Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Alastair Clarkson confirms the club will be targeting veteran leaders in the off-season, hoping to land a Jack Viney, Ollie Wines, Cal Ward type of player.

What would Port get for Wines?

2nd rounder

Draft watchers(Mutineer, Jeff Crowe, Danger In Texas) - are you a little surprised that Cal T's latest rankings(Top 30) contains only 4 lads from outside of Victoria? I know you have made it clear that both Vic teams dominated this year but that's only 13%. ESPN has 8 players on their latest rankings from outside of Victoria.
I have to wonder if, from approx Pick 10 on, there could be a number of non-Victorian lads selected that won't feature in some of these rankings, but who clubs have highly rated.

Draft watchers(Mutineer, Jeff Crowe, Danger In Texas) - are you a little surprised that Cal T's latest rankings(Top 30) contains only 4 lads from outside of Victoria? I know you have made it clear that both Vic teams dominated this year but that's only 13%. ESPN has 8 players on their latest rankings from outside of Victoria.
I have to wonder if, from approx Pick 10 on, there could be a number of non-Victorian lads selected that won't feature in some of these rankings, but who clubs have highly rated.
Yes and no

Historically I reckon Twomey’s had a slight VIC Metro bias, but this year it’s probably justified

The only state-related qualm I have is that Draper should be a tad higher

I think its an astute observation. I have a great deal of respect for Cal but he has his limitations and blind spots like everyone does. He spends a lot of time on weekends getting around to Melbourne APS games and is strongly influenced by those, and he attends all the melbourne based champs games in person.

Wouldn't surprise me if he starts to have a more balanced and nationwide view now that APS is finished.

I posted earlier that I was surprised Ben Camporeale wasn't in the top 30. Was SA best player in U18. 2 SA boys in it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not too much this year tbh, the vic country v metro game at marvel was best standard champs game i've seen in 15 + yrs of watching them

There's one kid cody angove i'd have in top 30 from WA but don't reckon Cal has missed any Allies or SA in that top 30, i'm no fan of the camporeale's or herbert

next year it should be 50-60% allies in 1st round so i'll be surprised if there's >50% vics next year

PA may be better breeders than us. A few f/s available this year. Todays 'Tiser

Port Adelaide has four sons of guns on its draft radar this year, but its best academy prospect may be a speedster of Papua New Guinean heritage. Some recruiters rate South Adelaide’s Benny Barrett higher than the club’s father-son candidates Rome Burgoyne, Louie Montgomery, Ky Burgoyne and Oliver Francou. Barrett, who is part of the Power’s Next Generation Academy, has caught the eye in the Panthers’ reserves and under-18s because of his X-factor. The 174cm left-footer was the fastest player tested at the SANFL’s Centre of excellence combine in February, clocking 2.87sec in the 20m sprint and a blistering 0.97 over 5m.Born in Australia to Papua New Guinean parents, Barrett is viewed as a potential small forward at AFL level but has also played through themidfield. Woodville-West Torrens halfback Rome Burgoyne (Peter), North Adelaideutility Louie Montgomery (Brett) and West Adelaide defender Ky Burgoyne(Shaun) are the sons of 2004 Power premiership players. Roosters midfielder Oliver Francou’s dad, Josh, was runner-up in the Brownlow Medal at Port Adelaide in 2002.Barrett, Rome Burgoyne and Montgomery are among 14 SA prospects invited to the state draft combine in October, along with Crows father-son prospect Tyler Welsh. A recruiter, who wanted to remain anonymous, believed Barrett was the likeliest Power academy player to be drafted. Benny Barrett is their best out of the five,” the recruiter told this masthead. He’s got what you look for in a small forward. "His power for his size is really good, he’s hard to tackle at times, he can burst from congestion and push the pace. "Clubs can match bids from rival teams on father-son prospects. Under a rule change this year, teams will again be able to do so on NG players from pick 1.If Barrett’s name is not called during the national draft, the Power can automatically add him as a rookie. "I think someone will take Barrett late, but if he gets through to the rookie draft … Port would be pretty happy,” the recruiter said. Another club scout rated Rome Burgoyne – the brother of Power wingman Jase Burgoyne – as Port’s best prospect. “He’s not overly combative but he reads the game really well and has got skills,” he said. “I see him in the back half of the draft, maybe even as a rookie.” But a third recruiter believed Montgomery was the pick of the bunch. “He’s got some power, a good footy brain and some upside,” he said. “I’m not sure where he gets drafted, probably 30 onwards. “Barrett has got some tricks, but I think he needs another year in a SANFL program before he pushes for a spot on an AFL list, but that’s where the NGA might be in his favour.”

Adelaide’s two father-son prospects are Welsh, son of ex-Crows forward Scott Welsh, and Jack Michalanney, whose dad is Norwood great Jim. Touted as a potential top-30 prospect after booting five goals as an under ager in SA’s under-18 win over Vic Country, Welsh looks likely toslide due to an inconsistent season “Adelaide will definitely get him cheaper than they thought this time last year,” one recruiter said of the 191cm forward. Welsh has played eight SANFL games for the Crows this year. Rome, Ky and Montgomery have played seven between them for Port Adelaide. Ky, who is tied to both the Power and Hawthorn, and Michalanney are considered the least likely of the prospects to be drafted. Montgomery, whose dad played 78 games for the Western Bulldogs and was now a senior assistant coach at GWS, was only eligible at the Power. South Adelaide talent manager Mark Clayton was hopeful Barrett, who was the SANFL under-16s best-and-fairest winner in 2022, would find an AFL home.“I think he’s got just as much potential as any of the father-sons involved at the Power at the moment,” Clayton, a 1999 Port Adelaide premiership player, said “I think he’s improved enormously this year and someone will give him an opportunity, even if Port don’t.

”PORT ADELAIDE
Benny Barrett
Next Generation Academy (Papua New Guinean heritage). Midfielder/small forward SANFL club: South Adelaide Recruiter says: “He’s nimble, agile and has that burst of speed over 20m,which is what makes him appealing for a lot of clubs. His 5m sprint was absolutely elite. He showed at the championships level he has the ability to crumb and get in the right areas. ”
Ky Burgoyne
Son of: Port Adelaide and Hawthorn champion Shaun Burgoyne. Half-back SANFL club: West Adelaide/Port Adelaide Recruiter says: “He plays predominantly as a shutdown defender and he tested very well athletically this year. He was the second-fastest guy in the SA under-18 testing. Ky doesn’t have his dad’s skill but he does have some really good athletic attributes.
”Rome Burgoyne
Son of: 2004 Power premiership star Peter Burgoyne. Half-back/midfielder SANFL club: Woodville-West Torrens/Port Adelaide Recruiter says: “He’s really improved his footy this year. He doesn’t really crash in, but neither did Jase and Jase has got the footy chip and so does Rome.”
Oliver Francou
Son of: Port’s three-time Showdown medalist Josh Francou. Midfielder SANFL club: North Adelaide Recruiter says: “He was in consideration for the SA under-18 program and was unlucky to miss. He’s been playing well and has gone between school(St Peter’s College) and club this year.”
Louie Montgomery
Son of: 2004 Power premiership defender Brett Montgomery. UtilitySANFL club: North AdelaideRecruiter says: “He looked pretty good at league level and I think he’s apretty good player. He’s got flexibility with good halfback stuff and in timehe could develop as a forward.”

ADELAIDE
Tyler Welsh Son of: Former Crows leading goalkicker Scott Welsh. ForwardSANFL club: Adelaide Recruiter says: “He’s a see ball, jump at the ball type of forward. He’s agood competitor who can really mark and kick it.”

Jack Michalanney
Son of: Norwood premiership forward Jim Michalanney. Defenders NFL club: Norwood Recruiter says: “He’s about 10cm shorter than his brother but has got a bit of mongrel and grunt about him. He’s had a solid year and shown flashes.”

Agree

At this stage we don’t have picks to get him and we look like losing picks for ANB and Luko
Personally I wouldn't have any real problem giving our 2025 1st pick to get a pick/picks for Alex Dodson.

WE DESPERATELY NEED A YOUNG DEVELOPING RUCK AND ALEX FITS THE BILL PERFECTLY.

The big plus is he's an athletic ruck that follows up as good as any prospects that have come through in recent years and I think has the potential to be right at the top of the heap of AFL rucks in time.

Big Problem is I think he will go surprisingly high in the draft order now.

Personally I wouldn't have any real problem giving our 2025 1st pick to get a pick/picks for Alex Dodson.

The big plus is he's an athletic ruck that follows up as good as any prospects that have come through in recent years and I think has the potential to be right at the top of the heap of AFL rucks in time.

Like a young Brodie Grundy?

The other huge plus is he’s home grown which is probably more important for rucks than any other position as it can take until they’re 25+ to be 1st ruck regularly

* hoping it doesn’t take him quite that long

But seriously look at the age of all the 1st rucks in comp , not many under 25

Agree. I would like the crows to target pick 17 (Brisbane's first who need points for Ashcroft).

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back