Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I kinda of agree, but you have to admit that you're biased.

Lalor and Draper for me... although Smillie isn't a million miles behind. Lalor and Draper do the most damage per possession.
I’ve got Draper and Smith more in the sure things category

For highest ceilings as mids I think Lalor , Langford , Travaglia ( I think he can transition into a mid ) and Bo Allen as danger in Texas said

Yep, genuinely deep draft

A guy like Ashton Moir would be lucky to go before 50 this year
Strangely Ashton had probably his best VFL game on the weekend..19D's 13K 6hb 2.2

For highest ceilings as mids I think Lalor , Langford , Travaglia ( I think he can transition into a mid ) and Bo Allen as danger in Texas said
Keep a very close eye on another WA talent Hamish Davis..

I guess we're using different criteria then. I see "high ceiling" as the mids that have the potential to be the most damaging if they find enough of the footy in there. Thinking JHF, the guys that can burst clear and deliver a killer ball inside 50. You've picked guys that are part time mids right now, who might not be midfielders at AFL level or at least have a lot of development needed.

Langford has probably played the most in there (Lalor last year). But Langford is quite slow, and doesn't win a lot of clearances yet. He's more of a first receiver who can impact with his raking left boot, but when he wins it himself can struggle to find enough space inside to use it. His best asset is his elite footy IQ which allows him to anticipate the play and be moving into space to receive the footy after a turnover or other transition moment. He's not a super impactful stoppage player yet.

Travaglia is a possible. I've only seen him play inside mid a couple of times so I have not much to go on to judge what he would even look like as a mid.

Bo Allan is an agent of chaos inside. He barges straight forward leaving destruction in his wake and only occasionally take the ball with him. I can see him with high upside for sure given his size and power, if he develops some of the subtleties of the craft.

I guess we're using different criteria then. I see "high ceiling" as the mids that have the potential to be the most damaging if they find enough of the footy in there. Thinking JHF, the guys that can burst clear and deliver a killer ball inside 50. You've picked guys that are part time mids right now, who might not be midfielders at AFL level or at least have a lot of development needed.

Langford has probably played the most in there (Lalor last year). But Langford is quite slow, and doesn't win a lot of clearances yet. He's more of a first receiver who can impact with his raking left boot, but when he wins it himself can struggle to find enough space inside to use it. His best asset is his elite footy IQ which allows him to anticipate the play and be moving into space to receive the footy after a turnover or other transition moment. He's not a super impactful stoppage player yet.

Travaglia is a possible. I've only seen him play inside mid a couple of times so I have not much to go on to judge what he would even look like as a mid.

Bo Allan is an agent of chaos inside. He barges straight forward leaving destruction in his wake and only occasionally take the ball with him. I can see him with high upside for sure given his size and power, if he develops some of the subtleties of the craft.
Reason I’ve got Langford with high ceiling is he’s shown an ability to take big contested marks and can kick it 55m + . He’s got a balanced inside / outside game , you’re definitely underrating his clearance game at champs as he posted big numbers there , an average of 6 per game ain’t too shabby . Maybe not so much at Coates level

Just size too at 190cm +, the ceiling is definitely high if he can develop his game

Champion’s WCE academy right? With the new rules he’ll get there (same with Barrett/Kako and Port/Ess)
yep, Fred Rodriguez another I think gets drafted.

Scratch Rodriguez I just trealised he's 2025 so he'll be a leading WA contender next year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Three strong senior SANFL performances in a row now for my current choice for number 1 draft pick Sid Draper. He split his time pretty evenly between onball and half forward, and it was arguably at half forward where he did most of his damage in this game showing his potential versatility as a prospect. In a brilliant sequence late in the third quarter Draper was pivotal in a three goal burst for Souths, booting 1 goal himself and directly assisting two more, effectively sealing the game.

Decision making looked a bit better this game

Just too talented in the air and at ground level (especially at that middling size) for mine to go any lower than 30, seems to more often than not find to get involved in the game too

But I doubt we’ll draft two 3rd talls
Not in Twomeys top 40 it seems as left out if his “next 10 considered for top 30” article

Everyone has their favourites :)
How many of his Sandringham Dragons has he got in his top 40? Does love him a Sandy Dragon and doesn't mind a Oakleigh Charger or 3? ;)

Wonder if we're thinking about Dodson with a 2nd round pick.

We obviously need a developing ruck on the list, or will we cherry pick someone from the state leagues?
I'd be surprised if he's not right up near the top of Hamish's board given our reported strong interest in Taylor Goad last year and Alex is far better credentialed than Goad ever was.

Problem is he's the top credentialed ruck in this draft (if he chooses AFL) and the other leading ruck prospect Logan Smith is tied to the GWS so it's quite feasible Alex is long gone before our 2nd pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back