List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know many don't agree with this but the whole nominating a club thing is really ridiculous and inherently flavours the big clubs.

Having said that we haven't been screwed by it that badly compared to Gold Coast and GWS.

The AFL really can’t allow this to continue. As it stands, St Kilda could find themselves in a situation whereby an elite young talent like NWM demands a trade to a side that stripped themselves of all draft currency (Port), making any form of fair trade significantly more difficult. We would be far better off if it were a Free Agency discussion; ironically his lack of FA status is more deleterious to our compensation.

I understand that workplace laws in Australia are (thankfully) rather tough, but surely there is a way to legally allow for the trading of contracted players. Why not make them employees /contractors of the AFL itself, rather than the clubs, so they’re just being required to perform their role at a different worksite (when traded), rather than being re-employed / becoming a contractor at another club.

Minimum draft contract of 4 years with a 5th year team option for 1st round picks. You can be traded wherever whilst in contract, but a Free Agent the first year they’re out of contract.

So is Nas gone? From the outside looking in he seems happy and he’s got mates around him. Also looks like he’s a significant part of Ross’s plans this year. I understand the fact he hasn’t signed at this stage is a bad sign, but is there any other evidence that he wants out?

So is Nas gone? From the outside looking in he seems happy and he’s got mates around him. Also looks like he’s a significant part of Ross’s plans this year. I understand the fact he hasn’t signed at this stage is a bad sign, but is there any other evidence that he wants out?
not publicly

Not sure why as he wasn't even an option for us.
No but he would have been if the rules weren't changed by the AFL

He still came through our system and most of us draft watchers watched him very closely because of that so there will always be an interest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No but he would have been if the rules weren't changed by the AFL

He still came through our system and most of us draft watchers watched him very closely because of that so there will always be an interest
The rules were changed a while ago though. He was never coming to us unless we picked him and then he was gone by our pick anyway.

All good to have an interest in his career but he was never an option for us.

The rules were changed a while ago though. He was never coming to us unless we picked him and then he was gone by our pick anyway.

All good to have an interest in his career but he was never an option for us.
Yep, just two years previously. I'm not having a whinge about it but whether you like it or not it will always be a sliding doors moment that Saints fans will look back on.

Thank for your approval of me being able to have an interest in him though, I appreciate that

Yep, just two years previously. I'm not having a whinge about it but whether you like it or not it will always be a sliding doors moment that Saints fans will look back on.

Thank for your approval of me being able to have an interest in him though, I appreciate that
would of been nice to get him for nothing along with the Pou

Sorry not meaning to sound like I'm having a go I apologise, I just don't think it's much of a sliding door moment as the rules were changed two years previously.

We did pretty well getting two NGAs just as they changed the rules so I think we were actually pretty lucky with it but each to their own.

Sorry not meaning to sound like I'm having a go I apologise, I just don't think it's much of a sliding door moment as the rules were changed two years previously.

We did pretty well getting two NGAs just as they changed the rules so I think we were actually pretty lucky with it but each to their own.
I’m not sure how you can argue we didn’t get unlucky with the timing on it, but it is what it is.

I’m rapt with Owens and Windy. I think if that draft were to go again Windy would likely go top 10.

Anyone that reads my posts on the draft board would also know that I was a massive Phillippou fan all year so I’m more than happy with the outcome.

Would always be nice to get a bit of extra luck though. I think with where our list sits we probably aren’t going to contend unless we do get some.

I said we should ask for him and a first rounder last year. Too late now I guess.
He’s been mentioned a few times on here and people have scoffed at it as though he is a shit kicker.

If he were on our list we’d be very excited about him. He’s a good player.

I’m not sure how you can argue we didn’t get unlucky with the timing on it, but it is what it is.

I’m rapt with Owens and Windy. I think if that draft were to go again Windy would likely go top 10.

Anyone that reads my posts on the draft board would also know that I was a massive Phillippou fan all year so I’m more than happy with the outcome.

Would always be nice to get a bit of extra luck though. I think with where our list sits we probably aren’t going to contend unless we do get some.
Totally agree, we need a bit of luck where a couple of guys either slip through or explode out of nowhere. Every year we cross our fingers but it just never seems to work out....

Here's hoping Phillipou, Windy and Owens (and a few others) are the ones we look back on and say "that was the bit of luck that changed everything".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back