Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Dyson sharpe was right up there with the best today in the huge shock win over Sturt
Sturt will do a Port of last year, 13 wins in a row and end up going out in straight sets. Unbelievable choke, which is a very common occurrence with any team I follow.

Anyway, Sharp looks like he'll be something very special.

Hes just so much stronger than the other SANFL ruckman so his height doesnt matter so much. He won the Jack Oatey in the 2022 Grand Final. He has dominated this year. Dont think hed be able to do the same to AFL rucks though

A bit like Mumford. Shorter than other rucks but physically imposing

Like both Jeff and I have said we don't have him in our top 5's, I really want some explosiveness and for mine he just doesn't have that, not much chop overhead for a big guy, not overly quick and kicking can be hit and miss for mine...though he did hit a beautiful precise daisy cutter yesterday that hit his player on the tit..
and hasn't the urgency for the tall mid gone with the acquisition of curtin. its all about ground ball, speed out of congestion and kick accuracy to our forwards. whoever that is is who we need to select

A bit like Mumford. Shorter than other rucks but physically imposing
Still think he'd be handy back up for an AFL ruck, I think he'd at least be competitive at AFL level unlike the crows current back up.

Last edited:
Sturt will do a Port of last year, 13 wins in a row and end up going out in straight sets. Unbelievable choke, which is a very common occurrence with any team I follow.

Anyway, Sharp looks like he'll be something very special.
Well being there, from part way through the 3rd quarter to the end centrals kicked 7 goals straight to 1 goal, marked everything in the back half and got the rub of every hack kick from a pack or contest as they all landed in the laps of their players. Sturt only have themselves to blame here as the game should have been over at half time but they kicked very poorly for goal. It all culminated in a very close loss. Play that game 20 times, sturt win 19 of them but this could be terminal as glenelg are bang in form now and we need to regroup and take our bloody chances much better

Last edited:
Obvious caveat of there's still a lot of water to go under the bridge, but at this stage I'd seriously be considering bundling up our 2025, 2026 and 2027 FRPs to try and move up high enough to get Sharp.
Watching him live, he hits the right spots but is really well physically developed for a 17 year old kid. He competed really strongly against the sturt onball battery that is as tough and uncompromising as they come at SANFL level at finals intensity. Not quite as dynamic as JHF but its still Dyson's underage year so who knows what level he could elevate his game to next year

Obvious caveat of there's still a lot of water to go under the bridge, but at this stage I'd seriously be considering bundling up our 2025, 2026 and 2027 FRPs to try and move up high enough to get Sharp.
So in effect, engineering a move similar to what the Power did to get Horne-Francis.

and hasn't the urgency for the tall mid gone with the acquisition of curtin. its all about ground ball, speed out of congestion and kick accuracy to our forwards. whoever that is is who we need to select

Still hearing it’s Smillie for our pick.
Hopefully that’s incorrect info

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ah well if we're unlucky it will only be for a max of 3 years him being a Vic Metro lad.

Longshot to end up with us but possible

Speed wise I’d be surprised if he was much quicker than Mcasey if at all , more physical though
You’re Obvs a fan of Herbert - tell us what you like and where he will be taken

I don’t see an afl player but am open minded to good opinions
You had me doubting since he’s missed a bit of footy this year, but after viewing some footage this week I’m convinced, Herbert is a no-nonsense footballer that gets the job done. Check out Noobers video https://youtu.be/e2JQNOB7ebw SA vs VicM, he does all the team things, at 0:39 he covers the defensive side while others run forward. At 2:38 he catches Reid (same game also catches Hollow and Gross) holding the ball, then while other boys are claiming the free, he’s already taken off ready for the next kick. Had 4 kicks inside 50 that directly result in goals.

Not just me either, I saw on Wednesday he won the state player’s player award, voted by peers for the one who puts team first, on and off the field.

Highly rated by eagle SANFL coaches, Jade Sheedy (last year at age 17) and Sam Jacobs, plus U18 coach Shane Reardon saying he’s the hardest working player he has coached. Won the SANFL league breakthrough player of the week, when underage, twice.

SANFL photographer Peter Argent today on instagram https://www.instagram.com/peterargentsnaps?igsh=MW94dHBkc201eXJhaQ== was also complimenting his work rate and team first attributes, after his U18 finals performance yesterday.

He has Hodge-like voice and leadership, strong hands, never fumbles, strong through the hips, great awareness and game sense and takes the game on at the right time. I saw an SA based phantom draft he was rated at pick 38 and I think if he was in CTL he would be rated much higher than some think if he hadn’t missed games this year.

Just have a google of some other SANFL league performances.

https://youtu.be/V8WrJ3YX3Mk

Round 14 AAMI Rookie - Eagles' Kade Herbert (Bute FC)YouTube·SANFL·25 July 2023YouTube

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You had me doubting since he’s missed a bit of footy this year, but after viewing some footage this week I’m convinced, Herbert is a no-nonsense footballer that gets the job done. Check out Noobers video https://youtu.be/e2JQNOB7ebw SA vs VicM, he does all the team things, at 0:39 he covers the defensive side while others run forward. At 2:38 he catches Reid (same game also catches Hollow and Gross) holding the ball, then while other boys are claiming the free, he’s already taken off ready for the next kick. Had 4 kicks inside 50 that directly result in goals.

Not just me either, I saw on Wednesday he won the state player’s player award, voted by peers for the one who puts team first, on and off the field.

Highly rated by eagle SANFL coaches, Jade Sheedy (last year at age 17) and Sam Jacobs, plus U18 coach Shane Reardon saying he’s the hardest working player he has coached. Won the SANFL league breakthrough player of the week, when underage, twice.

SANFL photographer Peter Argent today on instagram https://www.instagram.com/peterargentsnaps?igsh=MW94dHBkc201eXJhaQ== was also complimenting his work rate and team first attributes, after his U18 finals performance yesterday.

He has Hodge-like voice and leadership, strong hands, never fumbles, strong through the hips, great awareness and game sense and takes the game on at the right time. I saw an SA based phantom draft he was rated at pick 38 and I think if he was in CTL he would be rated much higher than some think if he hadn’t missed games this year.

Round 14 AAMI Rookie - Eagles' Kade Herbert (Bute FC)YouTube·SANFL·25 July 2023YouTube

No doubt he’s a good team mate and leader amongst the 18 yo boys but I just don’t see afl talent

I reckon he does fumble and not a great fan of his kick

Appreciate your opinion and back up though

Be interested to see if he goes main draft , I’ll say no but you may well be right

Really ? I’d doubt that but possible I guess

Be an interesting player , I’d prefer others

I would have been ecstatic if 8 months ago someone told me we’d get smilie as always thought he’d be top 2 with FOS

Ps my first quote you’ve referenced above is about Cody Curtin- dans brother

The 2nd quote is Herbert

Really ? I’d doubt that but possible I guess

Be an interesting player , I’d prefer others

I would have been ecstatic if 8 months ago someone told me we’d get smilie as always thought he’d be top 2 with FOS
I’d still be happy with him as a pure prospect, I’d be happier with others but on talent alone I’d be cool with it

The ‘FIGJAM that doesn’t work hard enough’ talk is really concerning to me, though

I’d still be happy with him as a pure prospect, I’d be happier with others but on talent alone I’d be cool with it

The ‘FIGJAM that doesn’t work hard enough’ talk is really concerning to me, though
Yep he’s kind of gone down in my estimation for a few reasons as loved him last year and thought he’d be close to #1

I think he’s almost too tall for a mid which effects his ground balls and I’d prefer a better kick and /or burst speed

He is big and powerful and a clearance machine which we lack

No doubt he’s a good team mate and leader amongst the 18 yo boys but I just don’t see afl talent

I reckon he does fumble and not a great fan of his kick

Appreciate your opinion and back up though

Be interested to see if he goes main draft , I’ll say no but you may well be right
I see you’re a Crows man, he reminds me a bit of Ben Keays, just gets the job done without the fanfare. Steady and Effective.

Think he’s gonna be a first possession clearance winner at the next level. Big and powerful, but not exactly a bulky frame yet either, so I think he can add even more size and become dominant at the top level, if he wants to

Booming kick gives him a POD compared to the Mrouches of the world, too (as well as height of c), plus I think he’s generally more athletic than Langford from what I’ve seen

Attitude is a big red flag if it’s true though - not a Phillipou situation where’s he’s a hard-working FIGJAM (if those rumours were correct, as well)
Yep he’s kind of gone down in my estimation for a few reasons as loved him last year and thought he’d be close to #1

I think he’s almost too tall for a mid which effects his ground balls and I’d prefer a better kick and /or burst speed

He is big and powerful and a clearance machine which we lack

Remove this Banner Ad

Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back