Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shinbeggars won’t take Curtain at their 2 picks. They have a very weak list and he’d want out after the 1st season.

This is a game of chicken. No club is going to tell the other who they will take with their picks unless they are certain a deal can be done. Collingwood to Hawthorn 2004 pick 7 to 10 and Bo Nixon. We wanted Lewis they wanted Egan.

RNL, are we still chasing Bailey Smith?

That said we have to be better, more relevant. It is not as though we ain’t got the money.

I am certain that there will be a review post trade period. One of the issues for the club is our relative position on the ladder. I don't know that a club in our position has been so active in seeking so called premium players. This is obviously a factor when there are many clubs that are seen on the up or premiership contenders (Essendon, Port, Collingwood). I know that there is a sense that we can move up the ladder faster than initially thought but from 16th position, we can still take the mainstream path - draft picks and continuing to develop young players.

I am certain that there will be a review post trade period. One of the issues for the club is our relative position on the ladder. I don't know that a club in our position has been so active in seeking so called premium players. This is obviously a factor when there are many clubs that are seen on the up or premiership contenders (Essendon, Port, Collingwood). I know that there is a sense that we can move up the ladder faster than initially thought but from 16th position, we can still take the mainstream path - draft picks and continuing to develop young players.

Thing is, we beat these top clubs and were competitive against most.

Doesn't anybody want to build something from scratch?

I don't know why the AFL want Norf relevant. They have * all fans. They're not a big club and never will be.

The AFL can't afford to have a club stuck at the bottom. Financial viability is a real issue and now that Tasmania will get its own team, they need North to be competitive. It also helps with ratings and TV deals.

i am not too fussed over missing certain players, I just think you need to find ways to add talent. Whether that’s by getting more picks or attracting established talent.

Whether that is through cap management and essentially selling cap space for picks, luring players to the club, getting active with clubs needing points etc.

We have seen a lot of clubs get really creative and benefit from it.

So far the drafting has been very good, we have added some fringe talent as well as Amon. Outside of that it’s been a little disappointing.

I think you need to look at these things over the span of a few years to get a gauge on how the list management team is doing. Everyone is going to swing and miss sometimes, heck probably a lot of the time. But you’d like to see them hitting at a decent enough %.

I don’t think you can build a list largely through the draft unless you are getting multiple quality looks at it each year.

Thing is, we beat these top clubs and were competitive against most.

Doesn't anybody want to build something from scratch?

When all is said and done, we still finished bottom four and we are competing with a contender and premier and Essendon finished just outside top 8. Our footy dept is still young and new so that also probably plays into what is happening which is why we need to have a close look at our performance after the draft.

Shinbeggars won’t take Curtain at their 2 picks. They have a very weak list and he’d want out after the 1st season.

This is a game of chicken. No club is going to tell the other who they will take with their picks unless they are certain a deal can be done. Collingwood to Hawthorn 2004 pick 7 to 10 and Bo Nixon. We wanted Lewis they wanted Egan.
Yep pretty confident of this. I’ve got word North have been into Colby and Duursma for months now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would they drive such an insane deal if they weren’t taking Reid. Just take North’s pick 2 and one or two of their late first rounders and take your guy at pick 2 anyway.
Three picks in the top 20 for WCE this year and next, Norf pick 2 plus say 15 this year and next year pick 19 (secret sauce gift) and WCE get 6 picks inside the top 20 in 2 years. Take that every day. They desperately need players.

The AFL can't afford to have a club stuck at the bottom. Financial viability is a real issue and now that Tasmania will get its own team, they need North to be competitive. It also helps with ratings and TV deals.
Money would be better spent elsewhere if you wanted better ratings and TV deals

Only way Eagles don't pick Reid is if the AFL have come to them with a deal for leaving him.

We know the AFL are hell bent in getting the shinbeggars relevant again
AFL in their infinite financial wisdom want both WCE and Norf to both be relevant, increases TV viewership that's why they gave Norf two picks for next year. They want Norf to share the pick love. Reid goes to Norf, good for the AFL, WCE get more picks, good for AFL. Bums in seats either at the ground or on the couch.

AFL in their infinite financial wisdom want both WCE and Norf to both be relevant, increases TV viewership that's why they gave Norf two picks for next year. They want Norf to share the pick love. Reid goes to Norf, good for the AFL, WCE get more picks, good for AFL. Bums in seats either at the ground or on the couch.
West coast don’t have a problem getting crowds to games in Perth. They are a huge club. History shows they don’t stay down the bottom for long anyway.

i am not too fussed over missing certain players, I just think you need to find ways to add talent. Whether that’s by getting more picks or attracting established talent.

Whether that is through cap management and essentially selling cap space for picks, luring players to the club, getting active with clubs needing points etc.

So far the drafting has been very good, we have added some fringe talent as well as Amon. Outside of that it’s been a little disappointing.

I think you need to look at these things over the span of a few years to get a gauge on how the list management team is doing. Everyone is going to swing and miss sometimes, heck probably a lot of the time. But you’d like to see them hitting at a decent enough %.

I don’t think you can build a list largely through the draft unless you are getting multiple quality looks at it each year.

I agree with you but the problem this trade period has presented is the highly competitive nature given limited resources and, as I have already posted, the club's position on the ladder. What I would like to see is the club have a genuine premium player commit to us so that we can negotiate with one club in good faith. This is the way most deals are done for those types of players. They buy into the club and don't look elsewhere for better offers. Something we struggled with even in the Clarkson years - players like Lynch, Shiel and Coniglio. All of which we were expecting to land but did not.

We have got to to be smarter and more creative. Building back through the draft is a very fine and astute strategy, but it is not the only way it is done and we know it.
We need to be harder, our List Management team if it is constrained needs to make that clear internally, as far as I know it has not.
Currently we are doing a good job drafting but we are not doing all the other things well. We know it. Time we had that honest conversation.

West coast don’t have a problem getting crowds to games in Perth. They are a huge club. History shows they don’t stay down the bottom for long anyway.
Agree, they will bounce back, this way it is faster. TV money is uber important to the coffers at the AFL, WCE wasn't a good look this year the sooner they bounce the better, they can charge more for the advertising when the numbers rise.

It’s never been clearer the media take the negative narrative with us in trades than Jon Ralph’s posts.

For Kosi its about what contract we offered, not what Richmond who are targeting him, offered. No mention of him being a key position player.

For Chol, it is not about what GC offered or that they are pushing him out, it is about what we, who are targeting him offered.

For D’Ambrossio, there suddenly is no mention of contracts, just what Essendon want in a trade (who only offered him a 1 year deal, for a flanker and mid season draft pick).
There was actually an interesting point made by RoCo on the Hawks Insiders Safe Space last night. He said that the media are driven to talk about all this trade stuff so much that the teams that speak to the media more and seen more favorably and spoken about more than the teams who arent. This was said in connection to the fact the media blow smoke up Dodo every year. He said as an Essendon person he is ready for him to go as every year it is always about him and this is because he more than anyone tells the media everything going on (as it is an ego stroke to him) so the media always pump up everything Essendon do.

Sleepy on the other hand is much more a work in silence and only really speak when forced to and not when in negotiations. So Ralphy saying Hawks are being pushed to take a f3 isnt coming from Hawthorn (obviously) it is an angle likely from Brockman agent knowing his client wants to get to West Coast.

So while we as supporters think they are caning the club it is more because they give them nothing so it is reported by likely Richmond that they want a pick in top 25 and Gold Coast that they want a f2 for Chol etc and Hawthorn are sitting back not talking to the media so the side of the story being discussed is of course the side they do get

We have got to to be smarter and more creative. Building back through the draft is a very fine and astute strategy, but it is not the only way it is done and we know it.
We need to be harder, our List Management team if it is constrained needs to make that clear internally, as far as I know it has not.
Currently we are doing a good job drafting but we are not doing all the other things well. We know it. Time we had that honest conversation.

Reckon they know this. The conversation may be due after the trade period. They've still got time to make things happen.

Is there still talk of North trading 3 to Essendon?
Unlikely they will trade that this quick, then the association with McKay compo will be clear. Give it another 2-3 days.

This can come in deep into trade period after FA has closed. Other clubs will have shown their cards.

But hope North flip and show the finger to Dodo even if they had a "deal". What is Dodo going to do. Play hard at next trade? That is their default position, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back