Ultimate Glory 2023 Trade speculation and Shinbeggars discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawks aware of Gunston request, focus on other priorities​

By Jon Pierik​

Hawthorn have been made aware of Brisbane’s Jack Gunston’s request for a trade back to his old club, the Hawks, and will assess the request.
However, they say their focus, as of right now, remains on bigger fish to fry.
“We are engaged in other trade discussions that remain our priority,” the club said.
“These longer term priorities may preclude any discussions with Brisbane progressing.”

Hawks aware of Gunston request, focus on other priorities​

By Jon Pierik​

Hawthorn have been made aware of Brisbane’s Jack Gunston’s request for a trade back to his old club, the Hawks, and will assess the request.
However, they say their focus, as of right now, remains on bigger fish to fry.
“We are engaged in other trade discussions that remain our priority,” the club said.
“These longer term priorities may preclude any discussions with Brisbane progressing.”
usual straight bat. Collingwood did the same last year with Mitchell

D
He is mate hence why we're going hard. It's Bevo and the Dogs that are pushing back. He wants to do the right thing by them though and they get a decent deal out of it. Their play for pick 4 was a plan knowing what was in discussion in the background. They want Watson because he will play straight away so they don't feel the effect as much if Baz leaves. More likely than not at this point we will get him but not over the line by any stretch.
Dogs fans getting pretty narky and spiteful over the potential Smith trade. Really showing their true colors today ....

Hawthorn haven’t been contacted by Jack Gunston despite the forward reportedly pushing for a trade back to the club according to AFL Media’s Josh Gabelich.

The initial report flagging Gunston’s desire to return home emanated from leading journalist Damian Barrett, who says Brisbane are both aware and respectful of his decision.

Gunston joined Brisbane 12 months ago following 11 years at the Hawks where he won three premierships and kicked 410 goals from 211 games.

Gabelich says the Hawks haven’t prepared for any Gunston trade and haven’t even spoken to the 31-year-old who remains under contract at Brisbane for one more season.

“Hawthorn haven't had any contact with Jack Gunston just yet,” Gabelich told SEN Mornings.

“They haven't prepared for this. This has come out of the blue.

Love Gunner, we are all aware of the circumstances that lead him to make the move in the first place, no bad blood.
He is a free playing coach to a young group that doesn’t impact our soft cap. Love it.
DGB has had a few years in the system now, and if Gunner at his age and injury history is keeping him out of the side, that’s on him no one else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Offer F1 for Smith and that’s it.

Talk of dropping back a spot so Dogs can grab the Wiz as part of a deal to get it over the line isn’t good for me. If MM/the club sees the Wiz as a generational player for the next decade why should we be the ones that have to live with the risk of maybe picking up Curtin or McKercher (when Tassie gets up) going back home. It’s the best pick we’ve had in 2 decades! I watched Curtin only last week in an interview say I’d prefer to stay in Perth but would move if I had to.

Given the noise/circumstances around Doggies and Smith in recent times and his well known love for the Hawks …… surely it’s a good chance that the Dogs will accept a F1 so they can finally move on.

Offer F1 for Smith and that’s it.

Talk of dropping back a spot so Dogs can grab the Wiz as part of a deal to get it over the line isn’t good for me. If MM/the club sees the Wiz as a generational player for the next decade why should we be the ones that have to live with the risk of maybe picking up Curtin or McKercher (when Tassie gets up) going back home. It’s the best pick we’ve had in 2 decades! I watched Curtin only last week in an interview say I’d prefer to stay in Perth but would move if I had to.

Given the noise/circumstances around Doggies and Smith in recent times and his well known love for the Hawks …… surely it’s a good chance that the Dogs will accept a F1 so they can finally move on.
What if they dont see him as a generational talent? Could be a Fultz/Tatum style situation from NBA when everyone thought Fultz was the number 1 player, Boston traded the number 1 pick to move back and ended up getting the better player anyways.

BF scouts might have Wiz ahead, doesnt mean MM does

What if they dont see him as a generational talent? Could be a Fultz/Tatum style situation from NBA when everyone thought Fultz was the number 1 player, Boston traded the number 1 pick to move back and ended up getting the better player anyways.

BF scouts might have Wiz ahead, doesnt mean MM does
Of course 👍 no wonder MM has that hairstyle he has …….. looks like he is scratching his head a lot while he is thinking 😀. And I’m a massive fan of what MM and the club have been doing over the last couple years in getting us back

Last edited:
I’m not confident that he ever will. Plus he chose to leave - no hard feelings but he made his decision- we are on a different course now. DGB doesn’t need Gunston helping him next year, Dermott has already been earmarked as his mentor in 24
Yeah, this won’t be popular but I don’t see the point in Gunners returning other than a short sugar-hit. He will not be part of our next contending team so if he helps us win a game or two then it’s 2022 all over again - feels good but doesn’t actually do us good. People will say he’ll mentor young forwards and set examples etc, but he presumably did that in 2022 as well and I’m not sure I saw the ongoing influence across our group in 2023.

I’ll run for cover now…..
All I'll say is that Sam Mitchell went to West Coast as a player and didn't play in their next premiership.

Hawthorn haven’t been contacted by Jack Gunston despite the forward reportedly pushing for a trade back to the club according to AFL Media’s Josh Gabelich.

The initial report flagging Gunston’s desire to return home emanated from leading journalist Damian Barrett, who says Brisbane are both aware and respectful of his decision.

Gunston joined Brisbane 12 months ago following 11 years at the Hawks where he won three premierships and kicked 410 goals from 211 games.

Gabelich says the Hawks haven’t prepared for any Gunston trade and haven’t even spoken to the 31-year-old who remains under contract at Brisbane for one more season.

“Hawthorn haven't had any contact with Jack Gunston just yet,” Gabelich told SEN Mornings.

“They haven't prepared for this. This has come out of the blue.

That sounds very odd... I call BS. The guy isn't going to just declare he's coming back without having had some serious convos with Sam and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back