Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's been a lot of chatter that the trade of Smith for a 1 pick upgrade to the Dogs was floated and has come to nothing. Having said that a lot can change on the last day of trading.
Can confirm a variation of this deal was discussed with the dogs. Dogs not keen on a pick slide, believes Watson will be there for them.

I doubt we are trading 4 by itself. Good rumour to put out and would put a fire up Eagles if they were holding out for better deals.

if Eagles don't move quick enough, we may just do the Bailey deal and then Eagles next best offer would be 2 or 3 +15

I hope the Ryan one is among the last to be done if we are considering. If it is done early then everyone else will start asking for the F2 or F1 from that in their deals and stall. Our best option is to give it no oxygen and stay non-committal.

Focus on getting Kosi, Chol & Gini deals done by itself early.

177273d1484b383bdf2dbff64901aed072abfd3a.gifv

Doubt we'd give up our Pick 4 completely. Smith is a good addition, but not at the expense of this draft - bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Well, with a little more than half a day between the chaos, we finally reach the end of this bloody window.

Lads, I truly hope you

Attachez votre ceinture

Cinturón de seguridad

пристегнитесь

Búcla suas

... or otherwise

B U C K L E U P

Ginnivan's 2022 highlights. Not many of these at all were from high frees. Granted he had an ordinary year this year, but makes goals out of half chances.

I don’t know how people aren’t seeing it with this kid. If we can get him for a 3rd rounder we’ve got a steal.

Well, with a little more than half a day between the chaos, we finally reach the end of this bloody window.

Lads, I truly hope you

Attachez votre ceinture

Cinturón de seguridad

пристегнитесь

Búcla suas

... or otherwise

B U C K L E U P

As a really perceptive guy, I am sensing you are telling us something big might happen tomorrow

I don’t know how people aren’t seeing it with this kid. If we can get him for a 3rd rounder we’ve got a steal.
He’s like Chol or even Greene for us. Highlights look good, but does nothing defensively and wants to constantly sneak out the back for easy goals than put in the work to provide a contest.

We already have problems with the ball bouncing out of our f50 very quickly.

As a cheap pick up I can see the appeal, as he kicks goals, but he has a lot he needs to improve.

Written by Robbo

Jack Ginnivan was supposed to be basking in the glory of being a premiership player, yet dark clouds settled over him pretty damn quickly.

Barely an hour after Collingwood’s triumph, coach Craig McRae expressed disappointment in Ginnivan attending the races at Moonee Valley the night before with a mate who had a horse racing.

Ginnivan was at home at the time and with youthful exuberance he thought why not.

McRae doubled down a few days later, albeit he tried to be open-minded.

The coach didn’t nail Ginnivan to the cross, but you have to wonder if he would’ve been so open-minded if the Magpies lost the grand final.

Perhaps then he would’ve had a mallet in his hand.

Ginnivan is an individual, a rascal if you like, in a team environment and coaches frown when they believe an individual has put himself above the team ethos.

Would any other player at Collingwood — or any player at any other club to be frank — venture to the track the night before the biggest game of their lives?

Ginnivan naively thought of himself ahead of the team.

It wasn’t smart. Not even for a young man of 20. At that age, he should’ve known what’s acceptable and not acceptable for a professional footballer.

Young men need rope in this crazy modern world, but Ginnivan stretched that rope to breaking point.

It was written last week there was tension between Ginnivan and Collingwood.

His management denied it, and Collingwood as recently as Monday said he would remain a Collingwood player.

Still, as well as twice dressing down Ginnivan publicly, McRae read part of the riot act to him privately.

McRae is a cuddler, but as Nathan Buckley recently noted, McRae is also a fierce competitor.

And competitors want discipline and commitment. When you’re a coach, they want a team-first attitude.

Ginnivan was, friends say, confused by the fallout and clearly it has played a role in him wanting out of Collingwood.

The Valley visit was ticked off by Magpies chief executive Craig Kelly, yet the coach took umbrage.

It might’ve ended there, except Ginnivan and the Valley people took advantage of the negative publicity.

Ginnivan was signed up to be Cox Plate ambassador.

It’s believed he was paid $10,000 for the photo op, of him wearing silks and cradling the Cox Plate trophy.

It wasn’t so much a finger to the coach, but by then it’s safe to assume that Ginnivan didn’t care or consider how the Pies would respond to the “me, me, me” publicity.

And they did.

Coincidence maybe, but Collingwood went after Fremantle’s Lachie Schultz — and landed him — and, guess what, he plays the same forward role as Ginnivan.

Maybe he didn’t read the room when he went to the races, but Ginnivan clearly read the room when Schultz signed.

He is now exploring a possible trade to Hawthorn.

As much as Collingwood was disappointed in Ginnivan for his pre grand final adventure, Ginnivan lost faith after the mixed messages from the Magpies.

And he was piqued by the dressing down from McRae.

Friends say the relationship between Ginnivan and McRae isn’t what it was.

It seems highly unlikely the Pies will strive to keep him.

In some ways, and despite his popularity with teammates and fans, he will now be Hawthorn’s problem child.

And until he pulls his head in and accepts that a professional footballer must have boundaries, he will remain a problem child.

He’s like Chol or even Greene for us. Highlights look good, but does nothing defensively and wants to constantly sneak out the back for easy goals than put in the work to provide a contest.

As a cheap pick up I can see the appeal, as he kicks goals, but he has a lot he needs to improve.

No way better than both of them! If the kid can be coached, those areas can be improved.

He was a rookie pick small forward. He was always going to be a work in progress. The fact he’s able to impact the scoreboard like he does is a great starting point for any club willing to put the work into developing those other aspects of his game.

I don’t think Collingwood were prepared to invest in him heavily given where their list is at and the distraction his antics were bringing. Makes sense for them to bring in a mature player like Schultz and send Ginnivan off to a club in our position where our coaching resources and environment have been geared towards developing players.

Pretty much needs to rebuild his whole game.
He's an opportunist and loves a goal, but that's not enough.
Puopolo's highlights would be a good study for him.

He's just finished his third year, tracking along really well.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes it pays to wait for the last day of trade period to see what clubs have on offer with pick swaps that may suit us! Once the first trade is finalized the rest will fall. Not really a star studded line up to begin with so no stress

Trade week and the 'Wild West' of Facebook Marketplace aren't that different, from the endless "is he available?" queries, the time-wasting "no shows" and the insulting low ballers. Still, I sold a car yesterday in 2 hours so anything is possible in the marketplace.
Does the owner know yet?

No way better than both of them! If the kid can be coached, those areas can be improved.
Will he end up better than both of them? Probably because the other two aren’t very good.

His defensive work can be improved, but he’s coming from such a low base that it’s unlikely he becomes average defensively. He would pair well with a very defensive forward line but we also struggle there.

I can see the appeal for cheap. I just don’t want any decent picks put into picking him up.

He was a rookie pick small forward. He was always going to be a work in progress. The fact he’s able to impact the scoreboard like he does is a great starting point for any club willing to put the work into developing those other aspects of his game.

I don’t think Collingwood were prepared to invest in him heavily given where their list is at and the distraction his antics were bringing. Makes sense for them to bring in a mature player like Schultz and send Ginnivan off to a club in our position where our coaching resources and environment have been geared towards developing players.
As long as we don’t give up any decent picks for I’m I will be ok with it. As he’s still a risky proposition.

We are definitely focused on development, remains to be seen if Ginnivan wants to do the work though.

The kid kicked 40 odd goals as a 19 year old. Sure, he had a down year and needs some maturing but I personally miss having characters in the game.

If he can mature and grow while getting under peoples skin and kicking 30-40 goals a season, I’d be pretty damn stoked.

Shame he isn’t a pressure forward, we do need one. But we also need all the avenues to goal we can get.

The kid kicked 40 odd goals as a 19 year old. Sure, he had a down year and needs some maturing but I personally miss having characters in the game.

If he can mature and grow while getting under peoples skin and kicking 30-40 goals a season, I’d be pretty damn stoked.

Shame he isn’t a pressure forward, we do need one. But we also need all the avenues to goal we can get.
Yes, this is about price and commitment duration for us.
Ginnivan a risk worth taking on certain conditions.

40 goals, ducking or not, is a bloody great season for a young player.
Even if you write off half of his goals to ducking (?!?), that's still 20 goals a season potential.
I'll take that.

Ginnivan's 2022 highlights. Not many of these at all were from high frees. Granted he had an ordinary year this year, but makes goals out of half chances.

He possesses the ability to kick with both his left and right foot. It appears that the Essendon fans have a strong disliking for him. Personally, I'd be willing to trade a first-round pick for the latter reason alone

Yes, this is about price and commitment duration for us.
Ginnivan a risk worth taking on certain conditions.

40 goals, ducking or not, is a bloody great season for a young player.
Even if you write off half of his goals to ducking (?!?), that's still 20 goals a season potential.
I'll take that.
I wouldn’t want to use next years round 2 pick but your point is well made. In his 5 years with us, wingard has never kicked more than 18 goals in a season.

I doubt we are trading 4 by itself. Good rumour to put out and would put a fire up Eagles if they were holding out for better deals.

if Eagles don't move quick enough, we may just do the Bailey deal and then Eagles next best offer would be 2 or 3 +15

I hope the Ryan one is among the last to be done if we are considering. If it is done early then everyone else will start asking for the F2 or F1 from that in their deals and stall. Our best option is to give it no oxygen and stay non-committal.

Focus on getting Kosi, Chol & Gini deals done by itself early.
Jake Niall was saying yesterday that Eagles aren't going to even consider a trade until the draft order settles. Given no players are slated to be involved, there's no need to do the deal now, and picks are still swapping hands like lollies. They couldn't possibly consider pick 4 until they're certain about who holds picks 2&3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back