Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Later than that I'd think given he really didn't get a fair crack by Bamford at the Nationals unless Port take him with their 1st, according to draftguru they only hold pick 32, 50 and 86. My guess is they'll be hoping he gets through to the rookie draft where he'd be an absolute steal IMO. If I was ranking small forwards in this draft I'd go 1. Joe Berry, 2. Benny Barrett, 3. Isaac Kako, 4. Malakai Champion, 5. Rhys Unwin, 6. Evan Bradley but that's just me.
would we be to take any of these in the 2nd round?

would we be to take any of these in the 2nd round?
Berry and Kako don't make it to our 2nd rounder I don't think. Champion perhaps gets picked up by one of the WA clubs.

My guess would be the others would be 3rd round onwards/rookie.

Kade Herbert has again been impressive at league level for the Eagles on a wing. I thought he looked quite average in the U18 carnival, but has generally been good at SANFL league level.

I liked Jacob Newton as that small forward/mid in the carnival.

Both the above possibly picks lower down the order or rookie? But wouldn’t mind giving them a spot above some players on our list who are out of contract. Especially Newton.
Herbert back to his star form of last year. Strong overhead, great skills and hard working. Went into nationals after missing two games with injury. Had his best state game in the last SA game Vs Vic metro when he played a high half forward.
Newton was consistent for the national competition as a small forward. Not really big enough for a mid fielder outside of the U18 SANFL comp so had to reinvent himself as a small forward at state level. May not transfer into the big boy game but love to see him have a crack.

Kade Herbert has again been impressive at league level for the Eagles on a wing. I thought he looked quite average in the U18 carnival, but has generally been good at SANFL league level.

I liked Jacob Newton as that small forward/mid in the carnival.

Both the above possibly picks lower down the order or rookie? But wouldn’t mind giving them a spot above some players on our list who are out of contract. Especially Newton.
Kade has a Zak Butters look in the way he plays.

Last edited:
Later than that I'd think given he really didn't get a fair crack by Bamford at the Nationals unless Port take him with their 1st, according to draftguru they only hold pick 32, 50 and 86. My guess is they'll be hoping he gets through to the rookie draft where he'd be an absolute steal IMO. If I was ranking small forwards in this draft I'd go 1. Joe Berry, 2. Benny Barrett, 3. Isaac Kako, 4. Malakai Champion, 5. Rhys Unwin, 6. Evan Bradley but that's just me.
We'd need to pick him before 40 though? Likely that Port would match? Or maybe just rookie?

Apologies if I’m coming across as harsh on the kid. I wish him well. I just don’t understand the fixation on him given, to my eye anyway, his obvious deficiencies. We tend to overhype SA lads here. We did it with his brother Arlo and team mate Roberts, many on this board calling for them at our first pick/s.

I’m still trying to find a passage of play where I think “gee, Sid is classy”. Constant hand balling to players under pressure, doesn’t kick many goals and his kicking is questionable.

He is however a good runner, is speedy and knows how to find the footy. Which I think inflates his value.

Of course, I won’t lie and say I’ve seen more of him than you have. So perhaps I’m misinformed. I can only go on what I see.
I agree from what I've seen, which is only fairly recent. I'd prefer Lalor.

We'd need to pick him before 40 though? Likely that Port would match? Or maybe just rookie?
They did draft 2 decent small forward prospects last year Tom Anastopolous and Lachie Charleson so I think they would hope he slips through to the rookie draft.

Unsure on much of the draft this year. How big of a difference is us getting pick 4 vs pick 5? Im confident saints won't get a compo pick 5 for Battle. Heard it's even and lots of mids. If we end with pick 5 are we likely to split our pick to get two good mids or is there an elite mid there at 5?

Hahaha. That's funny. AFL is cooked.
What Victorian teams benefit?

Edit - there it is. Essendon of course.
Might suit us in a couple of years if Jermaine Miller keeps improving...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahaha. That's funny. AFL is cooked.
What Victorian teams benefit?

Edit - there it is. Essendon of course.
There is a massive massive discrepancy in the NGA setups with some far, far more likely to yield AFL players than others and ours isn't one likely to yield too much. Kangaroos and WB had the best ones, qld and NSW ones obvs good too. Massively ripped off again.

That said, most of the other changes look great, trading 2 yrs worth of picks well overdue.

I think the proposed NGA changes are great news for us. The guy Cal Twomey currently rates as the #1 pick for 2026 (Jermaine Miller) is from our NGA.

ETA: this is wrong, he rates Cochrane as the #1 pick. But Miller is also tracking well so far.

I think the proposed NGA changes are great news for us. The guy Cal Twomey currently rates as the #1 pick for 2026 (Jermaine Miller) is from our NGA.

ETA: this is wrong, he rates Cochrane as the #1 pick. But Miller is also tracking well so far.
Carlton F/S Cody Walker would be my Number 1 and nobody close on the bits I've seen to this point.
B.O.G. in the U16's Nationals decider against SA.

Capture.PNG

Anyone who predicted the NGA rules would be tightened right before we had a player selected in the national draft, then immediately loosened, was spot on.

Was paying $1.01 to happen. AFL is very very predictable

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back