Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I think CaptainWorpedo nailed it yesterday with the Brad Scott connection but more so the final carrot will be that Dodo literally has a pre-printed cheque book that says ‘100k more per season than what Hawthorn offers’ 😂
Lots of pressure on Dodoro.
Either he gets the Dons a list soon that can challenge or his career is done.

There are no such pressures at the HFC so if it happens and they outbid us, it shouldnt be a surprise.

For everyone on here.

When you are a free agent your management needs to do the rounds to find you the best deal possible.

A player doesn’t test free agency and then interview with 1 club only.

For everyone suggesting Mckay is only looking for the best offer and we don’t need that is kidding themselves.

I know Karl Amon met with multiple clubs last year.

This is just what happens.

Essendon have a 6 year deal on the table and a chance for Ben to play for his old coach again according to Ralphy. Sounds like a juicy option to me.

Hawks are having a swing at things which is great as we know how undermanned our backline is. Could Ben deal with being the number 1 defender for us?

Sydney have a way of getting these deals done. Smaller ground might suit his big frame.

North are sitting back laughing all the way to the compensation bank with 3 clubs falling over each other for his services.

If Hawthorn did nothing or wasn’t mentioned in every free agent chat we would be howled down as we have plenty of spare cash and everyone would want to know what we are doing.

I was told early on we are confident.
I was then told the goal posts had moved. Bombers 6 year deal perhaps?
I have recently been told we are still quietly confident .

So from all that his management has done a brilliant job keeping 3 clubs on the hook.

Lots of pressure on Dodoro.
Either he gets the Dons a list soon that can challenge or his career is done.

There are no such pressures at the HFC so if it happens and they outbid us, it shouldnt be a surprise.
He hasn't done that in over 20 years, don't think the pressure is going to start anytime soon.

family guy dancing GIF
I believe everybody’s heard about this.

For everyone on here.

When you are a free agent your management needs to do the rounds to find you the best deal possible.

For everyone suggesting Mckay is only looking for the best offer and we don’t need that is kidding themselves.

Essendon have a 6 year deal on the table and a chance for Ben to play for his old coach again according to Ralphy. Sounds like a juicy option to me.

Hawks are having a swing at things which is great as we know how undermanned our backline is. Could Ben deal with being the number 1 defender for us?

Sydney have a way of getting these deals done. Smaller ground might suit his big frame.

North are sitting back laughing all the way to the compensation bank with 3 clubs falling over each other for his services.

If Hawthorn did nothing or wasn’t mentioned in every free agent chat we would be howled down as we have plenty of spare cash and everyone would want to know what we are doing.

So from all that his management has done a brilliant job keeping 3 clubs on the hook.

Get out of here with your calm and rational logic! You have no place in this histrionic tra...I mean hypothetical trade thread!

Do we really want a guy like McKay who appears to be shopping himself to the highest bidder? (And pretty transparently trying to get higher and higher offers). The fact we seem to still be engaging shows a bit of desperation. How can you get comfort the guys is bought in to culture/performance once he gets his payday?

Agree, partially.
We desperately need an in demand FA. It's not so much about this player. It's about in 2 to 3 years attracting others.
There's a reason the same clubs get the free agents. Their managers push them in a direction, and rightly or wrongly, that's because of money.
A couple of big plays now will attract players later

For everyone on here.

Thanks so much for this, I'm all good now. Now just back to E=mc2.

Do we really want a guy like McKay who appears to be shopping himself to the highest bidder? (And pretty transparently trying to get higher and higher offers). The fact we seem to still be engaging shows a bit of desperation. How can you get comfort the guys is bought in to culture/performance once he gets his payday?
Food for thought but outside of as you say McKay / his manager shopping him to the highest bidder don't be surprised if the reason an announcement hasn't been made is because no teams contract offer is pushing him into Band 1 compo. Maybe the longer this drags out the more it could be a possibility that North are just trying to buy time to push this towards Band 1.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Food for thought but outside of as you say McKay / his manager shopping him to the highest bidder don't be surprised if the reason an announcement hasn't been made is because no teams contract offer is pushing him into Band 1 compo. Maybe the longer this drags out the more it could be a possibility that North are just trying to by time to push this towards Band 1.
The free agency period doesn't start until the 6th of October. There's no reason for McKay to announce where he's going now except to end the speculation. It's best for him to keep all options open as long as possible, even if he has made his choice.

Absurd 5-7 year deals are all the rage and eventually one day we’ll need to agree to one to get a target we really want. Best to resign yourself to that fact.

Note this article and then this.

NORTH MELBOURNE

There’s a view that if rival offers trigger band one compensation — and net North Pick 3

I'd be keen to see what happens if it doesn't trigger band one.

North fans seem convinced they'll match and get better than the band two compo in trade, or that McKay would be otherwise happy to stay.

Personally I don't see any club willing to pay up anything like that in trade on top of their contract offer which would have been based on the assumption they weren't having to give anything else up.

Nor do I see McKay sticking around if he's already mentally committed to moving. Also not great for their culture to force a player who wants out to stay and be paying them big bucks at the same time.

It could force the fabled PSD scenario. Of course, North would have a selection ahead of everyone except West Coast. But all McKay needs to do is nominate a short term deal on massive money. If North are stubborn and select him anyway then they'll take a massive blow to their cap for what would then be a disgruntled player who will be an unrestricted free agent in 2 years. And if they pass the deal can then be smoothed out with an extension (AFAIK, no rules against this as it's not a free agency signing).

Of course none of that will happen. The AFL will just strongly suggest they let him go and then fix them up with some more assistance package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back