List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Pure comedy gold
Enlighten me how we've improved our list. All of Collingwood, Melbourne, Carlton, Dogs and Power have improved their lists. Giants have done less than us, but please do tell how we've upgraded our list this off-season compared to our opponents in and around us?

Brandon Ryan V Pies R21
3.05 Contested mark. Then 50m penalty, goal
3.25 Ground ball get off Breust soccer kick, goal from goal square
6.40 Contested mark in pocket. Kicked that goal around the corner style but not shown on this reel.
7.45 Contests mark in goal square ball comes to front and Breust goals.

Assuming we are getting the full gunston contract off the books, that's about the best we could have hoped for.
Pretty poor list management to begin with signing a player as broken down as he clearly was on $1M over two years, but sure great stuff by the club to now get the money off the books.

Pretty poor list management to begin with signing a player as broken down as he clearly was on $1M over two years, but sure great stuff by the club to now get the money off the books.

Do you know what the average player wage is bud?

I swear I saw something say 500k, which I guess is nothing too special these days but it's quite a bit considering he wouldn't be best 22?

Ralph reported 500k. Still a fair bit above AFL average for next year noting that the pay increase probably takes a year or two to push the average up.

Doesn't that only happen historically when a team gets thumped in the grand final?

I think we've done fine. By finals next year we'll be able to add Wash, Payne and Doedee to our GF 22. That's a definitive upgrade and even with two talls going out our depth hasn't been compromised. We're a young team and there should still be improvement from plenty. That loss hurt but looking objectively I see no reason why we should slide.
Massive assumption that we don't have any other injuries come finals time next year if we are good enough to make it.

Every club has to take draft picks don't they? So port are pretty much taking the Mickey.
They'll just be taking the last couple of picks. Doesn't matter what number they really are.

I too am devastated at the prospect of missing out on the Coleman Medalist we were going to take with 2024's pick 35 .
Not any more! We just got the 2025-2028 Coleman Medalist instead!

Enlighten me how we've improved our list. All of Collingwood, Melbourne, Carlton, Dogs and Power have improved their lists. Giants have done less than us, but please do tell how we've upgraded our list this off-season compared to our opponents in and around us?
My concern as well. But unfortunately the Lions just don't have the same opportunities such as those clubs to give lucrative "bonuses" outside of the salary cap so we are hamstrung a bit in terms of cap to bring in quality.

It's been done, so I'll get behind Ryan and the way I see it it's not his fault you take the job security any day of the week especially in his position.

This Gunston grub is the person I'm absolutely livid about. Tried to mercenary his way here to get another premiership, it didn't turn out/didn't work hard enough, and crawls back to Hawks with his tail between his legs. What irks me the most is that he allegedly DID NOT inform the club of this desire until a few active trading days left on the calendar. Absolute flog move by this grub and really bent the club over the barrel.

Massive assumption that we don't have any other injuries come finals time next year if we are good enough to make it.

True but it's also a massive assumption we'll fall completely out of the 8 based on the trade period.

You could look into the process of transferring your active club support from Hawthorn to Brisbane ... you can even make an entry on our 'How did you start supporting the Lions?' thread.

We also have a few dual-citizen type posters and since you apparently live in or love Queensland...

Note - have not examined the posting history and if he is the Danster of the Hawthorn board I am sure the mods can put up a quick entry requirement ;)
2 mates of mine got drafted to the Lions during the blunder years and you'd stopped perennially thrashing us by then so I was like #YOLO, up the 'Roys. Then I wanted to surf in boardshorts. Life a million times better in South-Southeast Nerang. Literally FIFO on the same day to watch Hawthorn at the G nowadays, Melb is that hard to bare :'(

+, now I've seen Rayner's rig up close at the Gabbatoir, I'm hooked.

Collingwood are nowhere near as far in front of their competition as some footy pundits make out.

They won 3 finals by a total of 12 points, a little tinkering around the edges by us, Giants, Blues and Demons and they are all well and truly in the mix for a flag, Doedee at his best is an AA level defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please spare a thought for McIvor, who is taking this much much worse than I am. Be strong.
Not taking anything that bad, just find it laughable that people are accepting of this off-season when we fell short whilst all of those teams around us have upgraded their lists.

Didnt agree with Doedee acquisition which i accept is a free hit, not Ryan who'll do as much as Fullerton, just annoyed watching every one around us improve there lists whilst we do nothing and expect to go one better.

Doedee returning fit is adding a near AA squad level intercept defender and rebounder. Ryan was pretty clearly a depth pickup with upside after losing Fullarton and Gunston.

From the grand final team that only lost by 4 points we’ll add Doedee, Ashcroft and Payne. Those three inclusions are bigger than what any other club has added this trade period.

Granted it's small sample size but goodness me, he showed plenty. 2m tall, a decent left-foot, strong footy IQ and clean hands at ground level. We shouldn't have relented.

And he evidently passes Fages' character test. Pretty unanimous that he's a quality young man.
three tall left foot forwards

This Gunston grub is the person I'm absolutely livid about. Tried to mercenary his way here to get another premiership, it didn't turn out/didn't work hard enough, and crawls back to Hawks with his tail between his legs. What irks me the most is that he allegedly DID NOT inform the club of this desire until a few active trading days left on the calendar. Absolute flog move by this grub and really bent the club over the barrel.
Just saw DD say on Fox Footy that Gunston informed Fagan only last Friday that he wanted out. I take back my post saying perspective was required for this bloke. Where's the respect to the Lions from Gunston knowing we are in the trade period and would need to look elsewhere; you'd think he would have told the club the week after the GF so the club could sound people out. What a campaigner of a bloke particulalry someone like him who knows how these things work. My opinion of Gunston was never that high, its even less now and certainly dont wish him well.

Yes, I asked that question on the main board and Lore said they can upgrade rookies as part of compulsory additions.

So definitely taking the Mickey.

The draft is supposed to bring new players into the system. If they upgrade rookies, they haven't.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2023 Trade & List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back