Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean 3 pass drafts after 5 fails??

There's not too much recruiting skill with MM, he fell into our lap as a FS
Curtin is so well-regarded they've given him 2 sub games
4 pass (last year's too early to judge) and 2 failed, Thilthorpe and Fogarty aren't failed drafts.

Last edited:
Not including last year's as it too early, definitely yes.

We’ve gotten a total collective of 4 quarters of football from last years draft class. MM was a FS who we were taking no matter what. I like Rachele and think he will be fine but he’s hardly setting the world on fire. Would he go top 10 in a redraft? NWM would be a much better choice.

Bond, Taylor, Dowling all currently serviceable role players, none of which are clearly outperforming thier draft position. Soligo the only one who is doing that.

Even TT is all projection currently. Saying we have “nailed” the last couple of drafts is clearly a very long now to draw.

We’ve gotten a total collective of 4 quarters of football from last years draft class. MM was a FS who we were taking no matter what. I like Rachele and think he will be fine but he’s hardly setting the world on fire. Would he go top 10 in a redraft? NWM would be a much better choice.

Bond, Taylor, Dowling all currently serviceable role players, none of which are clearly outperforming thier draft position. Soligo the only one who is doing that.

Even TT is all projection currently. Saying we have “nailed” the last couple of drafts is clearly a very long now to draw.
You clearly didn't watch Rachele transition into the midfield for the first 8 weeks last year in his 2nd year when he averaged 20 disposals and kicked 10.10 but fitness faded in the 2nd half as expected from a 2nd year player playing full midfield (that's not setting the world on fire to you?) but somehow Nicks decided to play him in a new role this year further up the ground in the graveyard part of the ground, despite that his output for that role has been extremely good.

Taylor, Dowling and Nankervis were all late picks in 2021 and 2022 and given their development to date, we've clearly nailed these picks. It's too early to judge last year's draft but Curtin and Ryan are both developing very well in the SANFL which is why I said we nailed the last few drafts in 2021 and 2022.

Again, very ‘glass half empty’

Dowling is clearly outplaying many that went above him, even some first rounders. Same with Nank. Small sample size with Taylor and Bond, but the former looks to be fitting in without any problems, and Bond at least looks good defensively (though jury still out there overall)

Rachele and RT have clearly shown they have a lot of AFL-level talent. Yeah there’s levels of projection there, but if we keep developing them right they’re easily long-term guys

I wouldn’t call it either ‘nailed’ or ‘failed’ yet, but overall 20-22 is a lot more promising than 16, 18 and 19 (23 too early to tell)

Despite this, I wouldn’t be upset if we saw a change in head recruitment soon, just to freshen things up. It’s been 13 or so years after all, with a lot of years out of the finals

I’m no draft guru and I’ve never seen him play a full game, clearly he can find the ball, but how concerning is his kick? I don’t think I’ve seen very many highlights where it’s been a highly skilled kick, if anything it seems to be the opposite.
His kick is his cryptonite for sure

I guess in draftees you look for weapons and the more weapons the more chance they’re elite

His are speed agility endurance competitiveness ground ball and handball

The kick is the thing they can hold him back from being elite , probably the surest thing in draft to being a good player , be interesting to see whether he can be more than that though

Highest floor player in draft I think

Dowling is clearly outplaying many that went above him, even some first rounders. Same with Nank. Small sample size with Taylor and Bond, but the former looks to be fitting in without any problems, and Bond at least looks good defensively (though jury still out there overall)

Rachele and RT have clearly shown they have a lot of AFL-level talent. Yeah there’s levels of projection there, but if we keep developing them right they’re easily long-term guys

I wouldn’t call it either ‘nailed’ or ‘failed’ yet, but overall 20-22 is a lot more promising than 16, 18 and 19 (23 too early to tell)

Despite this, I wouldn’t be upset if we saw a change in head recruitment soon, just to freshen things up. It’s been 13 or so years after all, with a lot of years out of the finals
Dowling Taylor Nank and Soligo are outplaying their draft positions by miles

Don’t mind negativity when it’s warranted , but not everything is negative

His kick is his cryptonite for sure

I guess in draftees you look for weapons and the more weapons the more chance they’re elite

His are speed agility endurance competitiveness ground ball and handball

The kick is the thing they can hold him back from being elite , probably the surest thing in draft to being a good player , be interesting to see whether he can be more than that though

Highest floor player in draft I think
The speed + accumulation is enough to suggest to me he can be a pretty high impact player, if the kick is at least average

This recent run of SANFL form has pushed him from top 5 to top 3, for me

13 years is way too long unless you’re one of the best in the business

If you were and your were from Tasmania then I think the new Tasmanian team would come hard for you … for a fact they didn’t

13 years is way too long unless you’re one of the best in the business

If you were and your were from Tasmania then I think the new Tasmanian team would come hard for you … for a fact they didn’t
Damn, that’s telling

Need a succession plan with Shedda at the very least, if not a direct replacement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got him top 5 now and pushing further , just need to see what some of the other guys do too , especially O’Sullivan and Lalor
He’s above O’Sullivan for me, just more runs on the board

I have him and Lalor very close, Draper higher floor, Lalor higher ceiling (in fact maybe the highest in the draft)

Dan Curtin is 197cm and we have the untried Edwards
Think Curtin is the long-term Dawson replacement rather than a truly physical tall mid

Smillie would solve that issue if he falls to 4. Langford too, though I don’t rate him quite as much. Maybe we’re the team offering 6 years to Conor Nash lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back