Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he's Richmond bound, anyhow wouldn't be in my first 3 or 4 picks for us if I was picking, Preferably we need a player with real explosiveness and possibly more size
Jagga is my pick for Richmond as well. What about if Josh Smillie fell to our pick and both Lalor and Draper were still there . Which one would you take?

Quite a few Coates Talent League draft prospects playing VFL this weekend.
Jagga Smith (Richmond)
Ollie Warburton (Collingwood)
Joe Harrison (Sydney)
Tom Gillett (Brisbane)
Billy Richardson (Brisbane)
James Barratt (Essendon)
Adrian Cole (Sandringham)

Jagga is my pick for Richmond as well. What about if Josh Smillie fell to our pick and both Lalor and Draper were still there . Which one would you take?
toss up between Draper and Lalor, very different types but both have that explosiveness we need in our mix, waiting a bit on Sam Lalor to get up to something like match fit after his well documented injury issues before I plonk for one or the other.

Edit : Sam Lalor again missing from the Rebels line-up on the weekend, likely required for Geelong Grammar as will ruck Flynn Penry on Saturday.

Last edited:

Draper - I posted before I dont think Smillie is going to be rated as high in 5 years time

I'd be surprised if he's not right up near the top of Hamish's board given our reported strong interest in Taylor Goad last year and Alex is far better credentialed than Goad ever was.

Problem is he's the top credentialed ruck in this draft (if he chooses AFL) and the other leading ruck prospect Logan Smith is tied to the GWS so it's quite feasible Alex is long gone before our 2nd pick.
Are you aware if there is a time frame on this choice he is going to make, ie college basketball, draft or is it draft at our own risk ?

Wonder if we're thinking about Dodson with a 2nd round pick.

We obviously need a developing ruck on the list, or will we cherry pick someone from the state leagues?
I've been hoping we would draft a development ruck for years and we ignore it every year. Can't see that changing this year unfortunately, we obviously don't like the idea of drafting a ruck and would prefer to try and trade for one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back