List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All possibly true, but Cripps wont take the cut.

The cut and discussion should be had with Zac Williams and the horrible deal we have their for a guy that never plays, and then when he does, has questionable performances. He is the man that should have the Daisy Thomas moment...

Is it time to ask the question on Austin / Lloyd deal making abilities now?

Sos left a war chest despite questionable money recruiting at trade table and a few unsuccesful high picks.

Salary cap pressure now, is on Austin era

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk
You know that's not possible, right? FA signing.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Club needs to talk to Cripps. We ****ed up giving him the big contract (assuming it’s ~800k). He should be asked to accept a salary reduction down to ~400k-500k. He is not worth too much more than this. He should also be stripped of his captaincy. Just focus on being a good team player. Give captaincy to weiters.
What nonsense.

If the club has decided they can't play Cripps & Kennedy in the same midfield then surely Kennedy will be shopped around at the end of the year.

Far better players have been moved on for the same reason. Josh Kennedy couldn't play alongside Sam Mitchell, and then later Tom Mitchell couldn't fit in alongside Josh Kennedy.

SOS May go down as one of the worst recruiter of talent in history for the picks at his disposal (GWS doesn't count it was shooting fish in a barrel) but gee he can use and manage the salary cap .. would of been I tersting is SOS got chance to use the chest he had built up and added to fringes - guess now we will never know ..
Cerra Saad Williams hewitt acres are Austin's picks wonder who SOS would have bought ..

SOS did get the chance to use the chest, he was boss when we targeted Shiel on huge $$$$ and Cognilio on a huge contract.

Both would have been bad, Cogs especially, SOS also by all reports and posting here had one of our 1sts in 2015 on the table for Tomlinson.

I think luck has played a big part here, SOS tenure could have been a lot worse

Delist Cunningham and Martin this year

Zac Williams is a tricky one. Still a while to go on contract and injury prone. Not going to take a pay cut. Probably little trade value. What can club do?
We can’t do anything now but you would think the club would learn not to hand out ridiculously long contracts especially to injury prone players who turn up fat and unfit but we haven’t.

Even fringe or easily replaceable players like Young and pittonett get rewarded with 3 and 4 year extensions.

Club needs to talk to Cripps. We ****ed up giving him the big contract (assuming it’s ~800k). He should be asked to accept a salary reduction down to ~400k-500k. He is not worth too much more than this. He should also be stripped of his captaincy. Just focus on being a good team player. Give captaincy to weiters.

Another introvert leading the club??

Give it to Charlie and let’s see if we change the robot mentality!

If the club has decided they can't play Cripps & Kennedy in the same midfield then surely Kennedy will be shopped around at the end of the year.

Far better players have been moved on for the same reason. Josh Kennedy couldn't play alongside Sam Mitchell, and then later Tom Mitchell couldn't fit in alongside Josh Kennedy.

Kennedy has been playing good football when given a decent run in the midfield.

Repurpose Hewett to a back pocket, Cripps to a faux CHF, Walsh to a wing. Change it up a bit. We are too one dimensional through midfield.

We will regret losing best 22 players from an already shallow list otherwise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another introvert leading the club??

Give it to Charlie and let’s see if we change the robot mentality!
Charlie is our best player by a long way but im not sure he is the type to captain. Could be wrong but he comes across a bit quiet on field. I don't see him instructing others. Weiters is/can be vocal. Probably not in a good state atm with the scamming issue. But he'll get over that sooner or later.

Tell me why it’s nonsense.
Ok respectfully, you are referring to the captain of the club who was winning Brownlows 6mths ago and was arguably touted as the best player in the comp. All of a sudden, off the back of some "poor" form (I'll come back to this), people want to trade him, halve his salary etc. That's why to me its nonsense. The bloke bleeds Navy Blue and is more than likely busting his ass trying to help turn our fortunes around. I think we need to maintain some perspective here. Regarding his form, apart from goals, statically his averages are very similar to last year (see below)

A bit harsh there AG. We're talking about the current BM, out best midfielder who's still leading the clearances (albeit with limited effectiveness). As captain he has carried the team in the past and while it looks like he may not have that level of intensity, the bloke can only do it so often for so long. Get the right runners around him to deliver effectively and the conversation changes. There is a case for a change in captaincy, it's part of an evolving leadership structure, however halving his pay won't happen.

Zac Williams is a tricky one. Still a while to go on contract and injury prone. Not going to take a pay cut. Probably little trade value. What can club do?
Is de-list and re-rookie where part of the salary is excluded from the cap still a thing?

Ok respectfully, you are referring to the captain of the club who was winning Brownlows 6mths ago and was arguably touted as the best player in the comp. All of a sudden, off the back of some "poor" form (I'll come back to this), people want to trade him, halve his salary etc. That's why to me its nonsense. The bloke bleeds Navy Blue and is more than likely busting his ass trying to help turn our fortunes around. I think we need to maintain some perspective here. Regarding his form, apart from goals, statically his averages are very similar to last year (see below)

I know he bleeds blue and he wants blues to succeed like no other. That is clear to see and I admire him for that. Puts his body on the line and he hates losing.

The game is quickly changing. Fast footy is the go and we are playing a style of footy that relies too much on cripps main advantage which is contested poss. And this isnt working clearly.

We need fast strong mids who can also kick goals and to leading forwards. Look at the youngish crows mids who are tearing it apart. Cerra and walsh aside none of our mids are capable of this. Kennedy is a very good kick but is slow like cripps.

Paying Cripps $800-900k doesnt leave much to rectify your mid group.

Any player taken at 60, 70 or 80 that’s body can hold up to the demands of AFL football is way better than someone’s who can’t

Agree with that, and sadly we also need to cut Marchbank loose.

List spots are too valuable these days to afford players who whilst have a lot of talent, have had totally rotten and horrible luck with injuries.

Would be happy to keep those two lads around for our VFL team, but sadly we need to free up list spots for players who can get onto the field.

we have been very bold in signing certain players to long term deals. Some of whom are either injury prone or play roles that will likely shorten their careers or effectiveness. Genius or insanity? I am bit worried it’s tilted towards the latter but let’s see which required players we lose at year end because of salary cap pressures. And we have very few draft picks this November. I don't think we should be in this position given there is still a lot of work to do with our list in order to become contenders.

Last edited:

Unfortunately think we’re lumped with Martin for another year given he’s contracted. I’d float him to other clubs but would be surprised if anyone bites. Club really needs to look at the length of contracts we’ve handed out, especially to players from other clubs. The contracts of McGovern, Martin and Williams haven’t been value for money.

Cunners I agree is gone unless by some miracle he is able to get back on the park and establish himself in the seniors to close out the season.

Philp will go too.

Marchbank has the same equation as Cunners but looks potentially in a better position to establish himself in the seniors. Also has the benefit that McGovern may leave. Personally I wouldn’t move forward with him at this stage as we’ve been burned by the same injury prone types year on year for a long time.

SOS May go down as one of the worst recruiter of talent in history for the picks at his disposal (GWS doesn't count it was shooting fish in a barrel) but gee he can use and manage the salary cap .. would of been I tersting is SOS got chance to use the chest he had built up and added to fringes - guess now we will never know ..
Cerra Saad Williams hewitt acres are Austin's picks wonder who SOS would have bought ..
SOS was effectively moving on veterans for draft picks and he was gone before some of them were due for new terms, it wasn't some masterstroke that we ended up with room to move IMO.
The question I have regarding Austin is over the allocation of assets to secure 2x hbf (Williams & Saad), neither are bad recruits in isolation but we had greater needs.

I can understand wanting much of the above but to demote Cripps for essentially poor performance & then promote Weitering in his place seems counterintuitive.

Kennedy has been playing good football when given a decent run in the midfield.

Repurpose Hewett to a back pocket, Cripps to a faux CHF, Walsh to a wing. Change it up a bit. We are too one dimensional through midfield.

We will regret losing best 22 players from an already shallow list otherwise.
He's hypothetically best 22, but he's the wrong piece of the puzzle in this Carlton team. Happens all the time. Need to put the team before the individual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back