List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The deadline to free up a spot has passed. We won't be having a pick in the MSD. And the MSD is tonight, so dropping another spot this week won't help :)

Final draft order here:

From 7.00PM tonight ...

FxbdHeoaMAAIAkO

1. You wouldn't trade McKay. If we decide he is not going to make it as a forward, you probably have an AA quality CHB there to partner Weitering and we do have a spot available at CHB. But his form as a forward can be fixed, I don't think we are using him well.

2. Trade wise, I don't think there is a spot for Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett in our team and it's silly to expect one of them to play as the sub or in the reserves. There's your trade right there. I'm not sure which player you trade, that depends on a few things.

Dow will be a trade and I think another club will get him to work quite well at AFL level. O'Brien will be traded for very little. McGovern maybe traded. Marchbank may take a trade. Plowman may have a taker. Those two probably get delisted if there is no taker.

Martin will probably be offered for trade but probably get no interest. He's Contracted so probably remains on the list.

Young, if it meant we get something coming back the other way as an upgrade is a trade option.

Newman is a player if clubs really wanted him I'd let him go. Probably no interest but I can see guys like Kemp going past him next season.

Trade Fisher for the right price.

Delisted will be Fogarty, Cuningham, Mirkov, O'Keefe, Akuei, Honey and Philp. Some of these guys will probably be offered VFL list spots as it's been injury and not ability that has seen them fail. Akuei may make it but it's going to take a long long time.

Tom DeKoning will either be traded or we will find a way to retain him as others go out. The issue with him is that he is our second ruckman and has not been able to play as a forward.

List wise there are too many players who can't or wont ever play AFL.

3. Our list actually has enough players taken at the top end of the draft. Key position players and key onballers we are ok with. The types of players you get later on in the draft, the outside runners, back flanks, small forwards, rucks. You can find them later in the draft so having extra list spots and draft picks after round 2 is going to be important to us.

You look at trades like Collingwood getting Bobby Hill. He's best 22, most likely a premiership player this year and would fit into our side perfectly. They got him and pick 40 for pick 43 and future second rounder. That sort of thing is what we need to be looking for.

Maybe go for a quick inside mid with pick 1 if none available then a top line small forward. Look to get in as many 3 round picks as possible and use them to get smaller quicker players who can plan forward and half back. Good kicks, good runners. Keep an eye out for a mature age ruck and if one pops up a young ruckman.

I can see us opening up around 8 list spots (more if we can get the trades). 3 or 4 trade ins, young quick guys from other clubs and 4 or more from the draft. One mature ruckman VFL or AFL. One young ruckman who can take an overhead mark, preferably forward/ruck but more ruck. A mix of drafted and traded in small forwards/HFFs with pace and pressure traits. A fast inside mid with a good kick and footy IQ (receives handballs and uncontested marks). one or two key position players. Third tall/medium forward.
I'll bite.

I agree, you can't get rid of McKay. Given a technique, he'll be a matchwinner. One does not lose skill, they lose form and confidence.

Keep Cuningham, he'll be cheap and better than pick 60/70/80/90. The rest, yes, delist.

Keep Newman - he's far from our worst.

From earlier in the thread, someone posted that Weiters and Young don't get along. Don't need to to play together, get over it. You're not 8 years of age. Move on.

Fisher, I agree. WA boy, trade him back there for a whatever rounder. He's really done zero in his time at Carlton. I like the kid but he's been around how long and not delivered. I'd prefer a fit Martin over Fish. Knowing that that will hardly ever happen!

I'll bite.

I agree, you can't get rid of McKay. Given a technique, he'll be a matchwinner. One does not lose skill, they lose form and confidence.

Keep Cuningham, he'll be cheap and better than pick 60/70/80/90. The rest, yes, delist.

Keep Newman - he's far from our worst.

From earlier in the thread, someone posted that Weiters and Young don't get along. Don't need to to play together, get over it. You're not 8 years of age. Move on.

Fisher, I agree. WA boy, trade him back there for a whatever rounder. He's really done zero in his time at Carlton. I like the kid but he's been around how long and not delivered. I'd prefer a fit Martin over Fish. Knowing that that will hardly ever happen!

When McKay was in his first season he was a nice kick for goal. Whatever is wrong he can fix. If not we have an AA CHB which is just as good if not better for us.

Cuningham, only if he can get through the rest of the season. If he's injured again he has to go. A list spot is more valuable than an injured Cuningham.

What we need to do is delist these injury prone players, get them onto our VFL list and keep some picks for the midseason draft. If they can stay fit they come back on the list then. Or we delist them and they train with us and if they get through we sign them later on.

Cuningham has been injured for a good number of years now and continues to fail in his attempts to return. He wasn't that flash of a player to begin with. It's on potential and our horrible lack of pace that we want to have another look at him.

You have to trade some good players. Newman is older but not old. There are players who are coming through who could take his spot like Kemp. You trade him because you can afford to lose him and he's worth something, not because he is a bad player, he's a good player.

Yeah that's footy, you wont get along with everyone. Weitering strikes me as being a well groomed and mannered person who could be immature in this way and not really a good leader, just a good footballer but I don't know the guy so who really knows.

Fisher has loads of talent but there is no place in the modern game for someone who won't chase and tackle. Martin similar boat, loads of talent but hardly plays any footy.

We could be developing youth or holding depth players in these list spots taken up by the always injured and always out of form players.

The deadline to free up a spot has passed. We won't be having a pick in the MSD. And the MSD is tonight, so dropping another spot this week won't help :)

Final draft order here:

I would’ve put Hollands on and had a free swing.

Really like the look of James Trezise.

A mid season draft pick would have been really handy. Reckon we might have given that spot to Ned Cahill.

Is there a rule that says it has to be season ending.

8 weeks used to be plenty. And I guarantee we’ll get another between now and then.
Believe this is still current (from Dec 2021):

AFL club eligibility for the SSP and MSRD

A club is eligible to select a Rookie Player during the SSP or MSRD as follows:

• If a club has a rookie list spot available
  • If a player suffers a year-ending injury or retires, the player can be placed on the Inactive List and be replaced by an SSP or Mid-Season Draft Rookie Player.

We talk about the LTI a bit, but it's really the Inactive List that is relevant for the MSD.

Is there a rule that says it has to be season ending.

8 weeks used to be plenty. And I guarantee we’ll get another between now and then.
Yeah, pretty much as Bletch posted below.

The 8 week rule from memory was elevating rookies onto the senior list.

That would have gone out the window when the rookie list was basically blended into the senior list. Now there are no restrictions on playing rookies.

• If a player suffers a year-ending injury or retires, the player can be placed on the Inactive List and be replaced by an SSP or Mid-Season Draft Rookie Player.

We talk about the LTI a bit, but it's really the Inactive List that is relevant for the MSD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let McGovern go and trade in Bergman from Port Adelaide. He's a vic boy.

Doubt Port would do that.

We wouldn't get anything more than a late 3rd round pick for McGovern, so I am inclined for us to keep him (on a massively reduced and performance incentive contract of course)

Doubt Port would do that.

We wouldn't get anything more than a late 3rd round pick for McGovern, so I am inclined for us to keep him (on a massively reduced and performance incentive contract of course)
If he chooses to come back to Vic tough luck to PA. OOC right?

I doubt he would pick us (Bergman) and he doesn't really feel a need for us. Also he is not a great kick of the footy either.
I flagged him a few weeks back but I’d stay away now. Just realised all of ports defenders are looking good because of the pressure up field. When forced to defend they are pretty average.

Club needs to talk to Cripps. We ****ed up giving him the big contract (assuming it’s ~800k). He should be asked to accept a salary reduction down to ~400k-500k. He is not worth too much more than this. He should also be stripped of his captaincy. Just focus on being a good team player. Give captaincy to weiters.
All possibly true, but Cripps wont take the cut.

The cut and discussion should be had with Zac Williams and the horrible deal we have their for a guy that never plays, and then when he does, has questionable performances. He is the man that should have the Daisy Thomas moment...

Is it time to ask the question on Austin / Lloyd deal making abilities now?

Sos left a war chest despite questionable money recruiting at trade table and a few unsuccesful high picks.

Salary cap pressure now, is on Austin era

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

The cut and discussion should be had with Zac Williams and the horrible deal we have their for a guy that never plays, and then when he does, has questionable performances. He is the man that should have the Daisy Thomas moment...

Sos left a war chest despite questionable money recruiting at trade table and a few unsuccesful high picks.

SOS May go down as one of the worst recruiter of talent in history for the picks at his disposal (GWS doesn't count it was shooting fish in a barrel) but gee he can use and manage the salary cap .. would of been I tersting is SOS got chance to use the chest he had built up and added to fringes - guess now we will never know ..
Cerra Saad Williams hewitt acres are Austin's picks wonder who SOS would have bought ..

Taking a cut wont happen. He is not worth what he is getting based on the modern fast pace footy. He is slow physically and in mind to be involved in any chains of medium to fast ball movement. His one wood is his strength and that is good for mauling for the ball and tackling when oppo in close range. If oppo is 2-3 steps away he’s got no chance and he knows that and he often stops the chase. Dawson is miles better than Cripps and he is reported to be on ~$650k. For the salary Cripps is getting we should be able to do much better. Heeney who isn’t a full time mid rang rings around him in last game. It’s because he is slow. Faster players just push off him and Cripps can’t keep up.

At this stage I’d take captaincy off him and work on a plan to make him more impactful for the team. He’s got to change the mindset that he is a super hero. He’s not. Just do your bit and allow others to do theirs.

I agree on Zac Williams. Turning out to be another disaster…just like Martin.

And... why should he?

Thanks Bletch. Good to know.

Williams can’t take a cut. I think the lists Austin and SOS had are apples and Oranges so it’s too hard to compare. SOS had a list expected to finish bottom 6, Austin top 6. One is always going to spend more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back