Autopsy 2023 Rd 9 Blues tease but go down again

Who played well for the Blues vs the Dogs in Round 9?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think genuinely the biggest problem from this game was the fact we never set up our repeat entries properly in the first half. We worry too much in perfecting the first inside 50 kick and presume that we will get the mark or the spillage.

They need to work backwards. They need to assume we won’t get it and set the field up as if the oppo marked the entry kick or crumbed the footy. It got better in the second half but I still think we are trying too hard to nail the entry kick that we forget to set the field up to at least make it harder for the oppo to go from their d50 to f50.

We are also still underdone in the middle but there’s lots to like. Hewett and Kennedy are slowly getting back to their best after interrupted preseasons. Walsh is a little up and down but he’ll find consistency eventually. I reckon there’s plenty left for crippa to answer to for the rest of the season. He’s set himself up for a big year.

Forward line is inexperienced but there’s always a presence.

Backline looks unsettled though. That’s my main area of concern.
We need more run from half back. I reckon Doch needs to stay deeper down back to make plays and we should push acres front of centre. He’s got height and he does have a decent eye for goals. I’d rather him make mistakes further up the field anyways. He has a presence when he plays.

I don’t know what else to say but the biggest game of the year is the next one. Strive and prosper blues.

Add inability to read the supporters to his list.

We need to get away from this thing where we just execute the coaches and never resolve the issues that obviously exist within the playing group. Nothing will ever change if you just go down the same path every time.

I want the club to stick with the coach and fix everything around him for once.

Last edited:
The problem with our team is up the top. It's our better players letting us down.

Weitering just a lock down defender, cripps just a player, Walsh poor user, McKay and Curnow can't keep it consistent, Saad not as good as last year, McGovern not holding many marks, the midfield in general...

Well, next week. Let's hope our better players impact.
These guys have been carrying the side the whole year without the others stepping up to share the workload. I suspect they are spent. If you look at the teams that are playing well they have a young midfield ( except Geelong). We desperately need to get everyone back on the same page and contributing. An injection of some speed and foot skills wouldn’t go astray either.

He's carrying an injury...just rest him.

I blame the club not Cripps
Yep. We never rest our top guns even when injured like Geelong do. It’s like we are soo desperate the we’ll run everyone into the ground rather than spread the load and get them right for the back end of the season.

This is when we should be playing Dow, not Ed.

I noticed Cerra only got 4 CBAs. That's a joke considering he has been our best mid this year. That's the problem with playing Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett. None of them play anywhere else so a more versatile guy like Cerra get pushed out even though he has been better then all 3.
Cerra needs to be at as many CB’s as possible - good inside & out.

I noticed Cerra only got 4 CBAs. That's a joke considering he has been our best mid this year. That's the problem with playing Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett. None of them play anywhere else so a more versatile guy like Cerra get pushed out even though he has been better then all 3.
I guess its doing the team thing, ie playing where you are needed. If Cerra goes to the middle and the other 3 can't play back, which of the 3 goes out and who comes into the side? If Crippa has any more stinkers, I think I know the answer to the question.

It's more than likely that Harry has received countless pieces of advice from various individuals, both higher-ups and peers. While there may be several areas to work on, it's important for someone within the club to take initiative (if they haven't done so already) and:

1. Assess his technique

2. Remind him of successful techniques in the past

3. Offer constructive feedback to address any flaws

4. Establish clear goals to strive towards

5. Encourage consistent practice

If it takes a "reset" to achieve this, then so be it. Continuing with the current mindset will only lead to more mistakes imo. Mistakes are inevitable, and personally, I don't see any issue with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps doesn’t have to be the saviour. Hell, if they got him working on his kicking again, they could play Kennedy, George and Cerra in the middle and use Cripps as the player they insert for 5 minute bursts.

The mentality that he has to be the dominant player in there, extracting the ball and then trying to break free and push it forward is hindering and not helping. Unless he feeds it to Cerra or a cleaner user or the ball, the hack kick becomes 50-50.

Using Cripps more intelligently will also preserve his body and prolong his career. The whole winning centre clearances feature is no longer a feature of our game. So we’re better ensuring we have cleaner disposal in the middle when we do get our hands on it. He’s also a big body that could potentially serve as a 3rd tall when going forward. Not to say he leads to the same packs that Charlie and Harry are heading towards, but he can at least be a link player that eventually gets it to them.

Cripps doesn’t have to be the saviour. Hell, if they got him working on his kicking again, they could play Kennedy, George and Cerra in the middle and use Cripps as the player they insert for 5 minute bursts.

The mentality that he has to be the dominant player in there, extracting the ball and then trying to break free and push it forward is hindering and not helping. Unless he feeds it to Cerra or a cleaner user or the ball, the hack kick becomes 50-50.

Using Cripps more intelligently will also preserve his body and prolong his career. The whole winning centre clearances feature is no longer a feature of our game. So we’re better ensuring we have cleaner disposal in the middle when we do get our hands on it. He’s also a big body that could potentially serve as a 3rd tall when going forward. Not to say he leads to the same packs that Charlie and Harry are heading towards, but he can at least be a link player that eventually gets it to them.

The only way to prolong his career is to have proxies while he rests. Kennedy and Doc (if he isn't plugging leaks) are probably the only two I've witnessed with that hunger to extract the ball. Injury or not, Hewett has gone completely backward with form.

I think I've been too harsh on our captain. He looks like he's injured. If that's the case the club should rest him. He couldn't get off the ground literally in that last quarter, I think Kennedy helped him up.

If you cross the line you're fit - i get a bit tired of the 'he's injured' excuse when he plays poorly.

Just on a side note I’m shocked at how poor Acres disposal is.
You shouldn't be, it was always a noted weakness in his game and why Freo let him go so easily.

Says something that a first year player comes straight into the team on a wing and looks better than any other we had last yr. Blake is still probably an upgrade on what he had/have but that's not a high bar for our wingers.

We need to get away from this thing where we just execute the coaches and never resolve the issues that obviously exist within the playing group. Nothing will ever change if you just go down the same path every time.

I want the club to stick with the coach and fix everything around him for once.
But what do you do if the coach actually isn't good enough?

I agree that just ditching coach after coach is a poor look, however, what other option is there if the coach isn't good enough? Fix everything else if you like but at the end of the day if the coach puts together a rubbish gameplan or can't get the players to follow him then it's moot.

You shouldn't be, it was always a noted weakness in his game and why Freo let him go so easily.

Says something that a first year player comes straight into the team on a wing and looks better than any other we had last yr. Blake is still probably an upgrade on what he had/have but that's not a high bar for our wingers.

Yeah has always been a bomber of the ball

I agree that just ditching coach after coach is a poor look, however, what other option is there if the coach isn't good enough? Fix everything else if you like but at the end of the day if the coach puts together a rubbish gameplan or can't get the players to follow him then it's moot.
And who decides if the coach is good enough, as opposed to other explanations for failures.
I think the 'gameplan' is fine.
Our players are hopeless kicking for goal is the real issue. Fix that we win most games.

I have analysed what made me so angry abnout this year so far. I have finally worked it out.

We are doing the small things badly, the stuff that professional organisations drill into their players.
Stupid snaps around the corner for set shots, missing easy kicks, and taking the worst option half the time.

The players obviously love Vossy, they are playing for him. We just need to be better at drilling in the basics and we should improve.

I must say that it is infuriating that an AFL team can be so unprofessional. They need to fix it asap.

EG, Harry Mackay saying he doesn't have time to work on kicking for goal. It needs to be fixed.

How can a professional organisation get to a stage where a bloke like Harry (and others) doesn't have a proper routine when it comes to shooting for goal?

Sacking another coach now pretty much ensures that you will find it near on impossible to attract a decent coach the next time you're looking for one. Who wants to coach a club where you are likely to be turfed out at the first sign of problems, a club where you are constantly coaching for survival rather than being able to develop?

The football department should be constantly reviewing where everything is at and if they think there are weaknesses in the coaching then make moves to support the coach/es in the areas where they identify weaknesses. Clubs like Geelong and Richmond were under enormous pressure to sack coaches, Thompson and Hardwick, before making the changes necessary to help them become premiership coaches.

I still say that if 3 successive coaches can't get one particular group of players to follow them then maybe the problem may not lie solely with the coaches.

Back