Preview 2023 Rd 10 Carlton vs Collingwood Sunday May 21 3:20PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in ...

IN: Jordan Boyd

OUT: Alex Cincotta

SUB: Hewett

Ed Curnow has been elevated to the starting 22, while George Hewett has been confirmed as starting sub.

Backs:Sam DochertyLewis YoungNic Newman
Half-backs:Mitch McGovernJacob WeiteringAdam Saad
Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsOliver Hollands
Half-forwards:Ed CurnowHarry McKayJack Silvagni
Forwards:Corey DurdinCharlie CurnowJesse Motlop
Followers:Marc PittonetAdam CerraSam Walsh
Interchange:Jordan BoydMatthew CottrellMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies
Sub:George Hewett
Emergencies:Alex CincottaTom De KoningZac Fisher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the go with Kennedy, fellas? IMO he's one of your best inside midfielders.

Thinking about trading him in to my fantasy team this week (for Hewett, who has absolutely burnt me and looks slow and unfit)

Our midfield as a whole is struggling to click so I think Kennedy is a gamble for Fantasy team too.

Only because Voss is currently trying out our mids in different positions e.g Cerra/Kennedy half back. I don't mind Voss seeing who is capable as a utility but it hurts for Supercoach/Fantasy team players.

Good balance there. Wouldn't mind throwing Gov up forward for a spell to mix things up.

We really need to pull the trigger on play Gov forward, even it that means Jsos plays back

Or, big if, Marchbank could stay on the park 2nd half of the season

Ash Johnson & Ginnivan in doubt ...

COLLINGWOOD forwards Jack Ginnivan and Ash Johnson are in doubt for Sunday's blockbuster against Carlton after missing training on Friday due to the flu, while Darcy Cameron's return is yet to be locked in.

The Magpies have a strict policy to try to prevent illness infecting the wider group, after flu swept through the Magpies at times last year, just like many clubs across the competition.

Walsh is a star, he can play wherever he wants… cottrell yes but you have to remember he’s come back from a long lay off. I don’t know why you’ve mentioned doc either. Apart from cotters there’s literally no one who’s putting their hand up to play in that rotation.

Anyways I’m just pointing out that he’s best 26 because hes not competing with much in that position of the ground. A lot of players haven’t fired a shot there.. to the point we have to play Doch in that position at times.
Fair enough all good 👍

Our forward line is and has been problematic & dysfunctional across the board for a while now, at times a complete mess for a number of reasons…

Fair enough all good 👍

Our forward line is and has been problematic & dysfunctional across the board for a while now, at times a complete mess for a number of reasons…
We’ve never had a senior decent forward able to teach our young key forwards the ropes, they’ve had to learn on the fly. He’s d be offering Tomahawk an assistant coaching role for 24 now.

why do we play 7 defenders or need 7 defenders .. is it because we are ultra defensive becaue I hear it here all the time in here but Collingwood has daicos at half back and he doesn’t defend. Then we have cotrell and hewett and curnow defending.. which players are actually attacking

We really need to pull the trigger on play Gov forward, even it that means Jsos plays back

Or, big if, Marchbank could stay on the park 2nd half of the season

Guessing you aren't buying into the "Gov is playing within himself" narrative?

I'm worried about him playing forward if he is dealing with anxiety about possible injuries. Other than that I think SoS out, Mcgov forward and Marchbank sounds great in theory st least.

I hope Marchbank comes around but it's such a big if.
We live in hope though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

why do we play 7 defenders or need 7 defenders .. is it because we are ultra defensive becaue I hear it here all the time in here but Collingwood has daicos at half back and he doesn’t defend. Then we have cotrell and hewett and curnow defending.. which players are actually attacking

Team lineups currently have Daicos listed as a half forward for starters.

I think a defender should be tagging him throughout the match and for any position changes. Docherty would be a good fit for the role I think.

So Gov who was maligned as a forward for years is now our forward saviour??

Saviour ?

I think Mcgov could offer more than SoS as a third tall. It's just fun theory crafting at the end of the day.

Could have the best "theoretical" team run out and still lose badly at the end of the day and vice-versa.

What's the go with Kennedy, fellas? IMO he's one of your best inside midfielders.

Thinking about trading him in to my fantasy team this week (for Hewett, who has absolutely burnt me and looks slow and unfit)
Keep your hands off...
You've already stole one Kennedy from us... :grinv1:

So Gov who was maligned as a forward for years is now our forward saviour??
No one is suggesting he is a saviour. Our forward line is bang average and that is evident through the naked eye and stats. We rank bottom 10 for points scored, we are far too reliant on curnow and mckay, and we only have 4 players on our list that have kicked more than 100 goals. McGovern has always been a goalkicker and goal provider, making him the perfect man to complement the twin towers. The club played him underdone/injured in 2019/20, which made him look like a failed forward. Listen to any Crows player/coach when he was there. They always gave him huge props for his work in that forward line. Its no coincidence that Adelaide's forward line was well beaten in 2017 GF with Gov injured. Also ranked 7th in the comp for average goal assists in 2017. Even in 2019 when he was underdone, he still kicked more goals than JSOS has ever kicked in a season.

We recruited Gov to play alongside Charlie and Harry. They have only played 8 games as a forward trio due to Gov and Charlie always being injured. In those 8 games they kicked 39 goals combined, and this is when we were a bottom 4 side. Its time to finally bring the 3 headed monster back to life.

Last edited:
We’ve never had a senior decent forward able to teach our young key forwards the ropes, they’ve had to learn on the fly. He’s d be offering Tomahawk an assistant coaching role for 24 now.
Spot on, retaining Eddie for the younger small forwards would have been very beneficial passing on his knowledge, I’m of the belief that Harry has needed someone to show him how use his body in contested one on one’s, our overall positioning & running patterns are not up to standards there may be reasons for this on both sides coaching/players..

Voss has been trying to unpick the 7/8/7 “rule” since he started in this role.
He’s been trying 7/9/6 and last week I reckon we were very close to 6/10/6 (mids: Cripps, Docherty, Walsh, Kennedy, Hewett, Acres, Hollands, Cottrell, Cerra, Pittonet)
This all due to preferring a highly contested style in the midfield and results in guys who are best in the midfield ending up playing the majority of game time either at half forward or half back.
It’s why - in my view - Docherty should play permanent half back and we need to find a more effective half forward from that group or drop one of our mids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back