Half-forwards:Jack SilvagniCharlie CurnowJack Martin
Forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaEd CurnowMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsGeorge HewettJosh Honey
Lewis Young

Harry mckay the new Paul Salmon 😎

One of the last things I want to see is Cerra spending extended times out of the middle. A little rotation/rest on a flank, sure. But predominantly on-ball, and not busting a nut out on the wing to defensively cover for 2 or more of Cripps/Kennedy/Dow/Hewett.

I want our primary/1st-choice mid unit to be Cripps, Cerra & Walsh. Wings (& a HHF) to all be runners, so the likes of Acres, Docherty, Hollands, Cottrell, Binns.

I don't mind Cripps & Kennedy going forward in patches, playing as marking forwards, but having any of them spend significant time there, especially in situations where there's 3 talls on-field in that part of the ground. Dow being part of that inside-fwd rotation probably has to count as a marking option, despite not really being on in the same way, as he's not going to provide the run & pressure that the smaller types provide.

Agree. I think we need to take the attitude that Cripps, Cerra, Walsh are our 3 best mids and anyone else we pick needs to be able to play around them. None of those 3 should be forced out of the midfield for significant periods of time for the sake of fitting in someone else.

Why do you feel the need to belittle and insult people who are upset that things aren't going well?

We invested pick 2 or 3 for the kid, the club should be doing EVERYTHING they can to make him work
You must conform! Do not question. As members thought we had rights to wonder and question and be passionate about the direction of “our” club.

Some people follow a political party and just blindly continue to vote them regardless of the mess they make.

I love the CFC, 30 year continuous member, watch every game… as per Voss’s team meeting this week it’s also about us the members and fans who will be with this team for life.. vs a coach, player who may move on invest time at another club, spent their childhood following * or Pies…

Might go to the game this week and slap the Shyte out of every supporter in the stand who riding the highs and lows decides to be upset if the lows are more frequent than the highs as per the last 20 years. Must conform, must remove the passion/fabric of the game… must replug into the matrix.

Why isn't 200cm Harry McKay sharing ruck duties? Would add some needed ersatility to his game and help alleviate some of the duplication between him and Charlie (who is a better and more reliable goal kicker) while also giving him a way to cotribute outside scoreboard impact.

Surely playing against Ned Reeves would be a chance to give him a shot.

Harry, from his own mouth, is 205cm.

(Reeves 210cm btw)

See this:

"Yeh mate, we are all sitting here each week praying Carlton play terribly and the match committee make mind boggingly decisions so we can have a melt".

This is exactly - EXACTLY - how you and your cronies come off here. Wadda think of that? Surprised? Shocked to be sitting there? Loving the "boggingly"?
Not sure, how/why you come to this conclusion...

No doubt in my mind, that every poster here, is here because they want the best for the CFC...

Differing ideas and opinion, make the board/world what it is...
It would be a pretty boring place if we all had the same opinion...

No.... Lewis young was an intercept defender who was too slow and timid so the bulldogs repurposed him as a ruck.... Which didn't go well, so he left. Fair play too I don't think it suits him and he thought the same at that time, he's not 'tough' enough for bash and crash rucking and his agility isn't that of a TDK type to leap and tap ruck. Would prefer makeshifts like cripps and McKay splitting time tbh.
Positionally correct SHT. Not sure I agree with your general assessment. He is certainly not your stereotypical rough, rugged defender, but can and has been a very effective one in his own way. As you alluded to, a superb interceptor. Proved last season after MacDonald went down early, that he was a capable Key defender. When Weitering went down for a period, was “the man” and did it well. He has considerable reach and closing speed and has a happy knack of getting a hand to difficult contests and providing good outcomes for his team.

With our “inconsistency this season, it is clear we have changed up our defensive structures and roles. I am not close enough to assess “blame”, but he is clearly less effective and less confident this season. It is hard to judge the apparent disconnect between he and Weiters, in particular. I am not certain how he fits going forward, but the club saw enough to give him a decent contract extension. If he is to do extended time in the twos, it is to be hoped he is developed as a true swingman. The bloke probably is a little fragile or at least prone to confidence issues. A good coaching group will build him up, rather than break him down.

I almost want TDK to miss Sunday as I am sure Young will thrive with the responsibility thrust upon him. He has done well in ruck cameos earlier in the season. If TDK is, indeed, planning on leaving, Young needs to be considered a ruck option, particularly second ruck for next season.

He is a different cat and needs some “nourishment” but I don’t think of Young as slow or timid. Perhaps over thinking, having trouble relating/balancing instinct to instruction, with the resultant confusion/lack of clarity leading to skill errors.
I like Young and will be surprised if he is not a consistent top team player over a longer term. He is a “different cat”, but has already shown he has what it takes.

Having said that, I am not unhappy that the coaching group has reverted to a shorter, but more proactive defensive group, at least in the short term. Young can be effective in the ruck or forward, but will need his head in the right space. I believe he responds well if genuinely given more responsibility.

I for one do agree.
However I can handle a coach living by the sword and dying by the sword. Ultimately Voss has the final say in the MC and that’s fair enough and the way it should be.
I can only make some semblance of his logic, in that he believes Dow being part of the 22 will not enchance our chances of winning.
Conversely he seems to have peversed rose colored glasses with Ed, & a few others.
I’ve said it a few times on here - he just ain’t that bright. Would love to hear what some of our assistants really think behind closed doors.

Funny you should say 'aint that bright'. I spoke with an ex-player from before Voss' tenure with zero axe to grind and he said that the mail is Voss is 'dumb as dog crap' and the players just aren't responding to him any more. Just a drainer so to speak. Now if we were to come out and blow Hawthorn away said ex-player will look pretty foolish. Can't wait to find out!

We know the club would have moved him on last year if he wasn't contracted, so that wouldn't surprise me. His focus is probably more on trying to get another club to give him a gig on their rookie list next year.

He isn't the future and he isn't pivotal to our future success, I don't understand why people insist on spending all this time talking about him.

Clubs have traded out plenty of better players than Paddy over the years with a lot less fuss.

I think it has something to do with his elite form in the twos and the coaching panel's unwillingness to play him. Given our current form, we could do a lot worse than Paddy that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zero pressure acts? He avgs 1 less tackle than Fog, has kicked a whole lot more goals & laid 3 tackles in a quarter of a game where 1/4 of the team didn’t lay a single tackle!
And ...... HE IS A GOOD PLAYER! Simple as that .

I feel for him big time.

Last edited:
So, take out a player who, firstly, doesn't deserve to be dropped based on performance and secondly, actually plays a different role just so that Dow plays? Why would you do that?
Of course they play different roles. My 8 year old nephew knows that. That’s beside the point.

Have you been around long enough to understand that teams can be selected on who the opponent is?

Hawthorn’s one-wood is their run and carry. Dow is way more suited than Fogarty to that style of play.

Why can’t Fog be made sub? Fringe player, playing his first game in over a year who played a serviceable game. Midfielder playing mainly forward. Minimal impact- 10 touches, 3 tackles, 1 goal.

Last edited:
small-bell-ringing-sound-effect.jpg

Of course they play different roles. My 8 year old nephew knows that. That’s beside the point.

Have you been around long enough to understand that teams can be selected on who the opponent is?

Hawthorn’s one-wood is their run and carry. Dow is way more suited than Fogarty to that style of play.

Why can’t Fog be made sub? Fringe player, playing his first game in over a year who played a serviceable game. Minimal impact- 12 touches, 3 tackles, 1 goal.
Yeah, that was enough for me right there, didn't bother with the rest. The discussion wasn't about me, thanks.

Why can’t Fog be made sub? Fringe player, playing his first game in over a year who played a serviceable game. Minimal impact- 12 touches, 3 tackles, 1 goal.
Correct me if I’m wrong but hasn’t one of the biggest knocks on Dow been his ability to run defensively? I would argue that playing against a high run and carry opponent is far WORSE for Dow than Fog.

Fog seems to have been picked to replace Durdin/Motlop/Fisher and his ability to spend some time in the middle is a bonus.

Dow is a mid through and through who would probably go to the bench or maybe spend a couple of stints forward.

I still see that as putting a square piece into a round hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back