Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the look of Sam Lalor for our pick 4. A big bodied midfielder who can go forward and influence a game would be the ultimate acquisition.

I'm sure Draper will be a very good player and being South Australian, I'd be happy if we get him, but he seems to me quite similar to Soligo in style of play. I also think Zac Taylor looks the goods who is in a similar mould. We can't go wrong adding another of these types, but the point of difference Lalor displays has me hoping we call his name out on draft night.

I like the look of Sam Lalor for our pick 4. A big bodied midfielder who can go forward and influence a game would be the ultimate acquisition.

I'm sure Draper will be a very good player and being South Australian, I'd be happy if we get him, but he seems to me quite similar to Soligo in style of play. I also think Zac Taylor looks the goods who is in a similar mould. We can't go wrong adding another of these types, but the point of difference Lalor displays has me hoping we call his name out on draft night.
To be honest, i don't think we will lose out with any of Lalor, Draper, Smillie, FOS, Smith. They all look good to my eye and will add to our midfield in a good way

To be honest, i don't think we will lose out with any of Lalor, Draper, Smillie, FOS, Smith. They all look good to my eye and will add to our midfield in a good way
It's exciting to think we are in the sweet spot in the draft where we get a guaranteed gun mid. Often they're ready to go in their first season too. Fingers crossed.

To be a good club we have to get over this “take any SA boy we can get” attitude. If we’re still scared that interstate guys will go home, then we haven’t made our club a place where players want stay - poor culture. Port does it pretty well, why can’t we?
For the top picks, the vic metro go home factor is real.

Other than that, the go home factor isn't enough to outweigh best available And certainly not enough to reach for an SA kid at our pick.

Yes, but we have to start changing that. Otherwise it’s Draper or bust attitude in this draft- let’s be more objective and build our team with the best talent from anywhere and reinforce a winning culture to them. Draper may be our best option, but don’t just get him because he’s SA. Imagine the top EPL teams just recruiting local lads, they’d be relegated quick smart.

Deep defense is a must. If they cant beat Dixon in an aerial marking contest they have no right being in our best 22.
Going forward every team is going to need a kpd capable of at least halving a contest with the likes of a Sam Darcy.
He scares me next year. One of these flexible basketball types who can air step .

FOS is probably the one I haven't seen much of. Looks a great ball user, but thoughts on his ability to get contested ball and breakaway?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Smillie would be much of the same. Genuine clanger merchant at times. Could also end up being Crippa/Green 2.0 but need wayyyy more class on the outside to get the most out of a player like him.

FOS is probably the one I haven't seen much of. Looks a great ball user, but thoughts on his ability to get contested ball and breakaway?
The fact he's still in pick 1 contention after having hardly played this season should tell you the answer to that....also very good overhead and certainly one of the best mids in this draft with that particular ability.

I think Smillie would be much of the same. Genuine clanger merchant at times. Could also end up being Crippa/Green 2.0 but need wayyyy more class on the outside to get the most out of a player like him.
Also not overly strong overhead considering his height advantage over most of his opponents. Certainly nowhere near the ability overhead of Sam Lalor, Finn O'Sullivan and Harvey Langford in that regard.

Last edited:
FO'S and Lalor should both be ranked higher than Draper in terms of what Adelaide actually need in the midfield.

We need bust speed and power but we also need great footskills and cool under pressure a good decision maker

I agree that the Lalor v Draper is similar to Dangerfield v Ebert.

It's almost the most interesting pick we've had, there are so many options as the talent is so even at the top of the draft, nothing is clear cut

I’d be surprised at this point if FOS or Jagga isn’t Richmond’s choice for #1

Draper to WC at 3, too

Dunno about North, realistically they probably could do with a Lalor type, but they could go a number of different ways

FOS/Lalor/Draper in the first three picks is probably worst case scenario, though I’d still be okay with Smillie or Jagga in that situation

Also not overly strong overhead considering his height advantage over most of his opponents. Certainly nowhere near the ability overhead of Sam Lalor, Finn O'Sullivan and Harvey Langford in that regard.
Look on the bright side, at pick 4 (assuming we hold that and take it to the draft), we are in the frame for one of smith, FOS, Draper, Lalor at that pick if we didn't rate smillie that high.

Another thing to consider is on draft night, if the top end gets muddied and a bolter gets picked in the top 3, do we trade down a couple of spots with a club that might really want say Smiilie? And grab an extra pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back