) Nick Daicos (184cm, good kick, average speed = 2.98sec 20m sprint) Tom Mitchell (182cm, average kick, average speed) Jack Crisp (190cm, good kick, good speed = telstra top 3 tracker 2019 for Collingwood).

Port midfield: Willem Drew (188cm, good kick, average speed), Jason Horne Francis (185cm, good kick, average speed) Connor Rozee (185cm, good kick, good speed = Top 3 Telstra 2021 fastest player for Port), Ollie Wines (190cm, average kick, average speed)

Brisbane midfield: Lachie Neale (178cm, average kick, average speed), Josh Dunkley (191cm, good kick, average speed), Jaspa Fletcher (183cm, average speed, good kick) Will Ashcroft (182cm, good speed, good kick).

Melbourne midfield: Jack Viney (178cm, average kick, average speed), James Harmes (185cm, average kick, average speed), Kysiah Pickett (171cm, good kick, good speed), Christian Petracca (186cm, good kick, average speed) ( Pickett was named last week but arguably replaced in strongest lineup with *Clayton Oliver 189cm, average kick, average speed).

I would have said Freo centre clearance team atm was predominantly:
Fremantle midfield: Caleb Serong (179cm, average kick, average speed), Andrew Brayshaw (185cm, average kick, average speed), Jaeger O'Meara (183cm, good kick, average speed), Matthew Johnson (192cm, good kick, good speed).

For mine, it is not speed that is the differentiator and nor is it size. It is maybe centre clearance kicking, years' experience and maybe centre clearance strategy.

I think our midfield depth holds us back. Collingwood have Daicos andde Goey, Port have boak etc to run through, and I don't think we have a lot outside of our initial top 5 or 6.

Horne Francis is an absolutely beast, Rozzee is so clean, quick and agile that he is a tough match up. Daicos is clean, quick, agile, super skillful and always moving.

Brayshaw, Serong and Omeara are very similar. No particular skillful, not particularly quick, and not particularly agile either. (still very good players)
Ideally, you would surround them a line breaking winger or two, and a quick or big mids.

Having Daicos or Dawson on the back flank, or de Goey on the forward flank who you can through into the midfield would be a massive luxury and this is why we need to try players like Young, Chapman, Switta in the midfield because otherwise we are too one dimensional (which I think we are at the moment).

This also allows us to maybe play one more forward, as a number of forwards and backs can play in the midfield.

Does Henry help with this, or is he too similar to Serong and Brayshaw?

Last edited:
I am not sure we have picked correctly.

Brodie 4 years, OMeara 4 years, Fyfe 3 years, Walters 3 years all look iffy at the moment.
I'm not sure including this year is the way to look at it but still, if Brodie is on not much then he's as good a depth as anyone for 4 years with potential to get his spot back. JOM is fine. Walters is out best small forward still.

Fyfe probably should have been a trigger for the extra year but when we dont have anyone else bar like him and Walters over 30 it's not the worst

I think our midfield depth holds us back. Collingwood have Daicos andde Goey, Port have boak etc to run through, and I don't think we have a lot outside of our initial top 5 or 6.

Horne Francis is an absolutely beast, Rozzee is so clean, quick and agile that he is a tough match up. Daicos is clean, quick, agile, super skillful and always moving.

Brayshaw, Serong and Omeara are very similar. No particular skillful, not particularly quick, and not particularly agile either. (still very good players)
Ideally, you would surround them a line breaking winger or two, and a quick or big mids.

Having Daicos or Dawson on the back flank, or de Goey on the forward flank who you can through into the midfield would be a massive luxury and this is why we need to try players like Young, Chapman, Switta in the midfield because otherwise we are too one dimensional (which I think we are at the moment).

This also allows us to maybe play one more forward, as a number of forwards and backs can play in the midfield.
yeah need to start introducing some of these guys into the mix, they can be the X factor.

some of the most damaging players as of late are those half backs/forwards who move into the midfield, Sinclair, Dawsons at all full time now, Daicos of course, taken a few years but Rozee and Butters are now pretty much permanent mids and are better for it, Taranto was often put forward at the giants

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure including this year is the way to look at it but still, if Brodie is on not much then he's as good a depth as anyone for 4 years with potential to get his spot back. JOM is fine. Walters is out best small forward still.

Fyfe probably should have been a trigger for the extra year but when we dont have anyone else bar like him and Walters over 30 it's not the worst
I thought Brodie should have been two years with a trigger.
Walters is playing great, but that could stop any time. 1 with a trigger, or just 1 would have been fine.
Fyfe - Just one.

OMeara - he has messed up our midfield balance, and his body is shot. 3 years, plus a trigger deal for 1 year would have been good.

Swans use contract triggers very well, I don't think we use them very often, and it protects the club a lot.

Sean Darcy should be next one to sign to the end of the decade.

Okay... Let's say Dogs want Henry and Freo want Naughton.

Fremantle says Henry is a #9 draft pick who can rack up 30 touches on the wing, ready to go AFL player now - we want a first round pick for that.

Dogs say Naughton is a potential coleman medalist with most of his career ahead of him and under contract - we want two first round picks.

Does including Henry in that trade as valued at a first round pick make it any better?

Naughton for Henry, 2024 1st and 2023 2nd or 3rd (whatever Treacy ends up being traded for because there's no way he stays if Naughton comes over)?

A lot to invest in two players over two seasons.

Okay... Let's say Dogs want Henry and Freo want Naughton.

Fremantle says Henry is a #9 draft pick who can rack up 30 touches on the wing, ready to go AFL player now - we want a first round pick for that.

Dogs say Naughton is a potential coleman medalist with most of his career ahead of him and under contract - we want two first round picks.

Does including Henry in that trade as valued at a first round pick make it any better?

Naughton for Henry, 2024 1st and 2023 2nd or 3rd (whatever Treacy ends up being traded for because there's no way he stays if Naughton comes over)?

A lot to invest in two players over two seasons.
Keep Treacy and the draft capital we get for Henry.

We need the picks.

I am not sure we have picked correctly.

Brodie 4 years, OMeara 4 years, Fyfe 3 years, Walters 3 years all look iffy at the moment.
I think Brodie should be taken out of the equation given his recruitment netted us the crucial Johnson pick. I'd wear that Brodie extra couple of years extension as a result.

Treacy's marking has improved as the year has rolled on, it'll only get better.

Once he get's his kicking back to where it was year 1 and we'll all be like "Aaron who?"

Signing Treacy is the moneyball move here, without a doubt. Spend the worse of the Dog's first round picks on a zippy small forward in this draft and play Brayshaw on the wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back