Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hawthorn head of football Rob McCartney admits he is frustrated with the AFL’s decision to give North Melbourne pick three as compensation for key defender Ben McKay’s decision to sign with Essendon.

The Hawks fear they may not have the best offer when it comes to trying to prize the No.1 pick from West Coast Eagles as they were the previous holders of pick three before the league’s decision which bumps them to pick four.

McKay, 25, is a star defender with his best years ahead of him but the Hawks were still feeling aggrieved considering both the Roos and themselves could be offering trade packages to the Eagles for pick number one and the right to draft Harley Reid.

“There’s a level of frustration but I must admit there’s a lot of work to do at a footy club and controlling the controllables and this is not one of them - it means that you really have to move on pretty quick,” McCartney told SEN on Wednesday.

When asked if the Hawks would offer a package of pics to the Eagles, McCartney said he felt other clubs, presumably North Melbourne, could offer a better package now they have pick three.

“I think there might be another club now that might be a little bit better off with West Coast than maybe what we have,” McCartney told SEN.

“We’ve shown a genuine interest in in our journey to continually look to see if we can improve our draft and you know, the [Josh] Weddell experience last year [Hawthorn’s highest draft pick] turned out to be a really good one for us.

“So whether it’s turning three [picks] into one or other opportunities, we will definitely explore that.

“I think maybe some other clubs might have greater assets to put towards that.”

We’re two days into trade period and people are starting to lose their patience.

Happens every year.

I am not losing my patience just being realistic. We don't have the assets to pull crazy deals off. We have zero bargaining power with the Brockman trade and Kosi is absolutely not worth a second rounder as even McCartney has correctly stated this morning. This trade period is going to be fairly boring and uneventful for us - which is fine we are a rebuilding side and the draft is where we need to be doing our best work. I think the next couple of trade periods will be boring for us until players around the league start seeing what we are building and will want to jump on board.

There's talk about Ginnivan but we haven't spoken to him and he definitely hasn't spoken to us (yet?).
I think at this stage it's just speculation based off Schultz coming into the Collingwood side and what it means for his place in the team. Doubt it will amount to anything.

Buts it the optics it put out in the industry. Have you heard Freo saying things like that or any club? I would rather he say "were working with Richmond to get what we think is fair for HFC" rather than downplaying it.

Nah, I am pretty happy our list management crew don't sound like unhinged campaigners like Dodoro.

Hawthorn head of football Rob McCartney admits he is frustrated with the AFL’s decision to give North Melbourne pick three as compensation for key defender Ben McKay’s decision to sign with Essendon.

The Hawks fear they may not have the best offer when it comes to trying to prize the No.1 pick from West Coast Eagles as they were the previous holders of pick three before the league’s decision which bumps them to pick four.

McKay, 25, is a star defender with his best years ahead of him but the Hawks were still feeling aggrieved considering both the Roos and themselves could be offering trade packages to the Eagles for pick number one and the right to draft Harley Reid.

“There’s a level of frustration but I must admit there’s a lot of work to do at a footy club and controlling the controllables and this is not one of them - it means that you really have to move on pretty quick,” McCartney told SEN on Wednesday.

When asked if the Hawks would offer a package of pics to the Eagles, McCartney said he felt other clubs, presumably North Melbourne, could offer a better package now they have pick three.

“I think there might be another club now that might be a little bit better off with West Coast than maybe what we have,” McCartney told SEN.

“We’ve shown a genuine interest in in our journey to continually look to see if we can improve our draft and you know, the [Josh] Weddell experience last year [Hawthorn’s highest draft pick] turned out to be a really good one for us.

“So whether it’s turning three [picks] into one or other opportunities, we will definitely explore that.

4, F1 & 29 still on the table. North have to (and can) offer more

Is it me or the commentary is so negative about our draft/trading prospects? He basically says we're screwed and don't have much ideas on what to do?

We were never getting 25, people know that.

Then we should send him to PSD. We wont be using any third rounder this year other than for matching purposes (and we already have the picks to do that). Helping a direct competitor for free is bizarre.

Buts it the optics it put out in the industry. Have you heard Freo saying things like that or any club? I would rather he say "were working with Richmond to get what we think is fair for HFC" rather than downplaying it.

This.

McKay is a star defender. Alrighty then. Seriously, who writes this shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Perhaps Brady has told them they are taking Curtin with pick 2 regardless of any trades.

North possibly see Curtin and Duursma as their 1 and 2.

This blocks out trading with Hawthorn and the hope he slides.
North don't have the balls to draft a WA kid

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am not losing my patience just being realistic. We don't have the assets to pull crazy deals off. We have zero bargaining power with the Brockman trade and Kosi is absolutely not worth a second rounder as even McCartney has correctly stated this morning. This trade period is going to be fairly boring and uneventful for us - which is fine we are a rebuilding side and the draft is where we need to be doing our best work. I think the next couple of trade periods will be boring for us until players around the league start seeing what we are building and will want to jump on board.
That's fine, but the club has come out and said from the beginning that we're going to be big players this trade period and very aggressive. We were all over radio interviews a month ago spruiking our shopping list for this trade period and getting everyone excited.

I think it's good to be realistic, however, if that's our stated goal for our list management strategy which surely is 12 months in the making, then I don't think we should be hanging our heads just yet.

That's fine, but the club has come out and said from the beginning that we're going to be big players this trade period and very aggressive. We were all over radio interviews a month ago spruiking our shopping list for this trade period and getting everyone excited.

I think it's good to be realistic, however, if that's our stated goal for our list management strategy which surely is 12 months in the making, then I don't think we should be hanging our heads just yet.

I am not hanging my head. If we get out of this with Chol and points in the bank then I think the Macs have done a good job overall considering what they are working with and against. I am sure the club wanted to be aggressive and weren't lying about that - but when the Shinbeggars got gifted 2 additional first round picks and want similar things to us it makes it bloody hard to work around.

... but the threat of him not making it to them is what brings them back to the table for us?

Or they tell the player they want to put a stupid price on their head for the first year of his contract and take him for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back