List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been a big fan of Membrey
Coaches might think Caminiti and Sharman are the future or have a ruck/forward in their sights
We can’t keep doing what we have been doing the last few years, I’m happy if we get aggressive in the off season
Maybe RTB and Tim don’t get along who knows
I understand the idea, I just don't think its an aggressive move to get rid of a player like him. Not that I think this'll happen, but an aggressive move would be getting rid of Dougal and bringing in Barrass or something along those lines. Getting rid of Membrey for peanuts isn't aggressive.

Carlton are in win now mode though. If they thin Gresh fills a need they have, why wouldn't they give up pick 12 or whatever they end up with for him?

A rookie doesn't do anything to help them win now
They just wouldn't give up that high a pick for Gresham, he isn't worth it unfortunately. And the benefit of him is that he doesn't cost picks being a free agent.

After Greshams first season I thought he was gonna be like Gary Ablett Jnr good, but he’s obviously not got there. I don’t like to criticise our guys but his disposal and decision making is spectacularly bad and he’s allergic to kicking snap goals outside of 15m. The opposite of what you’d expect from a player like him.
It was obvious by last year that he just wasn't going to change his ways wirh his disposal and decision making which was frustrating, but I was able to let it slide for the amount of good things he was able to do.

Unfortunately he just hasn't been able to fins the footy near enough to do anything spectacular with it.

I understand the idea, I just don't think its an aggressive move to get rid of a player like him. Not that I think this'll happen, but an aggressive move would be getting rid of Dougal and bringing in Barrass or something along those lines. Getting rid of Membrey for peanuts isn't aggressive.
Who said for peanuts 🥜 ?

Feels like there is a fair bit of over valuing of players on here at the moment. Usually when we are happy to move a player on its because they either aren't that good or can't get on the park.

Good example is Clark last year. Yes he's a former pick 7 but missed more games than he played over 2021/22 and was struggling for form.

Now Howard. Think about it people, we've been desperate for a key defender for years so why in the world would we be prepared to trade him? Is it because he's just not a great player? If so how can we expect to get good currency for him?

Nick Coffield hasn't played a game for 2 years. He's uncontracted. We'd be selling him at the very lowest.

Membrey is 30 and his body is letting him down. We may get a very late second (which will be late 30's) off a contender if we are lucky but I wouldn't expect anything more.

It's just really unfortunate for us that Gresham is having his worst season to date as he was the guy that could have got us a top end pick. Fingers crossed the Hawks rumour is true as they'd be willing to pay a decent contract at least.
Howard is likely the only one you listed who could get us anting decent back - and by decent I mean early 30s pick - but that would just be because of how few key defenders are available. But we would need to get lucky.

This one will boil piss.

A while back - I upset the PM group when I said we had an interest in Adam Tomlinson

On SEN they said he's lost the least 1 on 1s of any player in the comp over a long period. Maybe we jumped early.

If we lose Doug for a first, we obviously have Cordy who has played some defence.

But could we trial Hayes or Hammer at full back? Reckon Hammer would be a good long term option.

I still think we're looking at Bing for either forward or defence.

It would be so St Kilda to announce to all that these guys are up for grabs. They leave for peanuts and then end up like Luke Ball and Rhys Stanley 🤣

And just so it's all perfectly clear.

If we lose Gresham to FA
But
Pick up McKay - and for the life of me I'm not sure why considering he seems to miss a third of the year each season.

Then our compensation is then watered down.

It looks as if we are selling quite low here.
We talk about needing more in but we also need depth.

And why get rid of players that could provide depth. But on the other hand get the likes of Jonas, Tomlinson and Silvagni in?

At current it looks like their current teams including 2 Top 4 teams see them as surplus. That doesn't improve us. That helps them.

Gotta get this right. Because if not. We screw ourselves so hard just as the 19th team comes in.
Sounds like McKay is Essendon bound so I wouldn't worry too much about him.

A. He s 29 this year
B. No one's said get rid of him for peanuts, we have no idea what he is worth until offers are made

If it benefits us he is gone
Along with the other names thrown up
Yep. If your aim is a future premiership, then getting extra picks now is probably worth it. If the aim is trying to be as competitive as possible next year, then perhaps the best play is to keep Membrey. But we need to give ourselves a shot - we’ve been doing this scraping the best that we can get of ourselves for years.

If we lose Doug for a first, we obviously have Cordy who has played some defence.

But could we trial Hayes or Hammer at full back? Reckon Hammer would be a good long term option.

I still think we're looking at Bing for either forward or defence.
Interesting you say that on Hammer. I think he could make a super intercepting defender in time. Great hands, good movement, competitive as a mf.

We are not mid table but 5th. Getting better players doesn't keep you mid table and how do we get better when 6 of the top ten in this draft are already taken and there are no highest quality mids by the time our pick comes along?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah, I'm all for building through the draft and think trades have had a nice way of blowing up negatively for us....however this draft is one where the chips look down and most likely further compromised in some abject way (cheers North) If we're in a position to upgrade through GC/GWS kids not getting games, and can move on some of our overrated past coach "guns," with a canny eye set on the future, then this is probably the year to do it.

Relax gents.

Same posters always losing their minds when players are getting mentioned for leaving.

Commonsense goes out the door.
This is precisely why we haven’t improved much for a decade, always overvalue our own players, or hoping potential will finally become reality after 7+ years e.g. Billings, Clarke, too many more to mention

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are floating that a player is gettable then I would be surprised that clubs will offer huge for them.
It would be extremely different if the player turned around suddenly and said I want out to Melbourne and they were still contracted.

I just think to a degree we are selling at a low point.

For the last 13 years trade and draft period has been our most exciting time and we've been ultimately let down. Excuse some of us for being just slightly pessimistic.

Interesting you say that on Hammer. I think he could make a super intercepting defender in time. Great hands, good movement, competitive as a mf.
Hammer, Hayes and Sharman have all showed that they can play at the level at times.

They don't all fit into the same forward line with Max and certainly not with Max and Ben potentially

Just as another potential option down back, Sam Weideman has been moved to the back half for Essendon in the VFL and put up some good numbers the other week

Writing off Membrey is rough

A 30-40 goal a year forward don’t grow on trees.

4th in B&F 2022
3rd in B&F 2021

He gives his all imho

Agreed but he's got to get his shit together.

His VFL form when he's been there this year has been average and his AFL form not any better.

Edit: Wanted to add I seriously rate Membery when he's in form and would be pretty sad if he left us. With that said if the price is right then I would be open to it.

Last edited:
Anyone else just waiting for Gringo to start reading this thread tonight like this….

Fox Tv Popcorn GIF by The Four

Nah, I don't give a **** any more. They are all pretty ordinary and no point in staying the course with Lyon if we hamstring him. Might as well let them go for broke. At Least Lyon's set up seem to know what they are doing.

If we are floating that a player is gettable then I would be surprised that clubs will offer huge for them.
It would be extremely different if the player turned around suddenly and said I want out to Melbourne and they were still contracted.

I just think to a degree we are selling at a low point.

For the last 13 years trade and draft period has been our most exciting time and we've been ultimately let down. Excuse some of us for being just slightly pessimistic.
Or maybe clubs came to us and we set a price - which they have since leaked that he is gettable.

We don’t always have to look at the club as one crying poor or selling low.

Likewise we shouldn’t judge each move on an individual basis. Multiple ways to get what we might want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back