Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

we will end up above st Kilda on the ladder, they'll get an extra 1st for Battle and we will get f***ed again. And our pick will then the 8th pick after F/S and academies etc. Draper will go at 6 or 7, and although we really want him, we will still get our 'preferred' player at 8. A versatile defender from a good family. So predictable.

I see a lot of people wanting small forwards but we need mids. We need to find the best mid available to us in the top 10. No question. A small forward I dont think is even in our top 3 drafting priorities.

Dowling is going to be a good mid for us, Taylor and Soligo are going to be a good mids in the rotation but we need another quality premier mid. Before we know it Dawson is going to age out, so any mid drafted now will only be in their early 20s by the time Dawson retires. Only way to find one in a lottery is to draft plenty of them.
Midfield depth
Dawson, Rankine, Soligo, Dowling, Taylor, Berry, Rachele, Pedlar, Curtin, Edwards, Schoenberg (Plus Laird and Crouch)

Small Forward Depth
Rankine, Rachelle, Pedlar

All of our 'small forwards' are also midfielders. We don't have a genuine small forward on our list other than Rankine. who is also our most damaging mid option. Pedlar and Rachele are more your mid sized forwards in my opinion. If we could add a Bobby Hill type player to our forward group that would be a huge addition.

I 100% agree we should be taking a mid with our first pick, but small forward is also definitely a need for us. Our other needs are ruck, tall forward and running half back.

Yet another highlights package of Draper showcasing his suspect/rushed disposal. Just don’t understand this board’s fascination with him.
And I just don't understand your continued shitcanning of an absolutely genuine talent.

Last edited:

I see a lot of people wanting small forwards but we need mids. We need to find the best mid available to us in the top 10. No question. A small forward I dont think is even in our top 3 drafting priorities.

Dowling is going to be a good mid for us, Taylor and Soligo are going to be a good mids in the rotation but we need another quality premier mid. Before we know it Dawson is going to age out, so any mid drafted now will only be in their early 20s by the time Dawson retires. Only way to find one in a lottery is to draft plenty of them.
Nobody I can see is suggesting using a 1st on a small forward, from what I'm seeing there is only one small forward at this point with 1st round claims Murray Bushrangers Joe Berry.

If we draft a 17/18 yo they wont be a prime mid until they reach 23/24 4-5 years away and surpass 50 games. Guess who ages out of our side by the time that happens, Crouch, Laird and Dawson. Rankine, Berry, Soligo, Rachele, Dowling, Taylor, Edwards then who? We need planning. Thats why you have a draft in the first place. Take the opportunity to find and elite mid, who may even come on sooner. Imagine the depth we can move on to the flanks and wings.
4-5 years to surpass 50 games? You think Nicks will still be the coach but he did fast track Soligo as a midfielder. I don't see Laird as part of the midfield next year when Crouch return and more than likely Berry will be traded.

4-5 years to surpass 50 games? You think Nicks will still be the coach but he did fast track Soligo as a midfielder. I don't see Laird as part of the midfield next year when Crouch return and more than likely Berry will be traded.
This is going to end up another Thommo over Lyons situation.

Maybe he is, but you should actually address his substantive point regarding disposal.
I don't know how much actual game time that poster has watched of Sid Draper over the last 2 years but whilst Sid might not be in the elite ball user category (how many inside/outside mids are) he's most certainly not a ball burner as that poster would have you believe. Looking at the whole package he's absolutely in the top 2 or 3 prospects in this draft to my eye, speed, agility, elite balance of inside/outside to his midfield game, two way gut runner, loves a tackle and good defensively as well as his elite attacking mode.

What 3 things are the most important in a midfielders kit bag aside from finding the footy which he also has in spades?

Hint...
Speed, agility and endurance.

20m Sprint​

PLAYERSANFL CLUBTIME (SECONDS)
Tyler WelshWoodville-West Torrens2.92
Taylor GoadSouth Adelaide2.92
Will RowlandsNorwood2.92
Jacob NewtonNorwood2.93
Sid DraperSouth Adelaide2.94
Harley BarkerSturt2.94
Jules PiroSturt2.95
Pat TooleWoodville-West Torrens2.95
Oscar TalbotWest Adelaide2.95
Joel CartwrightSouth Adelaide2.96

Agility Test​

Sid DraperSouth Adelaide7.80
Jonty KoehneWest Adelaide7.92
Judd HansenWest Adelaide7.99
Logan EvansNorwood8.02
Ben HoganNorwood8.09
Jaylen SochackiWest Adelaide8.09
Harley BarkerSturt8.13
Darcy HudsonWoodville-West Torrens8.13
Dyson SharpCentral District8.14
Nicholas SchroderSouth Adelaide8.17

Yo-Yo Test​

PLAYERSANFL CLUBLEVEL
Josh KosterNorth Adelaide21.7
Nicholas SchroderSouth Adelaide21.6
Beau RyanCentral District21.6
Sid DraperSouth Adelaide21.5
Riley McDonaldCentral District21.5
Anders McShaneGlenelg21.5
Zac SchwarzWoodville-West Torrens21.5
Connor MillsSturt21.4
Isaiah ClothierGlenelg21.4
Harry DoddWoodville-West Torrens21.4

What 3 things are the most important in a midfielders kit bag?

Hint...

20m Sprint​

Will RowlandsNorwood2.92
Jacob NewtonNorwood2.93
Harley BarkerSturt2.94
Jules PiroSturt2.95

Agility Test​

Logan EvansNorwood8.02
Ben HoganNorwood8.09
Harley BarkerSturt8.13

Yo-Yo Test​

PLAYERSANFL CLUBLEVEL
Connor MillsSturt21.4
Josh Koster... any relation to Kym?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great summary, and agree with all of this.

My guess is that Himmelberg will still go to GWS, and that we'll get a token pick for him, so as to not affect an UFA compensation if Cummings or Perryman walk out the door.

Also agree that this is draft to hit. Just remember that in the last super draft (2018) a few clubs (most notably Port Adelaide) made some tough list decisions to move up in the draft, or get some additional picks in.

Outside of Himmelberg and Keane, I really don't see much other trade bait, aside from maybe Berry & Gollant?

None of those besides Keane are realistically going to net us much, and anyone else you could surely file under 'delist'

Parnell & Sloane are looking like the only guaranteed list changes this year.
Do we look at trading Berry if Pies are interested and what to cough up something decent? I like the bloke as much as any Crows fan and want him to succeed here. But if you look at our side that beat saint kilda over the weekend we still have the following sitting outside the 22:
  • Rankine
  • Curtin I am assuming/hoping here that we switch on and develop him as the next Bont/Cripps as an inside mid that can rest forward and kick goals
  • Matt Crouch

The way I see it, is inside mids are probably the easily replaceable, and generally the quickest to develop and have an impact at AFL level. If Matt Crouch can continue the form he showed prior to his shoulder injury, then why not just continue to use him as our inside midfielder and develop Curtin, and trade Berry. As Crouch and Laird start to phase out of that inside mid role in the next 2-3 years, hopefully the likes of Curtin, Dowling, Soligo etc + 2024 First rounder are all ready to take the reigns.

If it is indeed a super draft and there's plenty of talent on offer, it makes sense from a list management perspective to trade Berry now assuming we get good value for him, and continue to use Crouch as the stop gap. Crouchy is still only turning 30 next year and his form warranted selection in almost any current side across the AFL, so its not like we're sacrificing anything other than having to let Berry go.

We really, really need to start finding some small forwards to make sure Rankine/Rash get good midfield time, and a ruck obviously.

I know this is going to be a hot take and I agree I need to watch more but Smillie didnt impress against VC or the Academy game

I mean he looks like he has some great traits - and I admit the hair gave me this vibe - but I felt a Rory Sloane vibe

Good hands precise delivery

Yes he will have a great career 10+ years but I'm not sure he will be the best in his draft class

There I said it

And I just don't understand your continued shitcanning of an absolutely genuine talent.
Apologies if I’m coming across as harsh on the kid. I wish him well. I just don’t understand the fixation on him given, to my eye anyway, his obvious deficiencies. We tend to overhype SA lads here. We did it with his brother Arlo and team mate Roberts, many on this board calling for them at our first pick/s.

I’m still trying to find a passage of play where I think “gee, Sid is classy”. Constant hand balling to players under pressure, doesn’t kick many goals and his kicking is questionable.

He is however a good runner, is speedy and knows how to find the footy. Which I think inflates his value.

Of course, I won’t lie and say I’ve seen more of him than you have. So perhaps I’m misinformed. I can only go on what I see.

What 3 things are the most important in a midfielders kit bag aside from finding the footy which he also has in spades?

Hint...

20m Sprint​

Will RowlandsNorwood2.92
Jacob NewtonNorwood2.93
Harley BarkerSturt2.94
Jules PiroSturt2.95

Agility Test​

Logan EvansNorwood8.02
Ben HoganNorwood8.09
Harley BarkerSturt8.13

Yo-Yo Test​

PLAYERSANFL CLUBLEVEL
Connor MillsSturt21.4
Didn’t Chayce Jones test similarly? You can have all the physical traits in the world and still fall over if you don’t use the ball well or make the right decisions under pressure. Dylan Shiel the perfect example.

Didn’t Chayce Jones test similarly? You can have all the physical traits in the world and still fall over if you don’t use the ball well or make the right decisions under pressure. Dylan Shiel the perfect example.
If you want the best kick in a midfielder then Xavier Lindsay is your guy, precise left foot and dual sided though by preference he'll always go with the left.

I’m still trying to find a passage of play where I think “gee, Sid is classy”. Constant hand balling to players under pressure, doesn’t kick many goals and his kicking is questionable.

He is however a good runner, is speedy and knows how to find the footy. Which I think inflates his value.
I dont think these are unreasonable but I do think you might be conflating workable issues

I too question his handball out of the pack but that can be moderated with better coaches and structures. I also havent seen a 2 sided player when kicking - again not a major issue but one to note - his kicking otherwise is fine

But speed and finding the ball is innate

Hint...

20m Sprint​

Will RowlandsNorwood2.92
Jacob NewtonNorwood2.93
Harley BarkerSturt2.94
Jules PiroSturt2.95

Agility Test​

Logan EvansNorwood8.02
Ben HoganNorwood8.09
Harley BarkerSturt8.13

Yo-Yo Test​

PLAYERSANFL CLUBLEVEL
Connor MillsSturt21.4
Skill and footy IQ for me. Give me another Jake Soligo any day.

I need to see more of draper to say whether he's got good footy iq. Quite a few people who've watched him a lot say he has it.

What would Benny Barrett be? A pick in the 30s? 20s?
Later than that I'd think given he really didn't get a fair crack by Bamford at the Nationals unless Port take him with their 1st, according to draftguru they only hold pick 32, 50 and 86. My guess is they'll be hoping he gets through to the rookie draft where he'd be an absolute steal IMO. If I was ranking small forwards in this draft I'd go 1. Joe Berry, 2. Benny Barrett, 3. Isaac Kako, 4. Malakai Champion, 5. Rhys Unwin, 6. Evan Bradley but that's just me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back