Centreline:Blake AcresPatrick CrippsSam Walsh
Half-forwards:Jack SilvagniCharlie CurnowJack Martin
Forwards:Lachie FogartyHarry McKayDavid Cuningham
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraSam Docherty
Interchange:Alex CincottaEd CurnowMatthew Kennedy
Matthew Owies
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsGeorge HewettJosh Honey
Lewis Young

It is hardly the point, it is about rewarding consistent performances and looking ahead to next year, both Binns & Dow have been by far our best performers,continuing to play Ed Curnow is just plain ridiculous & continuing to play JSos as a 2nd ruck which everyone knows he is just not up to it.

How about being a little creative & instead of repeating the same things that have failed, actually feel sorry that Jack is being asked to play this role, it takes too long for our MC to see the obvious.

We won by a ****load in our previous game. before the bye.

Ideally I would kept an unchanged line up going into this week's game, but alas injuries and other mitigating factors played their part.

I don't recall Jack complaining about being forced to play in the ruck (in fact, I get the suspicion he rather enjoys it)

Binns i admit probably should get a look in, but Paddy Dow (let's be brutally honest) is not part out of our future.

This whole selection integrity cliche that's been doing the rounds is really irksome to me, Vossy (the coach) is not the only one who has the final say on the make-up of our 22 playing on the weekend.

Assuming we beat Hawthorn, and I honestly believe we will flog em, our finals hopes are back on track, why buy into all this negative Nellie mindset. I sure as **** hope our players don't.

Murphy didn’t warrant a game - he was a liability at the end of his career.
Similar for Ed this year.
Look at Port Adelaide’s approach to team selection and player roles this year. They are the antithesis of us.
No players has a right to play.

I don't disagree. It's just what happened.

The difference with Marc and Ed is that Marc was chasing a milestone. Ed is chasing what exactly other than Father Time?

Ideally I would kept an unchanged line up going into this week's game, but alas injuries and other mitigating factors played their part.

I don't recall Jack complaining about being forced to play in the ruck (in fact, I get the suspicion he rather enjoys it)

Binns i admit probably should get a look in, but Paddy Dow (let's be brutally honest) is not part out of our future.

This whole selection integrity cliche that's been doing the rounds is really irksome to me, Vossy (the coach) is not the only one who has the final say on the make-up of our 22 playing on the weekend.

Assuming we beat Hawthorn, and I honestly believe we will flog em, our finals hopes are back on track, why buy into all this negative Nellie mindset. I sure as **** hope our players don't.
Neither is Ed... but they keep playing him and keep leaving Dow in the VFL when he is clearly a much better option for our seriously one paced midfield.

I agree about Binns though.

Honey in the emergencies ahead of Dow and Cowan is extremely disappointing. Those who are suggesting he's a better forward than Dow are doing so on fairly limited recent form, doubly so when in the last VFL game he play on-ball for most of it, and was mediocre at best.

He's a better key forward than we expected when we got him. He's not the double threat we recruited him for. He was rucking and going forward in his draft year.
McKay was a key forward as a junior, but late in his draft year the recruiters got their say and he saw a few ruck minutes to show off his ability there and general athleiticism.

He's not much of a ruck, and certainly after a series of back issues he shouldn't be used at the centre bounce.
Anyone heard from Voss why they've picked Ed?
I personally said Ed needed 2 weeks rest, and he's received that. If they're prepared to play him predominantly inside ahead of Walsh, I'm tentatively interested to see how things go.

Binns and Hewett were somewhat borderline, but I suspect both might be in sooner rather than later, especially if we cough this game up.

JSos is a under sized ruckman and is not competitive in that role, if you cannot see that suggest you rewatch some games.

Voss & Mc are very conservative playing a 34 year old Curnow when we are not making finals is crazy.
Voss & the Mc have played a slow mid field most of the season, not even going to bother with the Dow situation.

Agree with the sentiment that playing Ed (going on 34, output this year below his career average) ahead of younger players doesn’t make a lot sense.

Next few games against Hawks, Freo away, Port and WCE at Marvel. Maybe the club feel they’re all winnable and our last shot at making the 8, and that Ed’s experience is needed.

Can’t see the need for Hewett or Honey against the Hawks. Young as true emergency for TDK.

Binns sub…probably for Ed half way through the 3rd quarter.

Agree with the sentiment that playing Ed (going on 34, output this year below his career average) ahead of younger players doesn’t make a lot sense.

Next few games against Hawks, Freo away, Port and WCE at Marvel. Maybe the club feel they’re all winnable and our last shot at making the 8, and that Ed’s experience is needed.

Can’t see the need for Hewett or Honey against the Hawks. Young as true emergency for TDK.

Binns sub…probably for Ed half way through the 3rd quarter.
Yeh I don’t mind that the MC are picking what they see as the best side but I really struggle to see what Curnow brings to the team atm. I would’ve loved to bring in Binns to see if he could possibly add something different to the group.

Anyway, Blues by 25.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh I don’t mind that the MC are picking what they see as the best side but I really struggle to see what Curnow brings to the team atm. I would’ve loved to bring in Binns to see if he could possibly add something different to the group.

Anyway, Blues by 25.
The only thing that I can think of is that they may want to ease Binns into it, let some of the heat go out of the game before introducing him and then maybe follow that up with a full game next week. I can't see any other reasoning for it if Binns in fact does become the sub.

ruh-roh.gif
Wheeloo Waaabs

Had his chance last off season

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That’s a bullshit statement Kman considering on how crap the midfield has been travelling this year, seems like the current selections so far this year have been purely based on last years form…

How good has that worked out for us, slowest midfield gang in the competition, we’ve taking the last few games to actually work out the right combinations throughout the centre startups, finally stopped playing a 33yr old tagger either on the half forward flank or as a midfielder for basically tagging out against the opposition…
I
I’m one of the handful that seems to believe that for a player that has progressed and matured significantly in the last few seasons particularly this year who hasn’t been given a proper opportunity on form to show more of the midfield abilities our other midfielders don’t possess, why not give him the chance to show…

Last edited:
The Ed Curnow hate here really annoys me.

Being a great club stalwart for a long time.

And I firmly believe there is still a little bit of gas left in his tank (and yes this is his final season)

Richmond's flogging last night opens up a (slight) window to playing finals. Why not the MC try use the best/most proven players capable of getting us a win over Hawthorn.

Some posters want to have their cake and eat it too.

Hawthorn beat a strong Brisbane outfit here at the G a few years ago, we cannot afford to take them lightly.

The MC probably dares to dream of still playing.in finals and so do I!!!
Not hate EJ, just been bad poor selection/team management

Last edited:
I think Dow will have better 'offers' than either of those two , at that stage of their career's.(Kennedy did finally come good)
He's been our best VFL player for 2 seasons now and totally ignored by Voss.
What does he 'owe' this club?
Dow will thrive at another club, unfortunately

Paddy Dow is very similar to Nick Graham, too good for VFL level, yet somehow not up to scratch for the AFL ...

Dollars to donuts, I am willing to wager if Dow wasn't another top 10 draft pick we (unfortunately) wasted, we would have nowhere the outrage or emotional investment in the player, whom has had maybe not as many chances at AFL level as most would hope, but shown enough he really doesn't cut the mustard at the elite level.

He won't be at Carlton next year, and I would be very surprised if he plays more than 50 (AFL) games at his next club.
No disrespect Elma
Dow and Graham as players aren’t even close, different ereas but completely different skill sets…

Paddy Dow is a professional footballer and no doubt well aware of the situation and the whys and wherefores.
There must be something us supporters don't know though.
The reality is some players are just good reserves. And good clubmen.
How about we give him the chance to show us what he’s got, in a full game maybe in a full block of games…
Then we can all assess…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back