List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acres, Billings and Dunny were first round picks. Paddy was pick 1 and Goddard a first rounder in the same draft. A midfield and a spine in two drafts. Outstanding work. Also first rounders involved in securing Hickey, Saad and Milera and Tom Lee. Then a high pick for Longer so that McEvoy ended up looking like a bargain in comparison.

Trout and Pelican were disasters. If Toce starts to call himself the Beaver or something we have to sack him immediately.
We should ban the use of Trout to be honest. Too much pain involved. Tyrannical Tony? Empty Elshaugh?

I’m not any kind of ITK but was told to expect up to $3M in cap space being cleared, in terms of the number (and type) of players moved. I imagine it’s inflated by losing overpaid players on prior big deals (e.g Gresham).
Hope we use it to take Bowes type deals to be honest. I’m sure no one will get that again, but we have to gather some good picks.

Why get rid of Bytel? What happens when Crouch goes down with an injury?

Then we all bemoan why did we get rid of Bytel? The kid is on little coin and isn't holding any player out of the best 23 so why not see how he develops when he gets a decent run at it without injury.

Also I didn't think Bytel played that bad on Sunday against North, hopefully gets the rest of the year to see if he can find better form.

Then we all bemoan why did we get rid of Bytel? The kid is on little coin and isn't holding any player out of the best 23 so why not see how he develops when he gets a decent run at it without injury.

Also I didn't think Bytel played that bad on Sunday against North, hopefully gets the rest of the year to see if he can find better form.

Unfortunately the AFL make us keep a minimum list size.
We use M Crouch, or Charlie Constable, or Seb Ross, or someone else we pick up in trade.

Right now Bytel (23 yo) is looking like he's only ever going to be good for depth, and there are better options than him available.
Who would you de-list for the draft?
He's down towards the bottom of my list, but i think he's still more replaceable than Tom Highmore.

Our future midfield of
Windhager, Owens , Phillipou , ........Byrnes doesn't look too bad to me.

Matt Crouch : No trade needed.
Rhys Matheoson: No trade needed.
Charlie Constable : No trade needed.

I love how passionate some people are about being anti Ross, had some old mate sitting behind me all game just shit canning Ross. When Marshall went forward and took a grab the old fella was at full firmness telling everyone near him that he's been calling for Marshall to go forward for 13 weeks and Campbell to come in and ruck.

Old mate must've missed watching Ro play mainly forward the last few years and be pretty ordinary.

Anyway, the brooms are well and truly out for Ross and Co, we're going to see some old fan faves and early picks get moved on. Some guys will get thrown in as steak knives to get us a better pick. We'll take on some salary as well.

The blokes like Billings, Gresh, Membrey etc, all that group around 26-28 that have been our "leaders" through the last decade or so aren't really the leaders we need. And to be fair to them, they haven't been taught how to lead. Geary was the skipper for a large chuck of this time and no disrespect to him, a great clubman and trier, but shit player.

All these guys were gifted games early in their careers because we were so trash and then got the special treatment that comes with being the better players in the club. Easy training sessions, light days and fat pay cheques. They never learnt what a proper preseason meant or how much work they really need to get in.

This new era under Ross will be lead by the younger guys like Max, Windy, Owens etc with Steele, Sinclair, Wilkie around to steer the ship and guide. But the sooner this next generation takes over the steering wheel the better.

As a club, we made horrible decisions with the senior guys we got from other clubs.
Zak Jones is by many accounts, a real arrogant f wit, to teammates and randoms.
Dean Kent just wanted beers
Ryder was fine for some onfield leadership but has some questionable off field behavior and just killed the development of Ro for 3 years
Dougal think's he's a leader but no one on the field respects him and now he's a shell of himself and lost all confidence
Hill's actually been our best one, but you can't overlook the first year or two when the team were instructed to give him round the back handballs as every opportunity and had to put their bodies on the line and then saw Ratts defend Hill for not getting his jersey dirty and critising how the rest of the team gave him the ball. This drove a real wedge in the group for a while.

There's going to be some short term pain over the next 2 years, because Ross and co want picks or young guys that Ross can develop and mould into professional footballers.

Ross looks at Billings, Gresh, Members etc with contempt. In his eyes they aren't "his" players and for what they're paid to what they output, they're massive liabilities to our future growth, so say your goodbyes.

He dropped a sitter, but asides from that he played ok. Reckon he got about 5 minutes in the guts and played mostly wing with a stint in the forward line. Hit up a couple of nice kicks and had some clean hands in tight. Had 1 Cc from 2 cba. I'd give him another year, he has footy smarts and good disposal by hand and foot. Good depth at a minimum on cheap coin and we wouldn't get anything for him. Still young enough to become a decent player

Billings and Membrey could get us something decent if they go and fill a hole in a good team - Membrey as a forward for Melbourne for example.

They'll come out in Jan and say stuff like "this is the hardest pre season I've ever done blah blah blah" and they'll probably put up close to career best years.

But we wont get that out of them, they need to go into a different enviornment where they aren't "leaders" and need to prove themselves.

If they're the "leaders" for another preseason for us we are Fd.

Gresh will always be the same. He loves nose froffs and not hard work.

Billings and Membrey could get us something decent if they go and fill a hole in a good team - Membrey as a forward for Melbourne for example.

They'll come out in Jan and say stuff like "this is the hardest pre season I've ever done blah blah blah" and they'll probably put up close to career best years.

But we wont get that out of them, they need to go into a different enviornment where they aren't "leaders" and need to prove themselves.

If they're the "leaders" for another preseason for us we are Fd.

Gresh will always be the same. He loves nose froffs and not hard work.
I doubt either of them gets us more than a 3rd now unfortunately

Strong disagree.

A contender who believe they're lacking some extra fire power up forward, or a winger/flanker off really pushing will pay for either Tim or Jack.

We as supporters and a club are off them, but other clubs have different needs. We need a clean slate, others are in different positions on the clock.

As fans we love undervaluing our guys when we're off them lol

If Gresham already has a handshake agreement, then it wont affect it.
Compo is based on his draft pick (first round ), age ( young for a free agent ) and new salary.

If he hasn't already got a handshake agreement , who is going to make him an offer the way he's playing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Gresham already has a handshake agreement, then it wont affect it.
Compo is based on his draft pick (first round ), age ( young for a free agent ) and new salary.

If he hasn't already got a handshake agreement , who is going to make him an offer the way he's playing?
Hawks or Blues, maybe Giants but less interest now than previously based on a few guys they've got in recently

Not advocating this, but grabbing a bunch of thirds could assist is acquiring GC's first rounder as they need points.

It would , but you'd need something like our second , and three third round picks, and a fourth to match points with their first.

It would , but you'd need something like our second , and three third round picks, and a fourth to match points with their first.
Currently they are at pick 5 (1878 points) and we are at pick 13 (1212 points). Pick 44 and 47 would total 678 points. So I'm not sure we'd have to part with our second rounder if we acquired two extra third rounders (we'd have our own as well, currently at pick 51 (259 points).

Unfortunately the AFL make us keep a minimum list size.
We use M Crouch, or Charlie Constable, or Seb Ross, or someone else we pick up in trade.

Right now Bytel (23 yo) is looking like he's only ever going to be good for depth, and there are better options than him available.
Who would you de-list for the draft?
Jones isn't going to help us, several big mistakes during the North game.
Gresham can leave if he wants, Saints don't want him.
Clark is slow and doesn't seem to care.
Howard is a spud and we need to make him redundant.
Highmore is behind Wilkie, Battle and Coffield, don't mind him on the list for depth.
He's down towards the bottom of my list, but i think he's still more replaceable than Tom Highmore.

Our future midfield of
Windhager, Owens , Phillipou , ........Byrnes doesn't look too bad to me.
Three out of how many do we need, Collingwood bat real deep when you talk midfielders and you pin your hopes on three. Good start but we need at least another three to be premiership contenders.
Matt Crouch : No trade needed.
Rhys Matheoson: No trade needed.
Charlie Constable : No trade needed.
Why go for Crouch? Or Mathieson? And didn't even realise Constable is still on a AFL list.
Why bring in more of the same type of players that aren't going to take us anywhere for more money than they deserve. To entice both Mathieson and Crouch to come to the Saints it would cost more than what we are paying Bytel.

Out of the three you have suggested I would go Mathieson but only if it doesn't cost anything at all but money.

Nope the amount of Dougal hate on here is unjustified
Don't tell me you're one of those types that drags out the hate word , No one hates Dougie , we just don't rate him as a footballer , surely that's not too hard to understand.
There is a big difference between hate and rate

Currently they are at pick 5 (1878 points) and we are at pick 13 (1212 points). Pick 44 and 47 would total 678 points. So I'm not sure we'd have to part with our second rounder if we acquired two extra third rounders (we'd have our own as well, currently at pick 51 (259 points).

Got ya. Yeah if we cough up our first rounder we can do it. I was trying to find a way of having two first round picks :D

It looks like our first round pick will slide out to 15 or something, and probably not an outstanding mid to draft there, so i don't mind trading it.

Last edited:
Got ya. Yeah if we cough up our first rounder we can do it. I was trying to find a way of having too first round picks :D

It looks like our first round pick will slide out to 15 or something, and probably not an outstanding mid to draft there, so i don't mind trading it.

I mean, trading our first for an improved first in the same year is OK, right?

Jones isn't going to help us, several big mistakes during the North game.
Gresham can leave if he wants, Saints don't want him.
Clark is slow and doesn't seem to care.
Howard is a spud and we need to make him redundant.
Highmore is behind Wilkie, Battle and Coffield, don't mind him on the list for depth.

Three out of how many do we need, Collingwood bat real deep when you talk midfielders and you pin your hopes on three. Good start but we need at least another three to be premiership contenders.

Why go for Crouch? Or Mathieson? And didn't even realise Constable is still on a AFL list.
Why bring in more of the same type of players that aren't going to take us anywhere for more money than they deserve. To entice both Mathieson and Crouch to come to the Saints it would cost more than what we are paying Bytel.

Out of the three you have suggested I would go Mathieson but only if it doesn't cost anything at all but money.

All of them better than Bytel unfortunately.
Constable is on the Gold Coast list.
He can't crack their midfield because they have Miller, Anderson, Hollands etc.
They tried using him in HBF, but it seems that ( like Bytel ) he's not so versatile.

I really wish Bytel would reach his potential, but he seems to be running in place now, and in the end we fill our list with mediocre talent.
I'd be close to thinking to de-list Billings instead if he wasn't contracted.

I mean, trading our first for an improved first in the same year is OK, right?
Absolutely.
As it stands we'd need to trade our first and second, but if we got more thirds instead of the second that could work.

I just hope that GC don't attract a bidding war of clubs after their first.

Nope the amount of Dougal hate on here is unjustified
I tend to agree. For Key Defenders with 10+ games played this year, he's 16th for contested 1v1s per game but has the 16th best loss %.
That is a better % than the likes of Balta, Barrass, Aliir, Lever and De Koning. Once he doesn't play heroball, he is genuinely a good key back

Dougal is pretty good. Underrated around here

The problem is he seems to do one ****ing annoying thing per match at minimum.

I.e. slipping over at a crucial time, trying to sell candy and running himself into trouble, fumbling at a crucial moment, etc.

The other thing is while being a pretty solid defender he doesn't take a lot of intercept marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back