VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Liking some of the development we're seeing from reserves guys this year. They've been forced to shoulder the load of responsibility given our injury list and now that we've got the mid-season draft guys in with some returning injured players, they're showing better form with more support. Magor is looking the goods as a rebounding defender with sharp skills, Edwards is improving every week with his defensive nous and physicality, Mitchell is back fit and looks dynamic as a runner and I like his decision making, and McAndrew I'm still bullish will be a seniors mainstay from next year.
I wish I could agree - but for the first 8 games, our youngsters looked underwhelming.

A few looked much better yesterday - in large part because we finally had a powerful target up forward.

To me, the jury is still out on the young crop. Some will likely emerge, others won’t.

He was right in the coalface and look at Parkers disposals from out of there , these blokes get it out to others . The thing that pisses me off at all levels is players that do well in 2nds in a position rarely get to play in the some position in seniors
I feel like he didn't do that though. He was just fumbling it out and dishing off to the nearest bloke, even if it was a Sandringham player.

I like this game, overall prior to now no one imomwascreallt standing up as developing well.I think the inclusions from the msd upped the performance of all, games from some like Magic were his best imo. The rankin performance also good to see. I liked Stephens game, the ability to get the ball was great to see in a role we haven’t really seen him in before. Buller and Arnold may very soon be best 22. To see this group progress in the second half of the season will be where the interest lies for mine.
Magor
not magic!

I thought at least 4 listed players had their best games for us yesterday, including the two newbies (obviously). Magor and Edwards also played their best games so far.

After a buoyant result like yesterday it gets tricky when you wonder who we will de-list at year's end. I might post more about that in the Draft & Trade thread.

Some reporting. Better than nothing.

Grimlock, are the coaches' votes in yet?

I had forgotten (or missed the news) that Bartholomaeus is our captain. What a great captain's goal to win the game!

Some reporting. Better than nothing.

Grimlock, are the coaches' votes in yet?

I had forgotten (or missed the news) that Bartholomaeus is our captain. What a great captain's goal to win the game!
Just on the captaincy, from Swans site prior to the first match
Will Collis has been named captain of the side, leading a strong contingent of VFL regulars in Harry Morrison, Jake Bartholomaeus, Nic Shipley and Jake Veale is part of the leadership group.

Leadership group falling like flies.

I did mention at the start of the season
Good effort from Collis to be named skipper.
The narrative when he joined us was that we signed him because he was Papley's best mate (after Tom's abortive trade).
Obviously impressed the coaches, given we had more 'obvious' choices (eg Bartholomaeus, Shipley).

Just from what I've seen onfield I would still consider Bartholomaeus & Shipley more natural captains.

Is there a protocol that the VFL captain should be player from the VFl list and not the AFL list?
No, but makes sense for continuity. If you have an AFL listed player experienced or rated enough to be captain, they'll probably be one of the first picked to seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So that means on Sat 24th June.

10.05am Reserves play Collingwood in Melbourne
4.35pm Seniors play West Coast in Sydney

Maybe that will give a few emergencies a chance to play a partial VFL game then rush back to Sydney. Rather than having to keep extra emergency players in Sydney just in case of late changes.

I'll be heading out to Springfield this weekend to watch the boys. Does anyone know if you have to buy tickets? Or can I just rock up?

In Sydney, you can just rock up. Don't know about Springfield but I'd be surprised if Queensland is different to NSW in this respect.

Sydney Swans VFL coach Damian Truslove features on this week's episode of State of Play: VFL/W Podcast.

As part of this week's edition of State of Play: VFL/W Podcast

1:00 - Weekend champions

5:55 - Sydney Swans coach Damian Truslove talks through his side's breakthrough win over Sandringham, which was highlighted by impressive performances from AFL Mid-Season Draft inclusions Jack Buller and Harry Arnold. Truslove also discusses his coaching journey and previews his side's upcoming clash with the second-placed Brisbane Lions.

16:20 - Weekend predictions ahead of the return of action in the rebel VFLW and another big round of matches in the Smithy's VFL.

BRISBANE LIONS vs SYDNEY SWANS​

Saturday 17 June, 11:05am, Brighton Homes Arena

SYDNEY SWANS
B:
W. Edwards (28), W. Gould (17), J. Brown (50)
HB: L. Rankin (41), T. Longmire (58), H. Arnold (38)
C: C. Vickery (25), C. Mitchell (35), R. Clarke (4)
HF: J. Magor (32), H. Hall-Kahan (45), J. Bartholomaeus (53)
F: J. Konstanty (18), C. Owen (40), H. Morrison (55)
R: L. McAndrew (46), C. Warner (37), D. Stephens (3)
INT: J. Endemann (59), I. Kirk (56)*, C. Cleary (66), T. Gander (57), M. Rider (63)
EMG: M. Geddes (61), M. Velthuis (60), J. Tidemann (65), J. Crocker (54)

IN: R. Clarke, C. Cleary, T. Gander, I. Kirk, M. Rider
OUT: J. Buller (AFL), R. Fitzroy, M. Geddes, Hamish Morrison, J. Tidemann

The Swans broke through for their first win of the year against Sandringham last week and will aim for the upset of the season with four members of the high-flying Allies team – Indhi Kirk, Caiden Cleary and VFL debutants Tye Gander and Max Rider – coming in alongside prolific midfielder Ryan Clarke.

Mid-season draftee Harry Arnold will line up against his old team just two weeks after heading south, with his fellow newcomer Jack Buller rushed up for an AFL debut on Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL 2023 Swans Reserves

Remove this Banner Ad

Back