Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the language you used mate not your point of view. For instance he won't be "Gifted" those goals at AFL level. I could say the same for Durrsma because when he did play VFL he didn't get gifted any goals or take any marks. They are both very talented. A lot of ppl have their favourites and u can see that in the players in the current Hawthorn team. Some can do no wrong while others are not worthy of a list spot

As an aside i am not hooked on either player. If we get Duursma great if we choose the Wiz also great
I said gifted because if you saw that game two of those goals were from the ball pretty much falling into his lap through no effort of his own.

That aside, I'm not putting down his ability. He's an excellent small forward, the best in this year's draft without doubt and a top-10 pick, but that's all he is.
There's nothing else. If he's having a bad game finding the ball in the fwd half then that's it for him.
If Duursma is playing fwd and having a mare he can be switched to the backline or even midfield - he's not a liability for the rest of that game.

I said gifted because if you saw that game two of those goals were from the ball pretty much falling into his lap through no effort of his own.

That aside, I'm not putting down his ability. He's an excellent small forward, the best in this year's draft without doubt and a top-10 pick, but that's all he is.
There's nothing else. If he's having a bad game finding the ball in the fwd half then that's it for him.
If Duursma is playing fwd and having a mare he can be switched to the backline or even midfield - he's not a liability for the rest of that game.
See i bet you. If you go out there an play 2moro you won't be getting those gifts. The ball won't magically fall into your lap as you say. By the way the wiz has played of half back and pretty recently

Watson has played forward, back and mid to decent effect? Like I said earlier, I’m no expert and I’m probably wrong but wasn’t Duursma very quiet when moved out of the forward line and then shone again when he was moved back into it?

With this talk of a key defender. I’m not sure what it says about Blanck.

Can we play Sicily, Blanck and Esava/McKay? That’s going to leave us very open to fast ball movement and leads.

Melbourne are the only team that makes 3 tall backs work but they also have May and Lever as two of them.
Sicily isn’t slow

Sicily isn’t slow
Sicily isn’t slow but his positioning does leave him open to getting done on a lead as he tries to drop off and guard the dangerous space in our forward 50.

With Blanck and Esava/McKay in the team he’d have to work extra hard trying to block the forwards leading lanes that’s it’s go to leave him more exposed.

Also had in Scrimshaw and we would also have 4 players that aren’t great when the ball hits the ground.

Can we play Sicily, Blanck and Esava/McKay? That’s going to leave us very open to fast ball movement and leads.

Melbourne are the only team that makes 3 tall backs work but they also have May and Lever as two of them.
I don't think it's a question of 'can we'. IMO, we should & need to be.

*certainly doesn't need to be Esava/McKay, but we need a CHB (or FB, freeing up Blanck for CHB).

If what was written today that Brockman is likely to request a move back home is true and WC the most likely club, what could we realistically get for him? I believe a pick in the 20's is about right. I'd prefer him to stay however. If Freo do emerge I'd straight swap him for Henry and maybe a future 3rd rounder going to Freo as well. They are well stocked for small forwards but they are ageing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on Bailey Smith, I find it hard to believe he would really want to go to Geelong to be honest. I understand the Cotton On connection and land package may be the sealer for him but surely it's not hard to see they're going to have a pretty lean period over the next half decade, no?

If he doesn't want to live in Brighton and play for his boyhood team then all the best to him but it's a surprise!

Just on Bailey Smith, I find it hard to believe he would really want to go to Geelong to be honest. I understand the Cotton On connection and land package may be the sealer for him but surely it's not hard to see they're going to have a pretty lean period over the next half decade, no?

If he doesn't want to live in Brighton and play for his boyhood team then all the best to him but it's a surprise!
He is a walk up start in Geelongs midfield.
He isn't in ours. Really good player but I can't see who he pushes out .

So if he wants to move I can see why Geelong would be a better fit for him as far as midfield minutes goes .

Wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at the hawks.

I am not as concerned as others about our draft picks. They usually sort themselves out. These generational players are touted just about every year. Just work with the players you have and build your premiership side. I mean GWS and GCS should have won many premierships by now
100% , far more elements to building a successful consistent team/squad .

People will laugh but I think it hurts having bunches of high picks over consecutive drafts.
These players are used/driven to be the focul point and star and normally struggle play a team/grunt role as a rule .
GWS/GC prime examples
Cant see LDU at North being happy giving up his role against the numerous young high picks coming in through the midfield

The game needs QLD kids playing for big teams in big games at the MCG. That will inspire the QLD kids to pursue AFL when they watch on TV, not going to GC games with 2000 people made up of rent a crowd and family and friends.
Snobbery level through the roof with comments like this.

Clearly you don’t live here, and have 0 knowledge of the participation levels at school, Auskick and grassroots level. These kids are pumped for the clinics the clubs run up here and it’s growing all the time.

Indeed. People seem to forget, ignore or overlook that the Victorian teams, especially the big ones, have a massive historical advantage that tilts the competitive balance in their direction. It is a built in advantage that started forming 100 years ago. No current administrator, player or fan can claim credit for that because they weren't even born when it started.

And no one bats an eyelid when a Victorian gun wants to stay in the AFL but 'return home' to Melbourne. Why wouldn't a kid who grew up in South East Queensland want play in the AFL but stay home too? And if the AFL can't provide that then those talented kids will choose something else like League or worse (see below).

So the Northern Academies compensate for that in built advantage but only partially.

But why bother with Queensland anyway? Why not keep it all contained in Melbourne with a few fly ins from SA and WA (and Tas)? You know, the traditional heartland states that are the true and worthy custodians of the game. Because soccer. 50 years from now our clubs could easily all be soccer clubs. And for the amusement of their fans and as a sop to a few old timers, they'll put on the occasional exhibition matches of 'Aussie Rules'. Our game will become a museum piece unless we strive to keep growing it wherever we can and right now that means Queensland.

Indeed. People seem to forget, ignore or overlook that the Victorian teams, especially the big ones, have a massive historical advantage that tilts the competitive balance in their direction. It is a built in advantage that started forming 100 years ago. No current administrator, player or fan can claim credit for that because they weren't even born when it started.

And no one bats an eyelid when a Victorian gun wants to stay in the AFL but 'return home' to Melbourne. Why wouldn't a kid who grew up in South East Queensland want play in the AFL but stay home too? And if the AFL can't provide that then those talented kids will choose something else like League or worse (see below).

So the Northern Academies compensate for that in built advantage but only partially.

But why bother with Queensland anyway? Why not keep it all contained in Melbourne with a few fly ins from SA and WA (and Tas)? You know, the traditional heartland states that are the true and worthy custodians of the game. Because soccer. 50 years from now our clubs could easily all be soccer clubs. And for the amusement of their fans and as a sop to a few old timers, they'll put on the occasional exhibition matches of 'Aussie Rules'. Our game will become a museum piece unless we strive to keep growing it wherever we can and right now that means Queensland.
All I can say to this is…. garbage. 🚮

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back