Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

St Kilda coach Ross Lyon has launched a tirade against the AFL, declaring officials had “abdicated their responsibility” when it comes to junior development.
The long-time coach then went on the attack over rival clubs’ access to young talent and that club-based academies be shut down in favour of ones run by the league, as changes to the draft system loom.
Declaring his Saints as one of the teams that had “least benefited” from the growth in club-run academies - with access to talent lost and complicated by a convoluted points system - Lyon said he would be a “loud voice” in the ongoing debate.
, had essentially set up recruitment “zones” again, a system the league abandoned when it first created the draft.
“Clearly, we just want fairness, so if you know it’s unfair, which the AFL knows it is, why perpetuate unfairness and inequity?” Lyon said.
“I’ve been around a long time, and it used to be zones and you harvest your zones. There used to be inequality in zones, less productive zones … it was luck of the draw.
“They got rid of zones and made it one big pond to grab players out of, everyone could fish in the same pond.

“Then the AFL took over talent pathway, which is great. But for whatever reason, they abdicated their responsibility on academies in each state and thought clubs could do it better.

“We’ve actually created zones again. They are almost like state zones.”
Lyon said he sent the same message to AFL boss Andrew Dillon earlier in the year, telling him to abandon club zones as the only way to enable unfettered access for all clubs to players and create the equality they seek.
“I put it on the table with Andrew Dillon at a dinner earlier in the year with coaches,” he said.
“We lost an incredible amount of good coaches through Covid that would be easily picked up, know how to farm talent and develop talent in academies that would be run out of the AFL - then everyone could fish from the same pond,” Lyon said.
“I like the idea of development, but as the club which has least benefited, and therefore experiences the least fairness, we are a loud voice at the table. I still think the academies should be run out of the AFL, the gatekeeper of the game and talent.
“Ultimately, over a fair period of time head office had abdicated its responsibility to drive that talent pathway.”

Lyon also noted that clubs were “mature” enough to handle rivals actively seeking to lure players, amid reports Hawthorn coach Sam Mitchell called off-contract Saints utility Josh Battle to talk through an offer from the Hawks.

poster-fallback.png
They got Windhager and Owens for nothing.

Teams in for the weekends Nationals games

Saturday 12.30PM AEST WA vs Vic Country Revo Stadium Claremont WA

Couple of big ins for Vic Country exciting GWV Rebel big bodied mid Sam Lalor and GWV Rebel Key Position Forward Jonty Faull.

VC vs WA.PNG

Sunday 10.35AM AEST SA vs Vic Metro Alberton Oval SA
Final game for both teams

SA vs WA.PNG

1st quarter done...very greasy conditions.

Vc 2.2 14
WA 1.2 8

Urquhart for WA again getting plenty of it but a bit untidy with his disposal, brother of Daniel C underager Cody Curtin quite impressive down back. Dahing defender Tibie Travalgia and Ollie Warburton both good for VC.

1st quarter done...very greasy conditions.

Vc 2.2 14
WA 1.2 8

Urquhart for WA again getting plenty of it but a bit untidy with his disposal, brother of Daniel C underager Cody Curtin quite impressive down back. Dahing defender Tibie Travalgia and Ollie Warburton both good for VC.
Do you know if the Warburton is from Shepperton

Half time
VC 5.6 36
WA 4.2 26

VC dominating everywhere basically but not putting it on the scoreboard VC 28 to 12 inside 50's
Langford,Travaglia, Lindsay going well for VC, surprisingly Sam Lalor playing mostly forward to half time where he's been busy, I would think surely he'll move into the nidfield in the last half. Lachie Jaques quite impressive with his composure, agility and effective foot skills down back likely catching recruiters eyes. Archer Day-Wicks finally showing why he was so highly rated coming into 2024.

For WA Urquhart very quiet that quarter, Bo Allen, Boxshall and Curtin doing well, newcomer indigenous small forward Wesley Whalley has looked dangerous when involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

VC run out winners 11.11 77 to WA 9.12 66

Mid/Half Back Xavier Lindsay best on for mine across 4 quarters, has to be just about the best kick in this draft IMO, can really hurt the opposition with his precise delivery.

18 disposals 11 kicks 7 hballs @94.4%DE, 8 clearances.

No doubt about it this is a very deep draft talent wise....another very high quality contest.

VC run out winners 11.11 77 to WA 9.12 66

Mid/Half Back Xavier Lindsay best on for mine across 4 quarters, has to be just about the best kick in this draft IMO, can really hurt the opposition with his precise delivery.

18 disposals 11 kicks 7 hballs @94.4%DE, 8 clearances.

No doubt about it this is a very deep draft talent wise....another very high quality contest.
How did Lalor play in the second half?

FWIW, here's my crack at a best 22 for 2025, incorporating some draft and trades

Rachele Fog Rankine

Thilthorpe Walker Pedlar

Cook Dawson Milera

Hinge Worrell Murray

Laird (for experience) Butts Nankervis

O'Brien Soligo Michaelany

Kaeys Curtin Dowling Draper

EMG: Jones, Crouch, Schoenberg, Welsh, Keane, Scholl, Gollant, Himmelberg, Smith, Hamill, Berry, Murphy

I'm not saying the coaches are immune from criticism, but it's a decent 22 when you're not carrying so many injuries.

List needs IMO:

1. Dominant key back - Petty via trade? I'm not convinced by him.
2. Midfielders - Rankine, Michaelany, Draper and Dowling is decent support for Dawson and Soligo, but still needs more quality.

If you can land Draper, Welsh and a mature player ala Lukosious or Petty and only spend 2 first rounders that'd be a good outcome IMO
Interesting that everyone is now seeing Max as a midfielder.. I was laughed at 3 months ago when I suggested he was an elite big bodied mid of the future.. I will stick with my observations btw...

Interesting that everyone is now seeing Max as a midfielder.. I was laughed at 3 months ago when I suggested he was an elite big bodied mid of the future.. I will stick with my observations btw...
Personally I see him as gun defender, but have no issue trying him in the middle.

Would prefer us to give our young midfielders a decent crack in the middle.

Wonder whether a trade for Roos first could be on the cards. Not sure what extra we’d have to give up though, especially if they finish last. Best outcome would be them continuing current form and rising a spot or 2.
We can give them Ned, Murphy and our future 1st for their 1st and some backend change 😉

You know what posters on here want and who the club should have drafted are two separate things, there’s maybe half a dozen junior watchers on this board.

In comparison to a team of paid professionals with all the info they need, then it comes down to their drafting abilities and judgement, both which clearly suck when it comes to top end talent, there is an abundance of evidence to support that.
And the elephant in the room.. when they get to Radelaide we don't know how to develop them anyways

Remove this Banner Ad

Back