Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will Ferrell Christmas GIF

Happy Deadline Day - sleepy does his best work

Originally it was 4 & F1 for 5 & Smith. As I said, I hadn't heard we were back on so i'm waiting for everyone to get in today. Well, the bosses anyway, no-one already here knows about it either.

I'll try and post but it's going to be a busy day. Word is we're starting on Ginny first.
Any news on the gunners deal KL?

Might pay to Google Andrew Krakouer’s journey from Richmond to Collingwood.

He managed to turn things around after getting cut and playing WAFL and going to jail for 32 months (16 non-parole)

Puts Ginnavin into some perspective.
Krakouer or Garlett... you just never know.
But that shouldn't stop us taking a risk on talented players sometimes.

Ginnivan is 20 people. He has made a few mistakes along the way.

He kicked 40 and won an Anzac medal at 19.

Hawthorn are desperate for some forwards. Big and small.

Chol and Ginnivan might not be the long term answers but let’s give it a go for a couple of years and see what Sam can do with them.

Unpopular opinion, but if we’re seriously offered a future 2nd for Ryan we take that and run. That future second is a free add to a haul to either obtain B Smith or Ginnivan. We picked Ryan in second round of MSD and are recruiting Gunner and Chol.

So we get a F2 for Ryan, F3 for Kozi, send the F3 to GCS for Chol and the F2 to Collingwood for Ginnivan.

Our small forwards are looking good and we finally get a big body to run with Lewis, and hopefully Gunston can get his body right and we get 2 years out of him.

We still need to work out what to do with our defense. Do we pick Curtin? Or hope for some later gems?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't quite see it myself as I think Ramsden has a fair way to go physically, but some on here believe that the club believes he's ready for a big season. Those people are usually spot on. Who knows what he will be after another preseason under his belt?

So with Lewis, Ramsden, DGB, Chol, Ryan and maybe Gunston there will be a player or two missing out. Maybe more if we decide to try the Meek + Reeves combo again.

A fair bit of 2022 was without rucks and a fair bit of 2023 was without kpf. Depth is a good thing

Unpopular opinion, but if we’re seriously offered a future 2nd for Ryan we take that and run. That future second is a free add to a haul to either obtain B Smith or Ginnivan. We picked Ryan in second round of MSD and are recruiting Gunner and Chol.

If he does want to pursue something elsewhere, he’s a rare case of a youngster wanting away too. if

At last we've hit trade period. It's been a long time since the Grannie but I locked in today to keep tabs on what we'll be doing all day today.

Interesting that we have almost a thousand pages here already. Lots of speculation on who we're chasing? I might have to go have a look.

At this point I'm more excited to hit 1000 pages than for any trades to go through, in fact I'd find it poetic if we reached 1000 without any meaningful trades occurring!
What a community!

Written by Robbo

Jack Ginnivan was supposed to be basking in the glory of being a premiership player, yet dark clouds settled over him pretty damn quickly.

Barely an hour after Collingwood’s triumph, coach Craig McRae expressed disappointment in Ginnivan attending the races at Moonee Valley the night before with a mate who had a horse racing.

Ginnivan was at home at the time and with youthful exuberance he thought why not.

McRae doubled down a few days later, albeit he tried to be open-minded.

The coach didn’t nail Ginnivan to the cross, but you have to wonder if he would’ve been so open-minded if the Magpies lost the grand final.

Perhaps then he would’ve had a mallet in his hand.

Ginnivan is an individual, a rascal if you like, in a team environment and coaches frown when they believe an individual has put himself above the team ethos.

Would any other player at Collingwood — or any player at any other club to be frank — venture to the track the night before the biggest game of their lives?

Ginnivan naively thought of himself ahead of the team.

It wasn’t smart. Not even for a young man of 20. At that age, he should’ve known what’s acceptable and not acceptable for a professional footballer.

Young men need rope in this crazy modern world, but Ginnivan stretched that rope to breaking point.

It was written last week there was tension between Ginnivan and Collingwood.

His management denied it, and Collingwood as recently as Monday said he would remain a Collingwood player.

Still, as well as twice dressing down Ginnivan publicly, McRae read part of the riot act to him privately.

McRae is a cuddler, but as Nathan Buckley recently noted, McRae is also a fierce competitor.

And competitors want discipline and commitment. When you’re a coach, they want a team-first attitude.

Ginnivan was, friends say, confused by the fallout and clearly it has played a role in him wanting out of Collingwood.

The Valley visit was ticked off by Magpies chief executive Craig Kelly, yet the coach took umbrage.

It might’ve ended there, except Ginnivan and the Valley people took advantage of the negative publicity.

Ginnivan was signed up to be Cox Plate ambassador.

It’s believed he was paid $10,000 for the photo op, of him wearing silks and cradling the Cox Plate trophy.

It wasn’t so much a finger to the coach, but by then it’s safe to assume that Ginnivan didn’t care or consider how the Pies would respond to the “me, me, me” publicity.

And they did.

Coincidence maybe, but Collingwood went after Fremantle’s Lachie Schultz — and landed him — and, guess what, he plays the same forward role as Ginnivan.

Maybe he didn’t read the room when he went to the races, but Ginnivan clearly read the room when Schultz signed.

He is now exploring a possible trade to Hawthorn.

As much as Collingwood was disappointed in Ginnivan for his pre grand final adventure, Ginnivan lost faith after the mixed messages from the Magpies.

And he was piqued by the dressing down from McRae.

Friends say the relationship between Ginnivan and McRae isn’t what it was.

It seems highly unlikely the Pies will strive to keep him.

In some ways, and despite his popularity with teammates and fans, he will now be Hawthorn’s problem child.

And until he pulls his head in and accepts that a professional footballer must have boundaries, he will remain a problem child.

I get there are expectations on footballers and the like - but if Ginnivan’s way of dealing with the nervous excitement of playing in a grand final was heading to the races and having a few bets then what is the issue? Sure, if he got home at 3AM and had a skinful of shots in him that would be a shit move and putting his team last. But if all he did was go to the races for a few hours and then still just went home and had a good night’s sleep and was good to go in the morning what’s the issue? It’s not like he was riding the horses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back