List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess they believe he isn’t worth that.

🤷‍♂️ it’s Essendon.

They don’t believe they injected their own players so…

Yeah, I think you’ve nailed it.

Honestly, they just stuff everyone around. Clubs, Managers and players. Year after year. It looks so sloppy, disrespectful and unprofessional.

So why doesn’t Dodoro remove the bonuses and just roll it into guaranteed income?

Either they want Gresham or they don’t. It’s a binary choice.

It's Dodo, the man doesn't just wish wash a decision and flip, he sits in his chair, has a think, calls 47 journos, they peddle a story, he gets up, stretches, sits back down, calls the club he's dealing with to reiterate same offer. Rinse repeat.

There's a reason why no one really wants to deal with Essendon, and he's the reason. It's why in like a decade they've dealt primarily with;

Carlton
GWS

And literally no one else really, as everyone else just doesn't want to deal with them, period.

Issue is the compensation pick we get.

No value in either pick 21 or 33 for us

Clearly this Shiel injury has stuffed things around

I wonder with all the the media prior to the trade if the AFL havent stuck their noses in the dealings?

Although we would love pick #13 if it costs 700-800k per year we all know deep down he is not worth it. The reason we are forcing him out is his production vs salary, so there is no way we match if thats his asking price. I understand there had been some offer with us taking on Sheil's back ended contract. But Dodoro is the sort of shady fool who is likely to renege on any previous offers.

If its an end of 1st round compensation I think we should take it and move on.

Last edited:
So why doesn’t Dodoro remove the bonuses and just roll it into guaranteed income?

Either they want Gresham or they don’t. It’s a binary choice.
Probably because with Duursma now nominating them they cant actually afford all of these players without giving performance bonuses.
I find it extremely hard to believe a club run as poorly as Essendon has their finances planned so well in advance that they foresaw this coming.

Edit: and with the new injury to Shiel taking him and off the table it leaves that burning a massive hole in their pocket also.

I wonder with all the the media prior to the trade if the AFL havent stuck their noses in the dealings?

Although we would love pick #14 if it costs 700-800k per year we all know deep down he is not worth it. The reason we are forcing him out is his production vs salary, so there is no way we match if thats his asking price. I understand there had been some offer with us taking on Sheil's back ended contract. But Dodoro is the sort of shady fool who is likely to renege on any previous offers.

AFL reps float around to make sure things are on the up and up, that's kind of why when docs get submitted to them it's relatively quick for them to go "yeah this compo" instead of straight being blindsighted by a document about player movement.

Although we would love pick #14 if it costs 700-800k per year we all know deep down he is not worth it. The reason we are forcing him out is his production vs salary, so there is no way we match if thats his asking price. I understand there had been some offer with us taking on Sheil's back ended contract. But Dodoro is the sort of shady fool who is likely to renege on any previous offers.

I don’t think we’re forcing him out. He is exercising his right as a free agent to see what the maximum offer he can get is. This is his last chance at a big pay day. Given that we want to hit the draft it’s a chance to get a first round pick.

Given the compensation already dished out this week, we have every right to be pissed if it's any less than Pick 13.

If the Bombers don't want to cough up, I'd rather trade him to Hawthorn for Pick 25-odd than have that smug prick Dodoro look like he won.

Compensation is based on the guaranteed salary.

So if he has an 800k deal as an example.

But 600k is guaranteed and 200k is made up of bonuses.

We would get band 3
Surely if they were offering him that sort of deal gresham and his manager are dumber than i thought

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably because with Duursma now nominating them they cant actually afford all of these players without giving performance bonuses.
I find it extremely hard to believe a club run as poorly as Essendon has their finances planned so well in advance that they foresaw this coming.

Edit: and with the new injury to Shiel taking him and off the table it leaves that burning a massive hole in their pocket also.
Maybe they weren’t confident with Duursma and they did this inprinciple deal after Gresham’s discussions - who knows? But if they want him more than Gresham, old Gresh might be burned by the Bombas as they cant fit them all in.

Just conjecture.

McKay, Goldstein, Gresham and Duursma is a rather underwhelming influx of talent. And Bombers will be paying top dollar to bring them all in.

This trade period will not progress their desire to advance up the ladder.
Watch the journos give them A+ when they do their trade ratings. In reality if they land all 4 it will just be like shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic. It won't turn them into a finals team.

I don’t think we’re forcing him out. He is exercising his right as a free agent to see what the maximum offer he can get is. This is his last chance at a big pay day. Given that we want to hit the draft it’s a chance to get a first round pick.

Its just a play on words, we dont want to pay him anything like he can as a free agent and neither should we. Clubs cant be paying huge dollars to players who are not top 10 at the club. He is leaving for money and our club knew that when they made him an offer that was no where near what he expected.

Comprehensive article on Billings, his development, career trajectory and trade possibility.
Some interesting tidbits in there but also some odd stats from the past two seasons used in 'best and worst seasons' comparisons.

3 games this season, non-consecutive.
8 in 2022, one of which was 1% game time, another less than a half. Divide the stats by 6.3 instead of 8 and you've got 21 D, 7 marks, 3 tackles, nearly a goal / game… on par with his best season.

No doubt he'd be way out of touch and confidence with the kinds of injuries he's had.

I'm just not sure why the expectation of form is linear, he had a day out when he kicked 5 goals, why would that be the benchmark? Josh Bruce kicked 10 goals in a game, I reckon 2 / match would be the benchmark.

Maybe his body just isn't made to withstand AFL, but he could be a bargain for a new club on the average salary reported.

Mason Wood played 18 games over the 2020 and 2021 seasons, kicked 10.4, averaged 9 disposals, 3 marks, 2 tackles. Has virtually doubled all of those numbers with his body in good nick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back