List Mgmt. 2023 List Management

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Id be happy to see Kennedy take the Cripps role in midfield and move Cripps up forward as a third tall, a 90/10 forward midfield split.

Great then we would have another forward who is unreliable from a set shot.. Cripps has never been good playing as a forward.. I think Kennedy has the ability to play as the medium forward, and unlike the others is a fairly accurate shot at goal.

If Cripps is disgruntled and would like to move, a top 10 pick in the 2023 cohort wound be a good return, my favorites are Watson, Dursma, Caddy, Lorenz all sparkling talents with a decade of exciting footy ahead of them.

The only way Cripps would be disgruntled is if he is chasing a flag, and any team in the flag hunt wont have a top 10 pick to give, they also wont have $950k room in their salary cap.

I politely disagree.

He just doesn't work hard enough or get enough of the ball, and we should back our younger, more dedicated and hard working small forwards we have now (even if sometimes they struggle which they have been lately, at least they apply themselves and keep chasing and tackling etc)
If you think our 'younger, more dedicated and hard working small forwards....apply themselves and keep chasing and tackling', you obviously don't look hard enough or attend games.

I was at the Saints game earlier this year, and have never seen more pathetic lack of chase and run than I saw from Motlop and Fisher up forward - with their opponents just running off them all game and setting up goals with their attacking run off half back. Wanganeen-Milera was on Motlop - do I need to say any more?

Fisher now finds himself in the VFL, and Motlop hanging on by a thread. He's young and no doubt got immense talent, which is keeping him in the side - but needs to learn fairly quickly that talent only gets you so far in the AFL. Durdin is horribly out of form, but he is one that you can never question his work ethic. Owies tries hard and tackles when the ball is in his vicinity, but is too slow to get to enough contests - and definitely not 'younger'.

Martin easily in the best 22 when he's firing - but of course, this seems to be a pipedream. But it's a glaring deficiency in our current list that we desperately need to address.

Ah okay, happy to concede that you were right and I was wrong :)

Still rate JH-F very highly though and Port will have no regrets what they gave up for him (which quite possibly could be unders)

Horne-Francis is an interesting cat, but no doubt has a winning mentality/strong desire to win, which I wish most of our players had ...

I think he’s great, but the three guys Adelaide got are all fantastic.

Great then we would have another forward who is unreliable from a set shot.. Cripps has never been good playing as a forward.. I think Kennedy has the ability to play as the medium forward, and unlike the others is a fairly accurate shot at goal.
One of our biggest problems: Forward pressure lets opposition back men run the ball out too easily.
There’s a reason JSOS, Kennedy, Cripps, Cerra,Hewitt, Walsh fail as forwards in the modern game primarily because they cannot keep up with speedy transition ball movement required to be defensively effective in that role.

One of our biggest problems: Forward pressure lets opposition back men run the ball out too easily.
There’s a reason JSOS, Kennedy, Cripps, Cerra,Hewitt, Walsh fail as forwards in the modern game primarily because they cannot keep up with speedy transition ball movement required to be defensively effective in that role.
It's one of our glaring weaknesses.
Forward pressure appears to have been an afterthought at times this year.
Jsos tries hard bit he's slow & susceptible to getting burned the other way.
Fisher has an aversion to contact and tries to take the ball off hands rather than bodylining the man/ball.
Motlop has some potential in this space but he presently picks & chooses when to put in.
It's any wonder we're unable to prevent overlap run & create f50 stoppages or repeat entries to create opportunities to score..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Martin will have a good 2024,
because he’s out of contract…
We’ve got to hope this is right but plan as if it won’t be. Draft or trade in a medium sized forward who is a threat to kick goals. It’s a glaring weakness on our list. Can’t see a club taking Martin off our hands for nothing and we need the draft capital so a salary dump where we hand over a pick doesn’t interest me.

We’ve got to hope this is right but plan as if it won’t be. Draft or trade in a medium sized forward who is a threat to kick goals. It’s a glaring weakness on our list. Can’t see a club taking Martin off our hands for nothing and we need the draft capital so a salary dump where we hand over a pick doesn’t interest me.
I really wanted us to get Philipou last draft time.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes, many criticisms of the current group of being too introverted/nice was the same stuff levelled at the group 10 years ago. Though that sides small achievements (at least playing and winning finals) dwarf those of the current crop.

Our 2011 side would run rings around this current mob.
Yes it was. The 2011 side also had a lot of holes, the key position players were pretty poor and the midfield depth wasn't that good. I know it was said that it was too introverted but I don't think it was overly an issue. The current side, definitely.

Our 2011 side would run rings around the current side in 2023. It was a very outside team and is actually better suited to how football is being played now than how it was being played then so it probably depends whether that match was played now or played then. Our current side with the old rules would be a lot lot better than it is now and would likely be able to turn the game into a defensive and congested maul against our 2011 side which it could not handle at all and beat them that way.

Our current side has more potential to improve and win a premiership and than the 2011 side which peaked without any decent key position players and a midfield that was a tad too shallow. The bones are there in the current side. It's a lot easier and cheaper to add flankers and pockets than it is to add CHF, FF, FB, CHB, extra quality onballer etc. So there is still plenty of hope and upside for our current side IMO.

5pm deadline today for any changes to list prior to MSD. Currently, we do not have a pick. If we make a change (player on to LTI list, or retirement), we'll have pick 6. Seems unlikely at this stage.
Let’s just pretend that we are up to team announcement deadline. Surely there’s an injury out of the box we can put on the LTI list.

5pm deadline today for any changes to list prior to MSD. Currently, we do not have a pick. If we make a change (player on to LTI list, or retirement), we'll have pick 6. Seems unlikely at this stage.
Maybe we’re waiting to drop another spot this week in order to get a higher pick lol

I'm more concerned about players being 'on again, off again' than I am about having one or two on the LTI list. The former might tease us with a little bit of form when they actually play but they prevent the side from developing any continuity. Forget putting them on a reduced salary, trade or de-list them as soon as we get the opportunity.

1. You wouldn't trade McKay. If we decide he is not going to make it as a forward, you probably have an AA quality CHB there to partner Weitering and we do have a spot available at CHB. But his form as a forward can be fixed, I don't think we are using him well.

2. Trade wise, I don't think there is a spot for Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett in our team and it's silly to expect one of them to play as the sub or in the reserves. There's your trade right there. I'm not sure which player you trade, that depends on a few things.

Dow will be a trade and I think another club will get him to work quite well at AFL level. O'Brien will be traded for very little. McGovern maybe traded. Marchbank may take a trade. Plowman may have a taker. Those two probably get delisted if there is no taker.

Martin will probably be offered for trade but probably get no interest. He's Contracted so probably remains on the list.

Young, if it meant we get something coming back the other way as an upgrade is a trade option.

Newman is a player if clubs really wanted him I'd let him go. Probably no interest but I can see guys like Kemp going past him next season.

Trade Fisher for the right price.

Delisted will be Fogarty, Cuningham, Mirkov, O'Keefe, Akuei, Honey and Philp. Some of these guys will probably be offered VFL list spots as it's been injury and not ability that has seen them fail. Akuei may make it but it's going to take a long long time.

Tom DeKoning will either be traded or we will find a way to retain him as others go out. The issue with him is that he is our second ruckman and has not been able to play as a forward.

List wise there are too many players who can't or wont ever play AFL.

3. Our list actually has enough players taken at the top end of the draft. Key position players and key onballers we are ok with. The types of players you get later on in the draft, the outside runners, back flanks, small forwards, rucks. You can find them later in the draft so having extra list spots and draft picks after round 2 is going to be important to us.

You look at trades like Collingwood getting Bobby Hill. He's best 22, most likely a premiership player this year and would fit into our side perfectly. They got him and pick 40 for pick 43 and future second rounder. That sort of thing is what we need to be looking for.

Maybe go for a quick inside mid with pick 1 if none available then a top line small forward. Look to get in as many 3 round picks as possible and use them to get smaller quicker players who can plan forward and half back. Good kicks, good runners. Keep an eye out for a mature age ruck and if one pops up a young ruckman.

I can see us opening up around 8 list spots (more if we can get the trades). 3 or 4 trade ins, young quick guys from other clubs and 4 or more from the draft. One mature ruckman VFL or AFL. One young ruckman who can take an overhead mark, preferably forward/ruck but more ruck. A mix of drafted and traded in small forwards/HFFs with pace and pressure traits. A fast inside mid with a good kick and footy IQ (receives handballs and uncontested marks). one or two key position players. Third tall/medium forward.

Let’s just pretend that we are up to team announcement deadline. Surely there’s an injury out of the box we can put on the LTI list.

Maybe we’re waiting to drop another spot this week in order to get a higher pick lol

The deadline to free up a spot has passed. We won't be having a pick in the MSD. And the MSD is tonight, so dropping another spot this week won't help :)

Final draft order here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back