Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely they will trade that this quick, then the association with McKay compo will be clear. Give it another 2-3 days.

This can come in deep into trade period after FA has closed. Other clubs will have shown their cards.

But hope North flip and show the finger to Dodo even if they had a "deal". What is Dodo going to do. Play hard at next trade? That is their default position, anyway.
They can trade that draft night too as long as no players are involved

When all is said and done, we still finished bottom four and we are competing with a contender and premier and Essendon finished just outside top 8. Our footy dept is still young and new so that also probably plays into what is happening which is why we need to have a close look at our performance after the draft.
I agree, all fine and good observations, but our footy dept and List Management needs to harden up, if the current people do not like this approach, then there are HFC people who are capable of it.

I know I am ranting, but last night, IF THE REPORTING WAS CORRECT, when Brockman and the Brockman team effectively told us what we could do with ourselves, despite assurances earlier from them the HFC would not be treated poorly, tells me we are too nice.
That combined with Kosi, undervaluing his Richmond contract and reminding us that we supposedly offered him $150k, plus demanding a higher pick for Chol even though GC supposedly told him to go and find a contract elsewhere, as well as Dodo telling us D’Ambrissio would not end up at the HFC and he was a required player.

I appreciate this will all get sorted and the players are all minor, BUT it is symptomatic of how we are perceived, and frankly it has to stop.

Last edited:
Time to tell the media the truth. We have been ignored, we have played the good citizen card, time to play the “what is good for hawthorn fc card”
Absolutely, want Kozi pay the price, want Brockman pick 36 thanks. And we make the offer for Chol for Kozi pick and D'Amrosia a future fourth and just sit back and wait, they will roll over on the last day.

We have got to to be smarter and more creative. Building back through the draft is a very fine and astute strategy, but it is not the only way it is done and we know it.
We need to be harder, our List Management team if it is constrained needs to make that clear internally, as far as I know it has not.
Currently we are doing a good job drafting but we are not doing all the other things well. We know it. Time we had that honest conversation.
Let's see where this period lands at the end of next week. I agree with you in terms of previous recent trade periods. It has not been a strength as we have not achieved stated aims. If the period ends without achieving goals once again, it will need to be looked at.

Sam McClure is a moron
He is alright on Tradies, still more than happy with his own work but he unloads on the AFL and the assistance package and McKay compo which was a good listen because Mitch Cleary also seems to loosen his tie or take his jacket off a touch too

All well and good except the fact that there's another club that will pony up and offer a much better pick. WCE are just doing what's best for their club, Brockman just doing what's best for him so why are we the only people who need to compromise?

Make a stand, screw this goodwill rubbish as it stands for zilch in this day and age of greedy agents making decisions.
Who is that club? Freo?

What makes you think they will give up anything "much better" than 36?

Their current best pick in 2023 is 44. For anything higher they would be relying on their return for Schultz/Henry. Both would/will return more than they would reasonably be willing to give up for Brockman.

At best they could give us something slightly higher with us throwing later pick(s) back their way. Or a 3 way deal that sees them get Brockman + an improvement on 44 for one of their outgoing players.

They could look to future picks but it's looking like we want points for this year, and again, they have no real reason to go "much better" than 36 given his value and output to date.

All of this still requires Brockman to agree, which there is also a good chance wouldn't happen.

Given he specifically wants to return to WA, it's unlikely that any other clubs are relevant to the discussion.

In a world where we manage get pick 25, the difference in points value between 25 and 36 is roughly the equivalent of pick 52 which I would argue is not "much better" (if even possible) and certainly not worth the optics given our recent media attention and that he's a young indigenous player wanting to return to WA to his family.

Again, I agree that we need to stop rolling over in trades but a young indigenous player taken at pick 46 averaging under a goal a game isn't the hill to die on for our club.

I think this lands somewhere close to Brockman for 36. Or possibly Brockman + 53 for 36 + 43 if the Eagles are willing to play ball (which they don't have to due to PSD threats).

If we want to play hard ball, we are better served doing it with Kosi - at least he's a KPP, taken in a similar draft position, looking to stay in Victoria, and the Tigers don't have first pick in the PSD. It's a more reasonable demand and the optics are far better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harley would be just massive for our rebuild. I believe that if North are unwilling to give up 2 and 3 we will be giving the Eagles a massive bounty to get him. Get ready, buckle up !!!

Means we're moving him for a worse pick.
Yep - of course.

He played half the year in the VFL when we were desperate for decent talls in our AFL side.

So pick 35 to 50 in a weak draft is where he is probably rated. Get the pick for McCabe points. 👍

I agree, all fine and good observations, but our footy dept and List Management needs to harden up, if the current people do not like this approach, then there are HFC people who are capable of it.

I know I am ranting, but last night, IF THE REPORTING WAS CORRECT, when Brockman and the Brockman team team effectively told us what we could do with ourselves, despite assurances otherwise, tells me we are too nice.
That combined with Kosi, undervaluing his Richmond contract and reminding us that we supposedly offered him $150k, plus demanding a higher pick for Chol even though GC supposedly told him to go and find a contract elsewhere, as well as Dodo telling us D’Ambrissio would not end up at the HFC and he was a required player.

I appreciate this will all get sorted and the players are all minor, BUT it is symptomatic of how we are perceived, and frankly it has to stop.
We’re still paying for clarkos list management strategy. Buying high and selling low for multiple years and delaying a rebuild bringing in top ups has made the rebuild take an extra 3-4 years.

Losing Brockman for peanuts and having a pick 6 not show much to date has probably set us back another year. Finishing low for multiple seasons hasn’t made us an attractive team for players and throw in the racism report on top of that.

We just need to take our licks for while, keep drafting quality players and picking up a few b graders through trade and FA as we can and build a quality core. We need to get close to the 8 next season to help bring in the A grade trades and FA’s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back