Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

🙋‍♂️🙆‍♂️

:D:fire:
We did at our original pick hey

Think our mate the sadly departed Jeffcrowe was pretty keen too?

He liked Will Graham and I Kane McAuliffe with later picks, both looking great picks at this point

You're taking the piss yeah? Otherwise.
What utter bull, you couldn't have found a worse comparison if you tried, Draper has speed, agility and dare that NVB could only dream about. Just one of the outstanding midfield prospects in this midfielder laden draft. When you have a lad like Zak Johnston hardly rating a mention that tells you how deep this draft runs midfield wise.
Nah, not taking the piss. Blind handballs and long bombs. I didn’t see him hit one clean disposal. I don’t care if he has pace - he does not look like a top 10 talent to my eye.

Do not want - bookmark it.

Butters we were rumoured to be interested in, but people weren't clamopuring for him becauyse he'd had some injuries.

Caldwell was only focused on Victoria.

Duursma I don't remember anyone being interested in, and he was traded for less value than the pick used to get him.

O'Halloran people weren't into.

Serong was considered too small, as we were going through a "the Crows midfield is just short people" phase.

Day was uinder tyhe radar for most, but the SA watchers liked the look of him.

Flanders people wanted.

NWM - were people really saying him instead of Rachele? Some didn't want Rachele, but I don't remember NWM getting much buzz for that early pick, even after it came out he was our next choice.

Wilson - yeah, a few wanted Wilson. Don't think anyone wanted him that early?
You know what posters on here want and who the club should have drafted are two separate things, there’s maybe half a dozen junior watchers on this board.

In comparison to a team of paid professionals with all the info they need, then it comes down to their drafting abilities and judgement, both which clearly suck when it comes to top end talent, there is an abundance of evidence to support that.

Zac Butters, Jye Caldwell, Xavier Duursma, Xavier O'Halloran, Caleb Serong, Will Day, Sam Flanders, NWM, Darcy Wilson.
that list is players who were either not really mids pre-draft (nwm still isn’t) or players who no one was super excited about before the draft

Maybe Serong the exception, but I don’t remember anyone falling over themselves about him pre-draft

I’m not saying we have drafted well, we clearly have not - just that our timing has been wrong (tt draft) or our picks just a little too late (eg Macasey draft) to get the truly hyped mids - Anderson/rowell/jhf/ocallaghan/reid types, all of whom had huge pre-draft hype

You know what posters on here want and who the club should have drafted are two separate things, there’s maybe half a dozen junior watchers on this board.

In comparison to a team of paid professionals with all the info they need, then it comes down to their drafting abilities and judgement, both which clearly suck when it comes to top end talent, there is an abundance of evidence to support that.

Just remember that (paid football club employee) Hamish Ogilvie's first round draft record is no better than the free power rankings on AFL.com.au from Cal Twomey

Yes indeed, no more premium picks on defenders and 'hard working mids with good characters'. Those picks need to be for mids with speed and skill, forwards who kick bags of goals, game changers, difference makers.
This why I think if we still have the #4 pick I would take Jagga Smith. Pace and talent in abundence along with goal kicking.

I have not too much knowledge of the prospects. However, following Mutineer 's comments, I watched a clip of Lalor.
I want badly! Just the type we need.
Jagga Smith is more damaging IMO and he gets totals in the 30s as well. He also kicks goals. Lalor is good, would be nice to get both somehow. Sid Draper reminds me of so many of our mids now the way he does those loopy handpasses. I don't want more of those in the team.

Jagga Smith is more damaging IMO and he gets totals in the 30s as well. He also kicks goals. Lalor is good, would be nice to get both somehow. Sid Draper reminds me of so many of our mids now the way he does those loopy handpasses. I don't want more of those in the team.
You need to watch a lot more of Sam Lalor than you obviously have at this point.

You need to watch a lot more of Sam Lalor than you obviously have at this point.
Question, legitimate question

We are very very likely to have pick 4 or 5 (excluding academy & F/S picks). We are very likely in the hitting zone for 1 of Draper or Jagga Smith so assume we take one of them.

Would you look at live trading our F1 (which clubs may well view as a bottom 6 pick next year) to grab Lalor on draft night if there was a chance we could do that with a willing club? He might be in the back half of the top 10

I would be going hard for any of North, West Coast or Richmond’s 2025 firsts yes. Probably wait until the 2025 offseason to do so though. Gotta take the elite mid in the top 5 this year. More future pick trading options next year to entice a club into trading a Sharp pick to us.

It’s also entirely possible that we finish 13th-16th in 2025, and that Sharp ends up ranked in the pick 3-6 range, which would mean our own incompetence would eliminate the need for such a trade. Lol

What are we giving up for one of those picks? And by that - would happily give up a F1 but those clubs are going to want to bring picks forward as well - not push back

The only clubs that may trade a first too is for a future are ones that can expect likely upside - so a side 4-8 on the ladder that can see themselves potentially grabbing a top 5 pick

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had some good chats a PMs didn’t have an issue far worse are still here
Driven off by a couple of posters that can't let it slide and always have to keep on and on over the same thing and always have the last say.

Driven off by a couple of posters that can't let it slide and always have to keep on and on over the same thing and always have the last say.
Chose to leave, he wasn’t driven off. Jeff was a good poster but spent the preseason bagging any negative posts about Murphy, Murphy then showed exactly why he was bagged and rather than stick around he left.

You defend Hamish and your boys, no one knows why, but you choose to stay even though you can now see exactly why Hamish has been bagged, we are reaping his shit drafting.

Chose to leave, he wasn’t driven off. Jeff was a good poster but spent the preseason bagging any negative posts about Murphy, Murphy then showed exactly why he was bagged and rather than stick around he left.

You defend Hamish and your boys, no one knows why, but you choose to stay even though you can now see exactly why Hamish has been bagged, we are reaping his shit drafting.
I mean I can tell you for a fact that isn’t why he didn’t stick around

Nah, not taking the piss. Blind handballs and long bombs. I didn’t see him hit one clean disposal. I don’t care if he has pace - he does not look like a top 10 talent to my eye.

Do not want - bookmark it.
Totally agree. The most overrated player in this draft. Poor disposal, often chooses the wrong option. Looks rushed to me. Hard pass. Especially at our likely pick.

Butters we were rumoured to be interested in, but people weren't clamopuring for him becauyse he'd had some injuries.

Caldwell was only focused on Victoria.

Duursma I don't remember anyone being interested in, and he was traded for less value than the pick used to get him.

O'Halloran people weren't into.

Serong was considered too small, as we were going through a "the Crows midfield is just short people" phase.

Day was uinder tyhe radar for most, but the SA watchers liked the look of him.

Flanders people wanted.

NWM - were people really saying him instead of Rachele? Some didn't want Rachele, but I don't remember NWM getting much buzz for that early pick, even after it came out he was our next choice.

Wilson - yeah, a few wanted Wilson. Don't think anyone wanted him that early?
Oh right...you're talking about whether supporters were into these players? I was talking about recruiters, who all knew these guys well, they were all early picks (Duursma, Wilson and O'Halloran went later 1st round).

The point I was replying to was that there were no exciting mids available when we had our picks - there clearly were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back